RSL 12s or Emotiva XS15

S

Shaunw45

Enthusiast
Thanks for letting me into the forum. I can’t wait to find out more about these 2 subs. I was wanting to know which sub will have more of a in your face type of base in my home theater system? With the mark down of the emotiva XS 15 I feel like it’s a contender with the Rsl 12s in terms of price and size and it has 100 more watts of rms than the rsl 12. Also has a 5 year warranty but has a class AB amp instead of the D like Rsl. I haven’t foumd any comparisons on these 2 and hardly anything at all on the emotiva xs15.
My home theater setup will be my living room. I had a Samsung q990c and it just got lost in my room, so I got rid of it. My living room is about 22x24 and opens up into the dining room so you can add another 15x15 for that. Also I have 27 foot vaulted ceilings throughout. So have a have a bridge going across the room and will be hanging some Parker’s on that as well behind the couch. I sit about 15 feet from the 85” tv . I plan on getting the rsl in a 7.1.2. In the cg23m version all speakers for fro t sound stage and all surround the same speakers. I will have a x3800h for receiver and will eventually get another sub and a seperate amp to power the fro t stage so it will eventually be a 7.2.2.So it’s a pretty large open area. Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That is a pretty big room with 27' ceiling, so duals is likely the way to go. Based on the fact that you do intend to get a second one, I'd probably go with the RSL.

S

Shaunw45

Enthusiast
That is a pretty big room with 27' ceiling, so duals is likely the way to go. Based on the fact that you do intend to get a second one, I'd probably go with the RSL.
I was thinking the same thing about dual woofers eventually. Would it be bad to have to different size subs. Maybe get the rsl 12 now and later if I when I add the second sub get a emotiva xs15 if I can find some good reviews on them eventually or do they need to be of the same brand and size? I wish someone on here had real world experience with the emotiva xs15, but I’ve found only one review online. Thanks again

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I was thinking the same thing about dual woofers eventually. Would it be bad to have to different size subs. Maybe get the rsl 12 now and later if I when I add the second sub get a emotiva xs15 if I can find some good reviews on them eventually or do they need to be of the same brand and size? I wish someone on here had real world experience with the emotiva xs15, but I’ve found only one review online. Thanks again
Get RSL's.
That Emotiva has been out a while now....if you have to dig for reviews or comments about it, you kinda have your answer.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
When going duals, it isn't about brand, I'd stick with the same sub. Calibration will be much easier when their response and performance is matched.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’m afraid I wouldn’t touch emotiva anything these days. They’re just not the same company they used to be.
RSL on the other hand, has excellent customer service and great products. The 12s especially. Joe told me a few years ago they were working on a big boy sub. It might not be an 18 incher, but it’s a very high quality unit. It’s hard to compete with at the current price too.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I don't know much about the Emotiva sub, but my hunch is that the RSL sub would have deeper bass extension, and the Emotiva would have more midbass punch and probably more output above 40Hz. That is just speculation though. In this price range, also look at the Hsu Research VTF-3 mk5 and Monoprice Monolith 12" THX Ultra.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
. My living room is about 22x24 and opens up into the dining room so you can add another 15x15
Find a different place to put any kind of sound. Let me guess, you have wood floors too.
Honest, it will be a mess whatever you do. Peace.

S

Shaunw45

Enthusiast
Get RSL's.
That Emotiva has been out a while now....if you have to dig for reviews or comments about it, you kinda have your answer.
Exactly what I was thinking, the lack of reviews makes me nervous.

S

Shaunw45

Enthusiast
When going duals, it isn't about brand, I'd stick with the same sub. Calibration will be much easier when their response and performance is matched.
I read that same thing about calibration being more in line about not chocking off the stronger of the 2 subs so thanks for your input.

S

Shaunw45

Enthusiast
I’m afraid I wouldn’t touch emotiva anything these days. They’re just not the same company they used to be.
RSL on the other hand, has excellent customer service and great products. The 12s especially. Joe told me a few years ago they were working on a big boy sub. It might not be an 18 incher, but it’s a very high quality unit. It’s hard to compete with at the current price too.
I’m leaning towards the rsl 12s and I would add extra big boy if they did come out with it after I bought the 12 for sure. Something about those huge subs with the grill of just looks so good looks like everyone has nothing but good things to say about RSL.

S

Shaunw45

Enthusiast
I don't know much about the Emotiva sub, but my hunch is that the RSL sub would have deeper bass extension, and the Emotiva would have more midbass punch and probably more output above 40Hz. That is just speculation though. In this price range, also look at the Hsu Research VTF-3 mk5 and Monoprice Monolith 12" THX Ultra.
Thanks I’ll take a look at those also, you just made it more complicated

S

Shaunw45

Enthusiast
Find a different place to put any kind of sound. Let me guess, you have wood floors too.
Honest, it will be a mess whatever you do. Peace.
I have carpet and I have zero echo or anything like that, but yeah not an optimal place for a surround sound. But it’s better than just tv speakers. I guess.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’m leaning towards the rsl 12s and I would add extra big boy if they did come out with it after I bought the 12 for sure. Something about those huge subs with the grill of just looks so good looks like everyone has nothing but good things to say about RSL.
Well if you’re adding one anyways, I would choose from Rythmik or HSU, or monolith etc. but to the point above, calibration is more than just holding the more capable sub back. The phase anomalies and port contributions can make dissimilar subs very difficult to integrate.
And yeah, can’t say enough about RSL. Spent a lot of time with Joe Rodgers. Great company, great guy.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
I have carpet and I have zero echo or anything like that, but yeah not an optimal place for a surround sound. But it’s better than just tv speakers. I guess.
glad about the carpet, good luck!

Sealman

Sealman

Junior Audioholic
With the mark down of the emotiva XS 15 I feel like it’s a contender with the Rsl 12s in terms of price and size and it has 100 more watts of rms than the rsl 12. Also has a 5 year warranty but has a class AB amp instead of the D like Rsl. I haven’t foumd any comparisons on these 2 and hardly anything at all on the emotiva xs15.
My living room is about 22x24 and opens up into the dining room so you can add another 15x15 for that. Also I have 27 foot vaulted ceilings throughout. So have a have a bridge going across the room and will be hanging some Parker’s on that as well behind the couch. I sit about 15 feet from the 85” tv . I plan on getting the rsl in a 7.1.2. In the cg23m version all speakers for fro t sound stage and all surround the same speakers. I will have a x3800h for receiver and will eventually get another sub and a seperate amp to power the fro t stage so it will eventually be a 7.2.2.So it’s a pretty large open area. Thanks again for your help.
My vote would be for the Emotiva simply because it has a larger driver which "should" provide more output than the Speedwoofer.
That is a large area to fill with a single sub so your plan for two is on point.

Honestly with that large of a space I would look into something with an 18 or 21 inch driver to start with. Yes the cost will be a lot more but it is better to do it right the first time.

S

Shaunw45

Enthusiast
Well if you’re adding one anyways, I would choose from Rythmik or HSU, or monolith etc. but to the point above, calibration is more than just holding the more capable sub back. The phase anomalies and port contributions can make dissimilar subs very difficult to integrate.
And yeah, can’t say enough about RSL. Spent a lot of time with Joe Rodgers. Great company, great guy.
Are you saying to add one of those other brands with a RSL 12s or just buy 2 of the other brands to start with and so t get a RSL 12s at all.Sorry just wasn’t sure what you was saying.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Are you saying to add one of those other brands with a RSL 12s or just buy 2 of the other brands to start with and so t get a RSL 12s at all.Sorry just wasn’t sure what you was saying.
Your post read to me like you were gonna add the emo even after getting a second RSL. If that were the case, I’m still recommending not getting the emo. But instead something from Rythmik, PSA, monolith, etc.
imo you’ll want matching subs. So four 12s would be very nice in there. If you have a penchant for BASS, then a pair of fv18 from Rythmik, or even a pair of 21’s from PSA, OR a 24” fromRBH or funk. The rabbit hole is deep my friend!
Edit: or better yet, some DIY devastators…
At the end of the day it depends on goals. And how loud and low you can spend!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
My vote would be for the Emotiva simply because it has a larger driver which "should" provide more output than the Speedwoofer.
That is a large area to fill with a single sub so your plan for two is on point.

Honestly with that large of a space I would look into something with an 18 or 21 inch driver to start with. Yes the cost will be a lot more but it is better to do it right the first time.
I agree with the 18 and above sentiment, but without numbers I might be so sure the emo would be better. Not to mention failure rates and buns for CS.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis