Robb elementary shooting in TX

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Trouble with so many politicians, mostly Repubs in this case, is they are more concerned with votes from the wacko right and their outreached 2A beliefs than a common sense approach.
and here is but one problem of the 'wacko right' ..........

Ted, what a turd ........

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
A few qualifiers are needed here with your explanation when comparing a 9mm handgun round and 5.56 NATO rifle round (.223 in civilian language) and that is the projectile (bullet) being used in each. As well as the distance fired. Ballistically speaking the 9mm is nothing more than close range defense round primarily because of capacity and recoil. Whereas the .223 is an excellent varmint round out to 3-400 yds.

As for your bolt action rifle thoughts, many fine choices and a properly loaded .223 will do just fine
For sure at a distance 9mm isn't going to be as good. Even in a rifle, it is only good to about 100yds because velocity drops off and weight brings it down. I was speaking about it as a more of a defensive round at close range. Either way, both are capable of doing what they were designed to do.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Curious, what makes an assault rifle a particularly effective choice in getting feral hogs (assume they're feral, they can definitely be nasty f*ckers)?

Would you have any qualm in registering such, and having qualified somehow for such a weapon if the purpose and effectiveness are there as justification? I know it starts to get bureaucratic, but generally seems assault rifles are more suited to killing humans.....
The gun is registered and so are the others I've purchased through dealers. It should be required for people to not only go through training, but get a license to own one of these. The only reason it's good for hogs is if they're in a group, I can fire off 5 shots and land one as opposed to deer where I've really got one shot and that's it.

I feel like guns should be as easy to buy as a car.

1. You should have a license to operate one before purchase. Special guns require a special license.
  2. The license requires a training course to be completed.
  3. Once the gun is purchased it must be registered and inspected. This includes individual purchase.
  4. Inspections are once a year for guns that will be in use (this one's a bit much, not sure the point with guns, just trying to be consistent)
  5. You must carry insurance in order to use your gun
Did I forget anything?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I have a 9mm PCC rifle that still qualifies as an "AR" in the eyes of the law. It is great for target shooting, though I bought it for home defense since the property at the time was quite large. For indoors, it is basically not going to be useful IMO, so the pistols would be first option. Even at 9mm, the penetration would still be pretty high I feel, less velocity but higher mass. IIRC, in ballistics gel, the 9mm penetrates deeper and stays whole, while 556 has the potential to fragment. I have little use for my rifle now besides target shooting and hate to say that I would not have a problem giving it up either. I do like the AR format due to the extreme flexibility and availability of parts to put to use for almost any application, but really don't see the average consumer needing one, or anything with 30+ rounds for that matter.

For hogs, I would actually think a bolt rifle with a larger and/or higher velocity round would be better and would not come with a 30 rounder. IMO, a solid quality bolt would probably be a little less that a quality AR.
I agree. If it doesn't work great for hogs I'll probably get a .308 or something like that. That's another discussion.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
The gun is registered and so are the others I've purchased through dealers. It should be required for people to not only go through training, but get a license to own one of these. The only reason it's good for hogs is if they're in a group, I can fire off 5 shots and land one as opposed to deer where I've really got one shot and that's it.

1. You should have a license to operate one before purchase. Special guns require a special license.
  3. Once the gun is purchased it must be registered and inspected. This includes individual purchase.
  4. Inspections are once a year for guns that will be in use (this one's a bit much, not sure the point with guns, just trying to be consistent)
Did I forget anything?
Yea you forgot something….run for office!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan

Did I forget anything?
Safe storage of firearms and ammunition?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I was speaking about it as a more of a defensive round at close range. Either way, both are capable of doing what they were designed to do.
"For sure at a distance 9mm isn't going to be as good. Even in a rifle, it is only good to about 100yds because velocity drops off and weight brings it down."

It would, if it had more powder behind it.

My cousin's husband is paranoid and has bought 9mm ammo in case lots of 1000 rounds. He told me about this at Thankgiving one year and I asked if it was FMJ or hollow point, he said it was FMJ. He hadn't thought about the fact that FMJ is a bad choice for home defense. He didn't like my comment about living in 'the mean streets of ___________, WI". He's in a different county, where they rarely have problems and if they do, it's usually one goofball who goes off the rails.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yet, the chances are good he will be reelected?:eek:
He almost lost last time. I'm not sure. He has really screwed some things up. Like his Lil vacation stunt in the snowpacalypse last year but the way politics is so out there right now so volatile it's really hard to predict what will happen.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Safe storage of firearms and ammunition?
That's a bit different and I think would depend on a few factors. Ammo needs to be safely stored just in the event of a fire. I don't want first responders to get shot at by nobody while trying to put out a fire.

Everything should require safe storage. My guns are paperweights without ammo, and it's locked up tight. I don't keep them loaded. I have kids.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
He almost lost last time. I'm not sure. He has really screwed some things up. Like his Lil vacation stunt in the snowpacalypse last year but the way politics is so out there right now so volatile it's really hard to predict what will happen.
If Beto had kept the "I'm coming for your assault rifles" thing out of his mouth, he probably would have one. I don't know anyone that doesn't think Ted's a POS, but Texas democrats aren't doing themselves any favors. I'll vote against Ted every opportunity I get.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Hope and prayers? :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

That's a bit different and I think would depend on a few factors. Ammo needs to be safely stored just in the event of a fire. I don't want first responders to get shot at by nobody while trying to put out a fire.

Everything should require safe storage. My guns are paperweights without ammo, and it's locked up tight. I don't keep them loaded. I have kids.
Boy, you must have a huge desk.:D

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
For sure at a distance 9mm isn't going to be as good. Even in a rifle, it is only good to about 100yds because velocity drops off and weight brings it down. I was speaking about it as a more of a defensive round at close range. Either way, both are capable of doing what they were designed to do.
'j', you couldn't be more wrong. I have loaded and hunted with the .223 for 30 years and killed many a 'whistle pig' at over 300 yards. Now granted it is 'game dependent'. Beyond that my .243 Ackley rules supreme.

Last edited:
Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General

Did I forget anything?
I said, yes, run for office! I don’t understand how anyone could possibly object to this.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis