Reviewing Home Theater Related Product Reviews

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
In light of our recent review of the Lexicon BD-30 and some of the subsequent A/V publications trying to ride the wave of controversy surrounding it by publishing their own so called "reviews", we are republishing this classic article originally authored by the late Tony Federici. When re-reading this article, its amazing how many online A/V websites fit the mold laid out herein which gives one pause to wonder if they actually have product in hand when conducting their reviews. Did they conduct any objective analysis or measurements? Did they post product images in usage or just simply use the manufacturers photos? As a reader this is something you must decide for yourself. Food for thought.

Discuss "Reviewing Home Theater Reviews" here. Read the article.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
In light of our recent review of the Lexicon BD-30 and some of the subsequent A/V publications trying to ride the wave of controversy surrounding it by publishing their own so called "reviews", we are republishing this classic article originally authored by the late Tony Federici. When re-reading this article, its amazing how many online A/V websites fit the mold laid out herein which gives one pause to wonder if they actually have product in hand when conducting their reviews. Did they conduct any objective analysis or measurements? Did they post product images in usage or just simply use the manufacturers photos? As a reader this is something you must decide for yourself. Food for thought.

Discuss "Reviewing Home Theater Reviews" here. Read the article.
How about if we review the reviewers? Some of those people are either insane, clueless or just doing it for a paycheck with no regard for honesty, accuracy or integrity..

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Although I never correlated the press release with a review, I can see it, as other industries I know are similar.

Magazines are a tough business, especially now, and are largely smoke and mirrors.

At work we get a bunch of car magazines, like, basically every single one. The lobby has them, offices have them scattered about, so forth. Comparing issues is laughable, sometimes even down to the wording. Obviously ripped from press releases. So, this industry isn't alone.

MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
There's a few reasons I no longer wanted to read printed audio/video materials. The sense of legitimacy was one of those reasons. Always on the lookout for good audio/video review material, I heard of Audioholics and was impressed with them (you guys) right from the start. It seemed "right". I was worried when Audioholics opened it's store. I did worry (and still do) about how unbiased Audohiolics would be when reviewing a product not sold on their site. So far there's no reason to conclude "foul play" and I think that speaks strongly towards their integrity.

Now, after Audioholics passes from Gene to someone else, well, then, that could be a different story. ;)

Keep up the great work Audioholics.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Me as amateur journalist (aka Blogger) couldn't agree more. I noticed exactly same type of BS then researching for new materials.
Luckily for me it was the founder of GovenmentSecurity.org forum who opened my eyes on this issue - Kudus to you Blake!!!

Just one note, of course same BS happens not only with government "news" but with large corporation marketing people create same kind of "reviews" and "news" about their own product by pretending to be consumers.

I'm very glad AH stands (for the most part*) indifferent to BS and corporate lies and shows us the real deal !

Notes:
(*) Ethernet over Power from Monster review...

K

kevon27

Annoying Poster
Since Audioholics seems to be one of the very few trustworthy online HT review sites, you guys need to increase your review staff very quickly.
The 2010 gear will be released soon especially AVR's, with 20 hdmi ports and 120wpc x 7 power ratings for $399.99

We are counting on AH to correctly inform us.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The 2010 gear will be released soon especially AVR's, with 20 hdmi ports and 120wpc x 7 power ratings for $399.99
I assume this is failed attempt to be sarcastic ?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Since Audioholics seems to be one of the very few trustworthy online HT review sites, you guys need to increase your review staff very quickly.

We are counting on AH to correctly inform us.
It's not easy finding qualified reviewers that have good writing skills, ability to do objective analysis and good people skills. I am open to applicants of course.

K

kevon27

Annoying Poster
I assume this is failed attempt to be sarcastic ?
If you look at the newer AVR's from Onkyo and Sony, they have 6+ hdmi ports, 1080 up-conversion, other bells and whistles;they are claiming 100+ wpc x 7 for around $400. A lot of people will get suckered into buying such things thinking that each channel will be getting 100 watts continuously.
We need to inform these people this is not the case. They'll actually be getting 30-40 wpc, nasty up-scaling and sound quality that's sub-par.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If you look at the newer AVR from Onkyo and Sony, they have 6+ hdmi ports and they a claiming 100wpc for around $400. A lot of people will get suckered into buying such things thinking that each channel will be getting 100 watts continuously.
We need to inform these people this is not the case. They actually be getting 30-40 wpc.
I agree this is problem, however much bigger problem is then certain company(s) take a great product from certain small,highly innovative and budget friendly company, slap a new wrapping, multiply original price several times and call it new product....

I'm glad AH calls such "product development" by it's real name - BS !

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
So when are you taking your approach "on the road" to other topic areas? As you say, this problem is rampant in many other fields, not just audio and home theater, and with the "corporatization" of the Internet, is getting worse by the day. Maybe a webring approach of kindred spirits in other fields so those of us wanting the facts know where we can go for trusted information.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
It's not easy finding qualified reviewers that have good writing skills, ability to do objective analysis and good people skills. I am open to applicants of course.
Even from Canada?

Besides, it's not easy either to find smart viewers that have good reading skills, ability to do an objective analysis of what they just read and good aptitudes at deciphering truth from fiction.
I am also open to great reviewers with an intelligent audience.

Last edited:
fightinkraut

fightinkraut

Full Audioholic
Just wanted to say thanks for the great article, first time reading that.

I've often lamented the lack of true objective reviews, all too often I click the search result link and find, as mentioned, nothing but a plagiarized press release. I love reading the reviews on here and hope you all keep em coming!

MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
Gene;

It's not easy finding qualified reviewers that have good writing skills
What about a reviewer who **can** have good writing skills but is clueless as to the science behind audio and video, especially those graph thingies? :D

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
So when are you taking your approach "on the road" to other topic areas? As you say, this problem is rampant in many other fields, not just audio and home theater, and with the "corporatization" of the Internet, is getting worse by the day. Maybe a webring approach of kindred spirits in other fields so those of us wanting the facts know where we can go for trusted information.
The Internet kind of sucks now. Like early 2000's I feel like it was at its best, where searching you would get really good stuff; the search engines had gotten powerful but people hadn't exploited them as much yet.... Now searching I get a bunch of garbage. There is so much fluff and corporate crap on the Internet now its just like sifting through your mail at home. Look at Facebook and Twitter now, what a load.

K

kevon27

Annoying Poster
Gene;

What about a reviewer who **can** have good writing skills but is clueless as to the science behind audio and video, especially those graph thingies? :D
You know, I always thought that having pictures and graphs should make understanding something easier. But Audioholics graphs make my head hurt. I feel like putting a dunce cap on when I try to read one of their complex articles.
I've flunked out of AV University so many times, I'm really ashamed.
But I don't want them to dumb down anything. It's up to me to learn what they are talking about..
AH is the best.

K

kevon27

Annoying Poster
The Internet kind of sucks now. Like early 2000's I feel like it was at its best, where searching you would get really good stuff; the search engines had gotten powerful but people hadn't exploited them as much yet.... Now searching I get a bunch of garbage. There is so much fluff and corporate crap on the Internet now its just like sifting through your mail at home. Look at Facebook and Twitter now, what a load.
When the internet was used for getting information (80's and 90's), it was awesome. Now, it's just about making money.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis