Replaced binding posts, now going to standby

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
I'm only 35, been enjoying and playing with this hobby for as long as I can remember...had some crazy nice stuff and other odd projects, learn more stuff everyday, this one tops the list, can't wait to see what the next 30 years brings lol

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm only 35, been enjoying and playing with this hobby for as long as I can remember...had some crazy nice stuff and other odd projects, learn more stuff everyday, this one tops the list, can't wait to see what the next 30 years brings lol
I may have missed it, but I didn't see the reason for changing the posts- if it has to do with Gold vs Nickel, don't bother.

Did the wires have a metal o-ring on the ends? Is it possible that you tightened the posts again once the woofers were in place, 'just to make sure they were tight enough'? If so, one may have rotated and is now touching the other.

Personally, I think I would have done this slightly differently, but I tend to over-do things, at times. I might have been tempted to drill the holes larger, put tape over the hole on one side, fill them with epoxy and drill them out when the epoxy has set. This would insulate the posts from the wood (not sure it's even conductive- never seen that before)- this is done on boats when holes need to be drilled below the waterline on hulls that have wood sandwiched between fiberglass, to protect the wood from the water.

highfigh

highfigh

Almost certainly the caps in the low pass filter need replacing.
Why? They were fine before changing the binding posts? The only caps I have seen that failed in crossovers were in series with the driver.

highfigh

highfigh

If painted wood becoming conductive because of humidity was happening, we would have seen it literally millions of times in the last 50 years since almost no cheap-mid priced speakers had a cup to hold the posts until they became easy to find and cheap to manufacture and the terminals weren't an RCA plug or spring clips on a plastic or phenolic strip. The cheapest way to install terminals is to drill a hole in the wood product and tighten it and that's what they did.

If it happened in this case, how?

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
I may have missed it, but I didn't see the reason for changing the posts- if it has to do with Gold vs Nickel, don't bother.

Did the wires have a metal o-ring on the ends? Is it possible that you tightened the posts again once the woofers were in place, 'just to make sure they were tight enough'? If so, one may have rotated and is now touching the other.

Personally, I think I would have done this slightly differently, but I tend to over-do things, at times. I might have been tempted to drill the holes larger, put tape over the hole on one side, fill them with epoxy and drill them out when the epoxy has set. This would insulate the posts from the wood (not sure it's even conductive- never seen that before)- this is done on boats when holes need to be drilled below the waterline on hulls that have wood sandwiched between fiberglass, to protect the wood from the water.
Changed to posts because the originals had plastic/nylon nuts that were getting difficult to turn. The red was starting to crack. I don't typically use banana plugs on speakers but I do use them on the amp side

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I'm going to send this post over to the engineers at Triad. I've been selling Triad for over 15 years, and I have never heard of anything like this.

In the meantime, if you could give me the serial number of the bad speaker it would help enormously.

highfigh

highfigh

I'm going to send this post over to the engineers at Triad. I've been selling Triad for over 15 years, and I have never heard of anything like this.

In the meantime, if you could give me the serial number of the bad speaker it would help enormously.
I can't imagine a way for the box material to absorb enough water to make it conductive without having been in water and evidence of that should have been visible in the photos.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief

These are older late 80s early 90s from what I've found, either way I simply love them

Attachments

highfigh

highfigh

Problem solved, neoprene washers.
Did you look at the posts from the inside before you removed them in order to install the washers?

You might want to consider using bushings that isolate the post, rather than the mating surface of the washers. That way, if the post tries to slide off-center, it can't move.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis