Room acoustics - Vaulted Ceiling

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
A slightly smaller center isnt actually a lot less noticeable and after a week or so you eont really notice any center at all unless it clashes a lot in color or is black on top of a white cabinet or something like that and if so a small change in size doesnt really matter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

M

myatix

Enthusiast
OK... Fair enough!

I was planning to wall mount the TV anyway but I was going to put the receiver in a cabinet under the TV, but perhaps I should find another location in the room to store the receiver.

So many decisions...

@Leemix There is actually a huge difference between the B&W HTM71 and HTM72 both in size and sound...

Appreciate the knowledgeable input to this project!

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Yes, but after a while the size difference isnt so noticable but the sound quality difference remains.
I have a center thats quite similar to the htm71 in design and love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
OK... Fair enough!

I was planning to wall mount the TV anyway but I was going to put the receiver in a cabinet under the TV, but perhaps I should find another location in the room to store the receiver.

So many decisions...

@Leemix There is actually a huge difference between the B&W HTM71 and HTM72 both in size and sound...

Appreciate the knowledgeable input to this project!
From an acoustics perspective, I think your best bet would be to have the audio gear on a separate rack and have a simple stand for the Center channel under the TV. Something I'm going to work on myself in time. The potential diffraction issues of having your speaker on a table top or in a cubbie is unattractive to me, even though the resulting distortion may be inaudible. ;)
That said, a master RF remote is all you need to control your equipment, even if its behind you. Perhaps that may appeal to your Wife's sensibilities: A compromise solution where you celebrate your audio gear and love for good sound as it should be, but also celebrate her aesthetics by concealing the "worst of it" being the rack of electronic boxes. (I would love for my front wall to be that minimal!)
Just be mindful, that gear does need proper ventilation for a healthy and long life. :cool:

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I thought I’d show you what I’m working with as a comparison point. Apples and bananas, probably... ;)

That’s my front... pending receipt of my main speakers still being built, and the replacement of the metal shelving unit, and my cable management is only about 1/3 complete.

Side view to illustrate my attempt to minimize the diffraction issue of how my center is placed: tv is back away from the speaker baffles, center is pulled forward and aimed just below my ears at LP, and the current L/R speakers are on stands meant for their ultimate placement as surround (thus aimed down at my LP). Those concrete pads are going to be the home of my mains when they come in.

The vaulted ceiling I will be mounting my Atmos rig on later this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ok. I’ll share too! (Work zone. Don’t judge lol)

See, we all have compromises!

@ryanosaur do you ever notice voices coming from below your tv? I only ask because thE CC seems a little low. Maybe it’s just an illusion of the lens...?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
@ryanosaur do you ever notice voices coming from below your tv? I only ask because thE CC seems a little low. Maybe it’s just an illusion of the lens...?
Hope you're staying warm, William!
It's about 9" below the screen. I'm going to adjust when I reset for the Phil-3s, or build a new rack. I have some room to move the TV down (plus its a little high for my preference... but those d@mned comprimises!). But to answer your question, no. It sounds fine. Those BMRs have excellent dispersion, though. I could see a more directional tweeter/mid creating a challenge.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hope you're staying warm, William!
It's about 9" below the screen. I'm going to adjust when I reset for the Phil-3s, or build a new rack. I have some room to move the TV down (plus its a little high for my preference... but those d@mned comprimises!). But to answer your question, no. It sounds fine. Those BMRs have excellent dispersion, though. I could see a more directional tweeter/mid creating a challenge.
Hey brother, bundled up right! It’s currently 10°f. Definitely below average...ugh

Appreciate the answer. I don’t even know why it occurred to me but you know how once you see something...

Might run down to Missouri for the weekend.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hey brother, bundled up right! It’s currently 10°f. Definitely below average...ugh

Appreciate the answer. I don’t even know why it occurred to me but you know how once you see something...

Might run down to Missouri for the weekend.
Somebody on the other forum said it’s 50 below the average temp in Iowa. Don’t slip on the ice while running! :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Somebody on the other forum said it’s 50 below the average temp in Iowa. Don’t slip on the ice while running! :)
I actually mis posted. It was -10° this morning. High of 20. Too low... I’ll try to blink all the way through Iowa. Nothing to see anyway!!!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I actually mis posted. It was -10° this morning. High of 20. Too low... I’ll try to blink all the way through Iowa. Nothing to see anyway!!!
You can say that again! Iowa’s only saving grace: it’s smaller than Kansas!

Oof. Don’t miss the sub-zeros at all, man.

M

myatix

Enthusiast
Thanks for sharing guys... I am a little further behind! ;)

About to put all cables in the ceilings and walls. Speaking of which can anyone recommend an HDMI 2.1 cable that is perhaps optical? I want to pull at least one 20 meter (65feet) cable to my rack in another room, where I have my Plex server.

IMG_6051.jpg
IMG_6048.jpg

IMG_6053.jpg

IMG_6051.jpg

Last edited:
OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
I thought I’d show you what I’m working with as a comparison point. Apples and bananas, probably... ;)

That’s my front... pending receipt of my main speakers still being built, and the replacement of the metal shelving unit, and my cable management is only about 1/3 complete.

Side view to illustrate my attempt to minimize the diffraction issue of how my center is placed: tv is back away from the speaker baffles, center is pulled forward and aimed just below my ears at LP, and the current L/R speakers are on stands meant for their ultimate placement as surround (thus aimed down at my LP). Those concrete pads are going to be the home of my mains when they come in.

The vaulted ceiling I will be mounting my Atmos rig on later this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would be really curious about how you managed to install ceiling atmos speakers here as your setup is close to mine when it's about the vaulted ceiling with beams. I am currently using front height presence and I can't really reach the Dolby recommended 30 degrees so I am not sleeping well knowing I an not in a valid configuration :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I would be really curious about how you managed to install ceiling atmos speakers here as your setup is close to mine when it's about the vaulted ceiling with beams. I am currently using front height presence and I can't really reach the Dolby recommended 30 degrees so I am not sleeping well knowing I an not in a valid configuration :)
Sadly, I have yet to do this. The Atmos setup I would like to pursue seems to not be supported by my AVR... a driving factor in my plans to upgrade.

On my right side with the low-slope, I will be mounting on the wall. My left side will require something special.
I am also considering using front and rear height positions now because of my room (so considering 5.x.6), and adding Top Middle in the wall mount locations described.

Something to keep in mind as you look at your room and how to set up speakers is that we all have some limiting factors to deal with. There are tradeoffs with our own decisions and spaces. Using the guidelines given by Dolby but adjusting to your own space is quite often necessary. The trick is in following best practices where possible, experimenting with less favorable locations where necessary, and deciding on the value of the tradeoff.
Obviously, if SQ suffers because of the tradeoff, don't do it. But there are ways to solve for many of these issues... it just becomes a matter of priority, then, whether you pursue those solutions.

So quibbling over a few degrees, in my opinion, is pretty much meaningless. Getting close, as close as you can within reason, is fine. Using a High-Wall mount as opposed to an in-ceiling Speaker, if that is all you can do, and it works in your space... is fine. ;)

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Sadly, I have yet to do this. The Atmos setup I would like to pursue seems to not be supported by my AVR... a driving factor in my plans to upgrade.

On my right side with the low-slope, I will be mounting on the wall. My left side will require something special.
I am also considering using front and rear height positions now because of my room (so considering 5.x.6), and adding Top Middle in the wall mount locations described.

Something to keep in mind as you look at your room and how to set up speakers is that we all have some limiting factors to deal with. There are tradeoffs with our own decisions and spaces. Using the guidelines given by Dolby but adjusting to your own space is quite often necessary. The trick is in following best practices where possible, experimenting with less favorable locations where necessary, and deciding on the value of the tradeoff.
Obviously, if SQ suffers because of the tradeoff, don't do it. But there are ways to solve for many of these issues... it just becomes a matter of priority, then, whether you pursue those solutions.

So quibbling over a few degrees, in my opinion, is pretty much meaningless. Getting close, as close as you can within reason, is fine. Using a High-Wall mount as opposed to an in-ceiling Speaker, if that is all you can do, and it works in your space... is fine. ;)
I am even thinking about having stretching steel cables from back to front wall to support top speakers. But it won't look good I am afraid ;)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I am even thinking about having stretching steel cables from back to front wall to support top speakers. But it won't look good I am afraid ;)
I think stretching cables would be unsuccessful lol. I shared before but the Yamaha thread gets filled very quickly.
I think there are many ways to suspend speakers from the ceiling. My need some imagination though. Even something simple like this might work.

Cables and chains are options as well. I would research professional gear solutions, as there are many venues that hang speakers all around.

RynoDino my friend! I think for you a side height installation is what I would go for. I see you’re interested in .6. My reticence there would be in that certain tracks lock to the center heights and don’t use the front and rear heights. Seems like video games don’t suffer that, but I’m stressing my brain cell to conjure that information lol.
I agree that a few degrees here and there don’t matter. The guidelines are just that. Guidelines. NOT hard fast rules. I don’t think that great should be the enemy of good, and some Atmos IS better than none. I think your 6012 is up to the side height task.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis