Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Hey @Squishman, can you feed the cable down the middle of the pipe without it contacting any screws or rough edges? Then you can seal off the top with a "domed" blob of outdoor silicone to prevent water ingress. That way the cable is better protected, and it won't "rattle" in the wind. I did that on a 12 foot mast at our Cabin last summer for a Cell Phone Antenna. Worked great! ;)
Due to the fact that there are screws in the pipes, I'd say no. If I remove them, then there are burrs of course.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Finally working on this project. Took the antenna down and hooked up a temporary cable. Happy to diagnose that the antenna is fine. So it was a connection somewhere and/or the extra length that was causing the loss of signal. Now to order parts.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I am re-reading this entire thread. I want to make sure I order the proper stuff. Plus, it is great info so I can do it correctly! Fortunately, the hole I drill through the wall will be behind an external lamp. Inside at that spot, I have some wires there anyway for part of my system, so it will blend in nicely.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Looking again at terminated end on the picture, I say yeah. Outside layer.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Only cutting off one end, then after running the cable, I'll be attaching a new terminal. Apparently, the cable has multiple shields. Question: can I use the outermost shield? Think they are all one (or common) conductor?
Actually, you pull back the outer braid over the black jacket. Then you peel off the first layer of foil. Then you you pull back the inner braid over the black jacket. Then check for stingers, before putting on the compression fitting. Lots of YouTube videos if you want to see how it's done.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Actually, you pull back the outer braid over the black jacket. Then you peel off the first layer of foil. Then you you pull back the inner braid over the black jacket. Then check for stingers, before putting on the compression fitting. Lots of YouTube videos if you want to see how it's done.
That's good. No video needed. Thanks Jim!

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Waiting for Amazon with my compression crimper and terminals. Otherwise, it is done. It works great. After I re-mounted the antenna, I tried it with the new cable just out the door and before I snipped off one end. After running the cable exactly where I wanted it, it was around 48 or 49 feet from antenna to TV. So, good thing I only snipped off the end. I siliconed the antenna end terminal after tightening it. And siliconed around the grommet where the cable enters the house. The bamboo stick over the hallway is where it enters the house. Above the lamp outside, you can see the cable. Thanks for all the help! (Amazon just arrived).
283193438_10223412503593048_6098657944571054412_n.jpg283262626_10223412654036809_8753769322380930206_n.jpg

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Now it's done. Never used a compression tool before. I was imagining it to be a better crimper style. It is not! Too bad I only needed the kit for one terminal.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Waiting for Amazon with my compression crimper and terminals. Otherwise, it is done. It works great. After I re-mounted the antenna, I tried it with the new cable just out the door and before I snipped off one end. After running the cable exactly where I wanted it, it was around 48 or 49 feet from antenna to TV. So, good thing I only snipped off the end. I siliconed the antenna end terminal after tightening it. And siliconed around the grommet where the cable enters the house. The bamboo stick over the hallway is where it enters the house. Above the lamp outside, you can see the cable. Thanks for all the help! (Amazon just arrived).
View attachment 56175View attachment 56176
Now it's done. Never used a compression tool before. I was imagining it to be a better crimper style. It is not! Too bad I only needed the kit for one terminal.
Glad to hear the project is finished and works great. Compression connectors are a totally different and vastly superior method than crimped on connectors. All of the Cable and Satellite company installers specify compression these days. It's a bit more costly but far less headaches (service calls for them) down the road.

Now you can just sit back and enjoy your TV.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis