Replacing current speakers because of ear fatigue

Q

qba

Audioholic
Yes! It's what we've been saying all along! So many people underestimate how much positioning and room interaction can affect how your speakers perform, and it's really almost the most important factor. Like I said earlier it's possible to have the best speakers in the world, but totally hamstring performance with poor positioning.
Yep I know you were saying, and you were 100% right, is like I upgraded my speakers. I can't wait to test some $1000 to see if this thing can get even better.

Q

qba

Audioholic
The first contender entered the ring! It took me a while to really see the difference, I was almost sure this was a clear tie, but after trying for about 5 songs, I finally started to understand what to listen for, and some songs as well made the difference very clear, voices are much clear, some small instruments are more forward and clear. There are no arguments I'm keeping the Monitor Audio solver 50 (For now)

The next contender is the SVS Ultra, it should be home tomorrow or the day after, and on Wednesday ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0 UB52 and DALI Oberon 1 are going to battle against the winner of the SVS Ultra and the Silver 50.

I'll keep you posted!

PXL_20211227_225909442.jpeg

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ha! Look at you go, lol. You've been bit hard by the hifi bug!

Those silvers are nice looking speakers. I'm really curious to see what you say about the Ultras.

Q

qba

Audioholic
Ha! Look at you go, lol. You've been bit hard by the hifi bug!
lol yep

Those silvers are nice looking speakers. I'm really curious to see what you say about the Ultras.
I really, really want to cancel the Ultras, I think it would be so much clear that it'll make me want to keep them, but to be against the wall with all that bass would be a bad idea, plus I would be sitting so close to it, they are more for medium to big rooms, not for me wearing them as headphones lol. What do you think? should I cancel them?

Btw since the Silver 50 are always clear I really don't need to crank the volume up, which was the issue with the Sony, at low levels I felt it wasn't sounding good enough and now I understand why :)

Last edited:
Q

qba

Audioholic
The battle rages on! The Elac entered the ring today and at first, it looked like the Monitor Audio Silver 50 was just wiping the floor with the Elac, the Elac sounded muddy and muffled, then I started to raise the volume on the Elac and lowering the volume on the Monitor, the Elac started to fight back. Then my buddy the audiophile reminded me of using the DB meter app, and I realized that even when raising the volume of the Elac, it sounded good at the same DB level as where the Monitor Audio sounded the best, so raising or lowering the volume knob is irrelevant to my ear discomfort. At this point, the Monitor still sounded cleaner and more clear than the Elac so it was a more fair fight but the Monitors were still king of the hill.

Monitor Audio Issues:
I started to pay attention to the voice tonalities and started to realize that the Monitors were raising everything to a higher frequency, so voices and instruments sound like they have higher pitches to what I think they should sound like, and the higher I raised the volume the worst it gets, and the more uncomfortable one feels while listening to it. Even Elvis Presley sounded a bit like a girl in the one song I played by him. I realized that if I raise the volume on the Monitor Audio and deduct around 5 to 10% on the treble button located in front of the amp, the sound becomes easier to listen to, and voices get a more neutral pitch with less ear discomfort.

So is the clean and clear sound of the Monitor Audio just a crossover trick, or whatever other method that may be responsible for it?

Elac Issues:
They never sound as detailed as the Monitor Audio, especially at very low levels, The instruments don't seem to be as forward as the Monitors and the overall sound is not as clear. The bass is stronger and that worries me because they are going to be against the wall, but I turned off the subwoofer and both speakers have barely any bass at all, so I'm not sure why when the subwoofer is on, the Elac sound like they have at least 15% more bass than the Monitor Audio.

Elac distinctive sound:
The Elac sound like the speakers I used to listen to when I was younger, they sound warm and cozy, almost like if you are listening to music in some barely lit jazz club, like those in the movies. Doesn't matter how high they go, there is no ear fatigue, the sound stage is wider than the Monitor Audio, not as high but sometimes they are even higher, the voices become brighter and everything is just more detailed and enjoyable at those higher levels.

Breaking in speakers?
I have heard people on youtube talking about this. This sounds to me like some unsupportive claim, but there could be supporting data that I don't know of.

The Monitor Audio is a floor model, that the owner of a store sold me at retail price. He told me to take them home for 7 days and if by then I wanted to keep them, he will exchange them for brand new ones. I'm mentioning this because as I was leaving in the store, he mentioned that they haven't been properly break-in and they need more hours of listening to achieve this.

On youtube, some mentioned that the Elac need at least 4 days to break-in, I'm playing them in the background as I work for a few days to see if I notice anything.

Anyway, I wanted to have a clear winner but I still don't :( But to my surprise, if this trend continues, the Elac may dethrone the Monitor Audio Silver 50.

Tomorrow morning I'm picking up the SVS Ultra, and amazon is delayed with the Dali, so they are coming on Sunday, I personally don't think the Dali has a chance in this battle of Titans.

PXL_20211229_215922266.jpeg

Last edited:
-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I hope you are enjoying this and having some fun. @Pogre did like his SVS Ultras, and so may you. Let the Battle continue. ;)

Q

qba

Audioholic
I hope you are enjoying this and having some fun. @Pogre did like his SVS Ultras, and so may you. Let the Battle continue. ;)
Thank you Jim, but this is not as much fun as it may look from the outside, it would be fun if it was a clear winner every time, so I don't have to spend at much time doing this, I'm busy at work so I need to do it when I take breaks, I'm lucky this is a quiet end of the year because of Covid, so our family is just at home chilling :)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
but this is not as much fun as it may look from the outside, it would be fun if it was a clear winner every time, so I don't have to spend at much time doing this, I'm busy at work so I need to do it when I take breaks, I'm lucky this is a quiet end of the year because of Covid, so our family is just at home chilling :)
Sometimes you just have to clear your head, and then exhale ... take it slow and enjoy what sounds good ... but also a lot of times it comes down to small meaningful differences that are most important to you, and that tends to be how the winner is picked.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As to break in not very likely it's audible....it's more you breaking in.

Q

qba

Audioholic
The Monitor Audio Silver 50s are going back to the store! They were defeated by the Elac, I now understand the thin and high pitched sound of the Monitors and how for the sake of clarity it compromises part of the emotion and soulfulness of the music, I was listening to a Nina Simone song I have never heard before, called "I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to Be Free" and that was it for me! It sounded on the Elacs in a way that you could feel Nina's pain as she shared her story, the sound stage is so wide, her voice is in the middle but long, a snapping type of sound was going around me, the moment I kept pressing channel "A" for the Monitor Audios, Nina's voice sounded without the raw emotions she was conveying just a few seconds ago on the Elacs and it sounded altered in a higher pitch that takes away from those feelings.

Still waiting on the Ultras, not sure if the deal is going to go through anymore. This Sunday the Dalis are coming, but I think it will be a waste of time since to me they are probably the worst version than the Silver 50.

Q

qba

Audioholic
Why wouldn't the deal on the SVS Ultras complete?
Is a very good deal and we had previously agreed for me to take the speakers for a trial period at my house, he lives a bit far from me, so he was coming to Toronto today for some other business and was going to meet with me so I could make the purchase, but the store owner called me today looking for some reassurance that I will keep the speakers, I told him that I couldn't guarantee that until I listen to them in my room. He mentioned he has another buyer that wants to keep them for sure, I told him that I only needed two days with them, and then if I didn't want it he could sell it to the new buyer. I purchased the SBS-1000 under the same premise from him and I kept it, so he knows I'm not wasting his time. He didn't tell me that the deal was off but I think he may be changing his mind. Anyway, after this experience with the Monitor Audios, and what I have heard about the Ultras being a bit on the clinical or on the bright side of things, I'm not sure I was going to like the Ultras anymore. I think I found what I like when it comes to the type of sound I enjoy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ask @Pogre if he thinks the SVS Ultras are bright....pretty sure he called them neutral.

Q

qba

Audioholic
Ask @Pogre if he thinks the SVS Ultras are bright....pretty sure he called them neutral.
I already asked him last week via private message, I even sent him two of the source and he dismissed them, I trust Pogre because he used to have them and that is why I went ahead with setting up the purchase, but in the back of my head, I knew there was a possibility of no being warm and now I know that is something I'm looking for.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You can also adjust somewhat via equalization rather than trying to have a speaker be exactly what you're looking for....but a speaker you like to start certainly helps.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I'd still be keen to try the Ultras out as well. You'd hate to hear some later, and think that's the right fit. You'd kick yourself for not taking the time now to evaluate them. I'd be very pissed if an Audio Store welched on a deal. HIs social medial account would take a big hit...

There's more than one vendor in your area for SVS products isn't there?

Q

qba

Audioholic
I'd still be keen to try the Ultras out as well. You'd hate to hear some later, and think that's the right fit. You'd kick yourself for not taking the time now to evaluate them. I'd be very pissed if an Audio Store welched on a deal. HIs social medial account would take a big hit...

There's more than one vendor in your area for SVS products isn't there?
Yeah, they are more than one for sure, but the retail price up here in Canada is around 1,600, I don't want to pay that type of money for those speakers, I would pay that type of money for the Acoustic Energy AE500 or the Dynaudio Evoke 10, that I think will produce closer to the type of sound I think I like.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, they are more than one for sure, but the retail price up here in Canada is around 1,600, I don't want to pay that type of money for those speakers, I would pay that type of money for the Acoustic Energy AE500 or the Dynaudio Evoke 10, that I think will produce closer to the type of sound I think I like.
Could you expand on that a bit? Don't remember the AE or Dynaudio being discussed by you but might have missed it....as to the SVS price, pretty much same as it is here now in any case.

Q

qba

Audioholic
Could you expand on that a bit? Don't remember the AE or Dynaudio being discussed by you but might have missed it....as to the SVS price, pretty much same as it is here now in any case.
Yeah the AE and Dynaudio have never been discussed in this forum, but based on youtube review videos I have been watching on many speakers, these two seem to produce a very good warm, and soulful sound.

....as to the SVS price, pretty much same as it is here now in any case.
I always thought that the SVS Ultra were being sold in the U.S.A for $1000

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis