Rotel...why so retarded?

TABCON

TABCON

Audioholic
Okay, maybe retarded is a poor choice of words, how about slow?

Don't get me wrong, I have a Rotel RX-1052 and an RCC-1055 I use for whole house audio. When I first started thinking about a serious home theatre, I considered Rotel. I'm glad I chose Denon instead. Rotel doesn't even have any HDMI connections. What's up with that? I realize they may be purists and all, but IMHO, their AV products don't even approach the same level as high end Denon products.

I wanted to connect a Toslink cable from my Airport I-Tunes and was amazed to see the Rotel didn't have one. No HDMI, no toslink...not even a digital coax connection. If this is merely a purist thing, then I wonder why I had to purchase a Musical Fidelity tube buffer to make the Rotel sound not so "transistory"?

Retarded, maybe not...behind the times, I would definitely
say affirmative.

Tabcon

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Every manufacturer is going to have pro's and con's with their product vs. some other company. Yes Denon packs more features into their receivers. But from my knowledge, and research Rotel amplification is better.

It all comes down to choosing what product is better for your needs today and in the future. This is not to say one is better then the other, just different.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Denon packs more features into their receivers. But from my knowledge, and research Rotel amplification is better.
Yet I find myself unsatisfied with the combination of the two trying to get the best of both worlds. Sound quality is great but I can't achieve the volume levels that I could with my previous setup. I haven't put the SPL meter to it yet. Maybe it's a cleaner sound and just doesn't sound as loud as a result.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
You have the mainstream receiver manufacturers (Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo) and then you have the more 'specialized' manufacturers like Rotel.

The mainstream manufacturers constantly upgrade and offer every new feature under the sun. The specialized manufacturers don't keep up with current trends and try to differentiate themselves by claiming improved sound quality without what they consider unnecessary bells and whistles.

F

FguerraG

Junior Audioholic
Depends if you want features or high quality components.

unless you go way way up in Denon's line of components Rotel will kick Denon's *** any day of the week

you might not be able to hook your ipod directly to your Rotel but most Rotel owners won't care about listening to an ipod either.

Now about hdmi connections , I know it would be a great feature but it's not a necesity

I chose Rotel because of quality and craftsmanship but that's just my opinion.

W

Woodroc

Enthusiast
Rsx-1067 & 1057

Don't get me wrong, I have a Rotel RX-1052 and an RCC-1055 I use for whole house audio. When I first started thinking about a serious home theatre, I considered Rotel. I'm glad I chose Denon instead. Rotel doesn't even have any HDMI connections. What's up with that? I realize they may be purists and all, but IMHO, their AV products don't even approach the same level as high end Denon products.

I wanted to connect a Toslink cable from my Airport I-Tunes and was amazed to see the Rotel didn't have one. No HDMI, no toslink...not even a digital coax connection. If this is merely a purist thing, then I wonder why I had to purchase a Musical Fidelity tube buffer to make the Rotel sound not so "transistory"?

Retarded, maybe not...behind the times, I would definitely
say affirmative.

Tabcon
Check their website, there are 2 surround receivers available, RSX-1067 & RSX-1057. The 1057 has HDMI

E

EnzoPolotso

Audioholic Intern
You have the mainstream receiver manufacturers (Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo) and then you have the more 'specialized' manufacturers like Rotel.

The mainstream manufacturers constantly upgrade and offer every new feature under the sun. The specialized manufacturers don't keep up with current trends and try to differentiate themselves by claiming improved sound quality without what they consider unnecessary bells and whistles.
Toslink and Coaxial Digital connections are bells and whistles?
Heh. Keep in mind I haven't researched anything, but if their latest stuff really doesn't have either of those options, that's kind of difficult to explain. "Purist" or not. It's a freaking A/V Receiver not an integrated stereo amp.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Toslink and Coaxial Digital connections are bells and whistles?
Hey, I was trying to be diplomatic. :D

I would never buy Rotel. They have been known to make CD players that don't even have power buttons! I guess a power button is something a true purist has no need for, after all it would add 50 cents to the cost of production and that would reduce the profit margin.

Besides, everytime I see Rotel I think of Ronco or Popeill - infomercial brands from the '80s.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The receiver mentioned in the begining of this thread is a stereo receiver, most stereo receivers made today by any manufacturer do not have Toslink or Coaxial SPDIF connections. They are purely analog receivers.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

And thats mostly a load of marketing crap. I have a lot of experience with Rotel products, all of which are made in China I might add. Dollar for dollar the amplification in their receivers is no better and sometimes inferior to their Japanese counterparts (ie. Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, etc). Don't buy into the fact that just b/c a manufacturer doesn't give you all the bells and whistles that their product performance will be better.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai

To many people including myself the whole HDMI mess is to be avoided like the black plague,maybe rotel figured that their customer base is made up of buyers who are mainly interested in performance issues as opposed to connection issues.

I personally commend rotel for not rushing to jump on the HDMI bandwagon along with the rest.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Don't buy into the fact that just b/c a manufacturer doesn't give you all the bells and whistles that their product performance will be better.
Don't worry, I don't buy it for one second. I was just pointing out that eliminating the latest features is what they use to claim that the sound quality is better.

TABCON

TABCON

Audioholic
Take a look at the back of Rotel's flagship surround processor, the RSP 1098, there is not ONE HDMI port! Folks, this is supposed to be high tech stuff, it even has a built in color monitor on the front. I was a fraction of an inch away from buying this unit. Based on my current (and not too distant future) AV needs, I'm very happy I didn't.

I'm not saying Rotel is crappy, I just don't understand the logic behind not offering the basic digital necessities. The Toslink is there though.

Tabcon

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Hmm..

I wonder if some of the Rotel owners step will step to the plate? Now that you've been served your dinner, no better then denon,yamaha and marantz!;)

Last edited:
mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I was a fraction of an inch away from buying this unit. Based on my current (and not too distant future) AV needs, I'm very happy I didn't.

Tabcon
Then just move on to something else if Rotel isn't your thing.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Take a look at the back of Rotel's flagship surround processor, the RSP 1098, there is not ONE HDMI port! Folks, this is supposed to be high tech stuff, it even has a built in color monitor on the front. I was a fraction of an inch away from buying this unit. Based on my current (and not too distant future) AV needs, I'm very happy I didn't.

I'm not saying Rotel is crappy, I just don't understand the logic behind not offering the basic digital necessities. The Toslink is there though.

Tabcon
They have not updated their top of the line processor line for about 2 years. Rotel isn't a large company that can't come out with a new model every 6 months like Denon, Yamaha, or Onkyo. That said, they are a decent product but I feel they are about in line with NAD in the respect they don't upgrade very often and they aren't competitively priced with Yamaha or the other mass producers. I don't really think that you are going to find a great deal looking at Rotel or NAD.:(

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis