Reviewing Home Theater Related Product Reviews

C

cusky5oh

Enthusiast
I really enjoy the Audioholics site, however, the last real Audioholics review was January 11 2010. (I know the Lexicon/Oppo clone was later, but that really doesn't count). The article mentioned that the reviews of other websites are merely press releases. I am not defending this practice but the numerous "first looks" that now dominate the website aren't much more than a press release themselves.
I would love to see some more reviews. thats what makes this website so great!

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
The Internet kind of sucks now. Like early 2000's I feel like it was at its best, where searching you would get really good stuff; the search engines had gotten powerful but people hadn't exploited them as much yet.... Now searching I get a bunch of garbage. There is so much fluff and corporate crap on the Internet now its just like sifting through your mail at home. Look at Facebook and Twitter now, what a load.
Agreed-the SNR of my web searches has degraded significantly since the early days-nowadays the "signal" is frequently below the noise level.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I really enjoy the Audioholics site, however, the last real Audioholics review was January 11 2010. (I know the Lexicon/Oppo clone was later, but that really doesn't count). The article mentioned that the reviews of other websites are merely press releases. I am not defending this practice but the numerous "first looks" that now dominate the website aren't much more than a press release themselves.
I would love to see some more reviews. thats what makes this website so great!
I agree we need to write reviews more frequently. The problem is we are understaffed for such a task. First Look articles at least give a product glimpse and content for the site. I've personally been more focused on tech articles which I rather enjoy writing. I've got some very cool ones in the works that will be useful for people wanting to properly calibrate multiple subs.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree we need to write reviews more frequently. The problem is we are understaffed for such a task. First Look articles at least give a product glimpse and content for the site. I've personally been more focused on tech articles which I rather enjoy writing. I've got some very cool ones in the works that will be useful for people wanting to properly calibrate multiple subs.
Wow, This is exactly type of info I'm looking !!! Thanks Gene!!!

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I once got into it with the publisher/owner of an online review site that publishes monthly. Specifically I had several issues with the review of a speaker from a particular company. I questioned whether the readers were being honestly served by even having the review. I pointed out numerous reasons such as,
  • inaccuracy of information provided concerning the company
  • numerous past and ongoing improprieties by the owner of the company
  • the coziness which existed between the publication and the company
  • the unavailability of even buying the product

among other things. The general retort was that it they bothered to concern themselves which such matters, the stable of products that were available to review would be somewhat smaller. Matters of ethics or availability were said to have nothing to do with how the product performed.

On another note, please read the following that was issued by the FTC not too long ago that deals with when is a review a review and when might it be more properly called a testimonial.

http://ftc.gov/opa/2009/10/endortest.shtm

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
On another note, please read the following that was issued by the FTC not too long ago that deals with when is a review a review and when might it be more properly called a testimonial.

http://ftc.gov/opa/2009/10/endortest.shtm
That's a great find and it reminds me of a Lexicon BD-30 "review" at another website denying its a repackaged Oppo :)

D

darinp2

Enthusiast
I wasn't sure if this should go in this thread or in a new thread, but since I'm new here and can't post a new thread that made the decision easy. Some people may have seen me going round-and-round with Jerry Del Colliano on the Lexicon BD-30 review on hometheaterreview.com, where Jerry seems to be avoiding my question about whether his reviewer actually had a Stewart ST100 screen in his possession for the ST100 review on the site, which seems to be pretty much the kind of thing this thread is about. Jerry brags about how he has so many reviews and I touched on a couple of reasons he may have more in a post I made last night that Jerry has since deleted. He banned me yesterday and I think one of the big reasons was to keep people from seeing certain things, like it seems he is intent on people not actually seeing the Google Analytics numbers for sites besides his even though he has said that Google Analytics is the industry standard. Anyway, that is probably enough background for now. Since Jerry deleted the 2 posts I made last night under darinp2_again after he claimed I was an idiot and banned me as darinp2 I figured I would post the contents of those here so people can see them.

One was in a Parasound product review there. In that one I posted:
Jerry,

An idiot would be somebody who would respond to a post saying that it would be nice to see the numbers for Google Analytics that back up what you claim, by saying that Google Analytics is one of the ones that top publications use and that you've schooled the other person on that, when they mentioned in their post that they wanted to see the Google Analytics numbers. I find it amusing to be called an idiot by somebody who wasn't even smart enough to figure that out.

My guess is that you are afraid of people seeing the numbers for audioholics.com on Google Analytics versus your numbers and so instead of providing the information I said I wanted to see, you banned me to try to keep people from seeing how the sites actually compare on Google Analytics. Are you afraid of people seeing those numbers? If not, why not provide them instead of banning people to keep them from pointing out your misdirections (or for whatever other reason you think you will be helped by banning people after they ask you tough questions that you have trouble answering without looking like a fool).

Or would you need to come up with some poor excuse for why audioholics.com kills the numbers you gave for your site on Google Analytics while you claim to be #2 to stereophile.com?

--Darin
Then in the Lexicon BD-30 review there I posted basically the following, with the changes being that I fixed a mistake where I referred to the Oppo players as BD- models instead of BDP- models, and also had to slightly modify the text below to not include any actual links since I don't have enough posts here for that:
Jerry said, "As for our readership, the industry standard for measurement of online traffic is widely accepted at Google Analytics."

It seems like maybe you weren't smart enough to figure out my post in the other review here:

(Link to Parasound review on hometheaterreview site)

and think that telling people that Google Analytics is the widely accepted standard counters what I said. Did you have trouble comprehending the part of my post where I said that I would like to see the Google Analytics numbers for audioholics.com versus this site? Responding to that by saying that Google Analytics is the standard and telling the person you schooled them with that is idiotic, but it is doubling idiotic when you then call them idiotic because you can't seem to comprehend what they said. Was my post too complicated for you because I both quoted Alexa numbers and said I would like to see the Google Analytics numbers and so you actually thought that your responses countered what I posted? It seems to me like you are afraid of people seeing the actual numbers for audioholics.com versus your site by Google Analytics (which you've agreed is the industry standard), as I basically said in that other thread where you made an idiotic response to what I said and then banned me because you said I was an idiot. You and your friend Jeremy Kipnis seem to have a lot in common. He claimed I didn't know what I was talking about on a subject matter and then made a complete fool of himself as people got to see that he couldn't even answer a basic question on that subject matter. People can see that if they search for "avsforum DefinerOfReality Duh!" on Google, since Jeremy posts as DefinerOfReality on avs. You call me an idiot after you seem to have trouble even understanding my post (otherwise why would you tell me that Google Analytics was the standard and that this schooled me after I just said I wanted to see the Google Analytics numbers)? Were you so confused that you thought I said Alexa was the industry standard? Do I need to hold your hand or something for you to comprehend those things?

This is less of an IQ test than a gut check, but are you afraid of people seeing the Google Analytics numbers for audioholics.com versus this site? Or would you need to come up with some lame excuse for why they kick your butt on Google Analytics and yet you claim to be #2 to stereophile.com?

Jerry also said, "I have studied Dale Carnegie for years and have worked on inner-personal skills since I was in high school."

That may explain some of your issues. You should have been working on your interpersonal skills and not your inner-personal skills. Again, it is hilarious to be called an idiot by somebody who says they were working on their inner-personal skills. Just makes it that much funnier.

For others, in case it wasn't clear about one thing above, Ken claimed that the stereophile review agreed with his findings. That is completely false. They didn't even use the same Oppo player. Saying that the Lexicon sounded better than the $499 BDP-83 in no way means a person agreed that the Lexicon sounds better than the $899 BDP-83SE. I hope that Ken ups his reporting in the future so that he isn't so sloppy in making claims.

Jerry also said, "HTR has created more reviews than any other AV publication in any media since its launch."

And I think it is fortunate that readers here have been able to see some of the things that you have done in order to do that. For instance, posting a review from a person who was a dealer for the product at the time. I'm sure some astute readers will also realize that it is easier to post more reviews if you allow people to write a review for a product when they don't actually have the product. You brag about how successful you've been in this business for 20 years and I think people are seeing some of the stuff that many would consider very low, but that you have done to try to achieve that success. You say that you don't care about my question about whether Jeremy actually had an ST100 screen for the ST100 review that is amongst those reviews that make up your "more reviews" claim, but it seems like you spent time avoiding that question. The excuse that you don't have time for something doesn't work when it took more time to avoid the question and talk your way out of things than it would have taken to actually answer the question.

And yes Jerry, I know that you will likely ban me again in an attempt to keep people from seeing some stuff. I will be sure to save copies of these things so that I can refer back to them and I know there is at least one site willing to host copies of stuff that you delete. Then people can see what you were afraid to leave here or banned people about to keep them from pointing out the idiocy in some of your responses.

--Darin
I'm not sure if anybody else will ask him to back up his claim about being #2 by Google Analytics with numbers other than just the 313,000 he gave for his site, but if somebody does it wouldn't surprise me if he would delete that too. I think there is a good chance he will be staying up late tonight looking for posts to delete since I made my post about 1 am Pacific time and I think it took him a while to erase the content of them.

--Darin

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I'm not sure if anybody else will ask him to back up his claim about being #2 by Google Analytics with numbers other than just the 313,000 he gave for his site, but if somebody does it wouldn't surprise me if he would delete that too. I think there is a good chance he will be staying up late tonight looking for posts to delete since I made my post about 1 am Pacific time and I think it took him a while to erase the content of them.
Jerry's traffic claims aren't supported by his Alexa ranking or lack of discussions generated about his content other than his Lexicon review. I suspect Jerry took advantage of the traffic spike he got from AVS and us when we posted our review of the same product and he extrapolated a few days of traffic into a monthly average. I can't find a screenshot of his Analytics traffic anywhere on his site so it is a bit perplexing.

Incidentally, we show all of our measured traffic and ranking metrics on our advertisers page including how we rank against the competition which I don't view his site to be since its ranked so high in Alexa (the lower the # the better) and generates no discussions on any of the major forums.

http://www.audioholics.com/groups/admin/advertise

That being said it really doesn't matter about traffic b/c Jerry IMO is the ultimate salesman. I don't know anyone more successful at selling ad space to high end manufacturers than him. I only wish I were as good a salesman so I could hire more writing staff to really boost our content. Then maybe I'd be driving exotic cars and flying in privately owned jets too :)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Jerry's traffic claims aren't supported by his Alexa ranking or lack of discussions generated about his content other than his Lexicon review. I suspect Jerry took advantage of the traffic spike he got from AVS and us when we posted our review of the same product and he extrapolated a few days of traffic into a monthly average. I can't find a screenshot of his Analytics traffic anywhere on his site so it is a bit perplexing.

Incidentally, we show all of our measured traffic and ranking metrics on our advertisers page including how we rank against the competition which I don't view his site to be since its ranked so high in Alexa (the lower the # the better) and generates no discussions on any of the major forums.

http://www.audioholics.com/groups/admin/advertise

That being said it really doesn't matter about traffic b/c Jerry IMO is the ultimate salesman. I don't know anyone more successful at selling ad space to high end manufacturers than him. I only wish I were as good a salesman so I could hire more writing staff to really boost our content. Then maybe I'd be driving exotic cars and flying in privately owned jets too :)
The study also seems to show that if you happen to use MSN search, you might be a moron (or maybe you are just old and don't any better).:D

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
I feel auto review magazines are like this. I get all my issues of Automobile, Motor Trend, Car & Driver, and Road & Track only to feel like they're all saying the same thing and using the same picture sets.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I feel auto review magazines are like this. I get all my issues of Automobile, Motor Trend, Car & Driver, and Road & Track only to feel like they're all saying the same thing and using the same picture sets.
Yea and they all come out with a review of the same cars at the same time.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I wasn't sure if this should go in this thread or in a new thread, but since I'm new here and can't post a new thread that made the decision easy. Some people may have seen me going round-and-round with Jerry Del Colliano on the Lexicon BD-30 review on hometheaterreview.com, where Jerry seems to be avoiding my question about whether his reviewer actually had a Stewart ST100 screen in his possession for the ST100 review on the site, which seems to be pretty much the kind of thing this thread is about. Jerry brags about how he has so many reviews and I touched on a couple of reasons he may have more in a post I made last night that Jerry has since deleted. He banned me yesterday and I think one of the big reasons was to keep people from seeing certain things, like it seems he is intent on people not actually seeing the Google Analytics numbers for sites besides his even though he has said that Google Analytics is the industry standard. Anyway, that is probably enough background for now. Since Jerry deleted the 2 posts I made last night under darinp2_again after he claimed I was an idiot and banned me as darinp2 I figured I would post the contents of those here so people can see them.

One was in a Parasound product review there. In that one I posted:
Then in the Lexicon BD-30 review there I posted basically the following, with the changes being that I fixed a mistake where I referred to the Oppo players as BD- models instead of BDP- models, and also had to slightly modify the text below to not include any actual links since I don't have enough posts here for that:

--Darin
I think this is a pointless argument with a guy simply promoting his site. Why even bring it up? There are times to argue and times to leave people alone.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
I think this is a pointless argument with a guy simply promoting his site. Why even bring it up? There are times to argue and times to leave people alone.
WHAT? You're WRONG!!!!

Wait... what kind of time is this, the former or the latter? :D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It's time to revisit and republish this article with the latest trend we're seeing in how some magazines are publishing content; most notably "comparison" articles serving as link conduits to Amazon:

https://www.audioholics.com/editorials/reviewing-home-theater-reviews
speaking of Amazon reviews, While not perfect, there is a way to sift out obliviously fake ones without too much effort: www.fakespot.com and god knows Amazon is full with fake product reviews and Amazon is doing very little to fight it so far.

A

AllanMarcus

Enthusiast
"What makes this more scrupulous is how these articles are peppered with Amazon affiliate links to monetize every square inch of the page."

I think you meant unscrupulous.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
@gene

"Yet, other than for Audioholics, where are the e-zine reviews that cover a product in such detail?"

I know of a precious few, but not many.

Thanks for being one of the few true sources of audio reviews! Your review of the HK3490 was the main decision that led me to buy it when I spotted it on a closeout special a few years ago. I've really enjoyed it.
I'd just take what Ken R says with a grain of salt given his shameless affiliate link galore on every single page where are few dozen aff. links. But two other solid sources and I'm avid reader of both.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis