Rug to hardwood floors, what can I expect?

O

otto2008

Audioholic Intern
Hi all -
My room size is 26W x 17L x 20ft cathedral ceilings, open concept.
Installing hardwood floors soon just curious on what changes in bass I may hear and benefits or solutions in getting the bass I need?
My set up:
Yamaha RX 700
Polk monitor 70s
Polk monitor 40s
Crowne XLS 1500 amp
Subwoofer - PSA XV30FSE , HSU VTF 15H

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm interested in hearing thoughts on this from those who know more than I, but if I had to guess, I am not sure carpeting will make much impact on bass response. Significant difference on high frequencies though!

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
overall 'absorption' will decrease and depending on the rest of the room, acoustically speaking, it may become overly bright and or a bit boomy.

friend of mine did what your doing and FWIW putting a large area rug between the listening position and speakers, it did help.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yes... not so much an issue with low frequencies. Those soundwaves are way to long to be affected by a carpet. But the higher frequencies will definitely get bounced around.
A good padded area rug to absorb the early reflection from/floor bounce is a must!

Once you get everything done and the room re-furnished, try picking a quiet moment and just clapping in the room. If you can hear that Slap Echo, then you will know for certain that there is some work to do.

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
People think of early reflections only from the side walls, typically ...which doesnt complete the picture at all. You've got early reflections from the floor, ceiling , back wall etc.. these can all affect the sound stage.

Installing a thick(shoot for 100% pure wool..not the synthetic hard variety) rug between the speakers & listening position, made a night & day difference in my 2 ch music listening in office room with hardwood floor. My left ear was taking the blunt of the reflections..and this is not just ear fatigue. No more!

It will not have a big impact on the lower frequencies(bass) , but Mikdado is right, room can become overly bright and the high frequencies get bounced around, without a large area rug....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis