Denon DCD-600NE VS DCD-800NE CD player Smack Down

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I just received the Denon DCD-800NE CD player and tested it against the DCD-600NE. When you stack the two on top of each other they look identical from the front with the only difference being the 800NE has a USB port and a Source button on the front. The 800NE shipped with a RC-1234 remote and the 600NE a RC-1223 remote. In a stacked configuration both units start playing or stop with the single remote button push on the RC-1223. It's funny being able to control them both at the same time. This made it easy to setup identical listening tests of the same CDs.

800.png

Sound Test

When using the analog outs the DCD-800NE DAC offers a slightly improved clarity of sound. However, when using the digital outs, the DAC is by passed and both units sound the same as they are functioning as CD transports.

Remote
I own the Denon AVR-X4500 Receiver and wanted to be able to use it’s model RC-1219 remote to control the DCD-800NE. On page 266 of the 4500 manual it explains holding down the CD and OPTION button until the DEV, TV and AVR indicators on the remote are flashing green turns on this remote programming feature. Now when CD is pressed on the 4500 receiver remote the play/pause, fast forward buttons control the 800NE and the numeric buttons on the bottom select the track. This is a nice way to reduce remotes on the coffee table.

USB Playback
I tested the 800NE with Hi-Res 192kHz FLAC (HDTracks), Apple Lossless (ALAC) and AIFF 44.1kHz CD rips with iTunes. The FLAC files play without delay. However, folders with ALAC and AIFF files first go thru every file and on the display say they are UNSUPPORTED only to start playing after the delay. In the case of AIFF for some reason the player has a bug where it shows “UNKNOWN” as the artist on the display along with the song name, but the AIFF files will play.

unspport.png

For the $200 higher price tag of the 800NE over the 600NE, you get a slightly better DAC and USB playback. Even if the USB firmware is slightly odd it does work. AND it does play AIFF while the Denon AVR-X4500 Receiver does not. The real problem is it doesn’t support HEOS and once you experience using the iPad to select your music and play HiRes files - there’s not much desire to use the USB port on a CD player with a tiny screen you have to go look at.

Which Player is Best?
If you are using the analog outs the DCD-800NE would be my preference. However, the Denon AVR-X4500 Receiver has a great DAC that provides the same quality sound to my ears when using the digital out of the 800NE or the 600NE. Is the USB port on the DCD-800NE worth the extra cost? In todays world of HEOS iPad apps I would have to say no. The only time I would use it is if I was setting up a party play mix and I only had AIFF sound files. Otherwise, the Denon AVR-X4500 USB port plays everything except AIFF and can be controlled by HEOS - which is a far superior remote interface that can also stream the HUGE selection of music on Tidal. HEOS doesn't currently support Qobuz which makes Tidal the KING of Hi Fi streaming on HEOS for me.

Both CD players do a good job. If I had to choose between the two and I already had a Denon AVR-X4500 or better receiver, I would probably save the $200 and go with the Denon DCD-600NE CD player and use it's optical out. It's hard to lose with either one of these great CD players. AND I will always buy CD's of music I love. While streaming is a wonderful way to be introduced to new music, there will always be some albums I want to own. Enjoy!

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis