PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
Alright, I'm high-jacking my thread back. Sorry PoP.

I'm having a set up issue that I believe I have isolated to my Denon AVR X3300W.

If you've read the thread you know I was trying to pass all inputs through my AVR other than the xbox. The problem I am having is that when connected through the AVR I cannot have 4k and HDR enabled (for which the Ultra HD Deep Color setting on the LG has to be set to on) without getting white snow like pixel flashing and the screen going intermittently blank for a few seconds at a time. When I toggle the Ultra HD Deep Color off and then back on the issues go away but it automatically adjusts the resolution outputting from the source (e.g. fire tv box) to 1080p. If I readjust the source back to 4k the snow and intermittent black screens come back.

Now, when I connect the sources directly to the TV HDMI inputs, bypassing the AVR, everything works fine -- 4K HDR with no snow or intermittent blackouts. So that's why I think the problem is with the AVR. The problem is that I have more sources than inputs on the TV so I'd really like to solve the issues and pass all signals (other than the xbox) through the AVR. I think I have the Video Output settings correct on the Denon:

Video Mode: Auto
Video Conversion: On
i/p Scaler: HDMI
Resolution (HDMI): 4k
Progressive Mode: Auto
Aspect Ratio 16:9

Any thoughts?
Assuming your AVR can pass 4k, and Ultra HD Deep Color, I would then as silly as it sounds, check the specs of ylour hdmi cable. And for the record, I checked out the cx line, and those are mind blowing.

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
The x3300w can pass 4K, HDR10, Dolby Vision, 12-bit color. I don't know what the spec of the HDMI cable from the AVR to the TV is, but it says it's high speed on the connector. I suppose I can order another couple cables.

I found two responses on an Apple TV forum to a similar problem. One said that video conversion should actually be turned off, the other said to turn it on - haha. The first one also said to use an HDMI input on the AVR that is physically located close to your monitor out on the AVR. Something about the length of the circuit and signal clocking.

Do you or anyone else have any other ideas?

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
I would agree that the TV is mind blowing. I am not upset about replacing my plasma at all. The picture is unbelievable.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The x3300w can pass 4K, HDR10, Dolby Vision, 12-bit color. I don't know what the spec of the HDMI cable from the AVR to the TV is, but it says it's high speed on the connector. I suppose I can order another couple cables.

I found two responses on an Apple TV forum to a similar problem. One said that video conversion should actually be turned off, the other said to turn it on - haha. The first one also said to use an HDMI input on the AVR that is physically located close to your monitor out on the AVR. Something about the length of the circuit and signal clocking.

Do you or anyone else have any other ideas?
High speed is not appropriate for full 4K/18Gb/s video.

You want a Premium or Ultra rated HDMI cable. Ultra should support 48Gb/s and up to 8K resolution. That's actually overkill.
Premium supports the full 18Gb/s signal which your devices support.

Nice informational read here if you care:

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
Thanks. That article suggest that I need an ultra high speed cable to push 4k 120fps (for the xbox) and premium for the fire tv and monitor out line to the TV. The rest of the sources are 1080p so I should have cables to to use there.

Any recommendations on actual cables to try?

P

ParisB

Audioholic
Alright, I'm high-jacking my thread back. Sorry PoP.

I'm having a set up issue that I believe I have isolated to my Denon AVR X3300W.

If you've read the thread you know I was trying to pass all inputs through my AVR other than the xbox. The problem I am having is that when connected through the AVR I cannot have 4k and HDR enabled (for which the Ultra HD Deep Color setting on the LG has to be set to on) without getting white snow like pixel flashing and the screen going intermittently blank for a few seconds at a time. When I toggle the Ultra HD Deep Color off and then back on the issues go away but it automatically adjusts the resolution outputting from the source (e.g. fire tv box) to 1080p. If I readjust the source back to 4k the snow and intermittent black screens come back.

Now, when I connect the sources directly to the TV HDMI inputs, bypassing the AVR, everything works fine -- 4K HDR with no snow or intermittent blackouts. So that's why I think the problem is with the AVR. The problem is that I have more sources than inputs on the TV so I'd really like to solve the issues and pass all signals (other than the xbox) through the AVR. I think I have the Video Output settings correct on the Denon:

Video Mode: Auto
Video Conversion: On
i/p Scaler: HDMI
Resolution (HDMI): 4k
Progressive Mode: Auto
Aspect Ratio 16:9

Any thoughts?
I have Video Conversion to Off and no issues. Off means true passthrough and no issues with bandwidth.

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
I have Video Conversion to Off and no issues. Off means true passthrough and no issues with bandwidth.
I originally set it to on for scaling my non-4k sources. I'm ordering some new cables and failing that will try those settings.

P

ParisB

Audioholic
I originally set it to on for scaling my non-4k sources. I'm ordering some new cables and failing that will try those settings.
What is the device you use for those?

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
What is the device you use for those?
Various sources - an Oppo BD player, a Nintendo Switch, a Tivo, etc. Not a huge issue on any of them as none of them get used as much, but ideally I'd run the Fire TV through the AVR as well.

BTW. I just noticed your HDMI Video Output setting says "Auto (Dual)". Is that because you are using both the monitor out and a zone 2?

P

ParisB

Audioholic
Various sources - an Oppo BD player, a Nintendo Switch, a Tivo, etc. Not a huge issue on any of them as none of them get used as much, but ideally I'd run the Fire TV through the AVR as well.

BTW. I just noticed your HDMI Video Output setting says "Auto (Dual)". Is that because you are using both the monitor out and a zone 2?
Ok, I was just going to suggest you try using the TV as the upscaler (or source device), and bypass the AVR. Any reason you want to use AVR?

I'm not using zone 2, just the main monitor out. It's just the way it lists it, either off or auto. I guess if you have 2 zones, you need to keep it on auto.

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
Ok, I was just going to suggest you try using the TV as the upscaler (or source device), and bypass the AVR. Any reason you want to use AVR?

I'm not using zone 2, just the main monitor out. It's just the way it lists it, either off or auto. I guess if you have 2 zones, you need to keep it on auto.
Does the TV have an upscaling function? If so I will try that out.

Also, I was commenting more on the "(Dual)". Mine just says "Auto" not "Auto (Dual)".

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
is that your avr ?

Don’t think my Onkyo 818 is 4k passthrew such a old model .

If my plasma is 1080p why does cable
Look like trash on it ? Yet Blu-ray is amazing
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
C

cpd

Full Audioholic
So I'm still at a loss. I ordered some monoprice certified premium high speed cables, reconnected the fire tv through the receiver and the screen still intermittently went blank. I couldn't tell if the white snow was there because the picture wouldn't stay on long enough. I also changed the settings to turn video conversion off in the AVR. That didn't fix the issue.

So I set it all up directly through the TV again. I don't get it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
is that your avr ?

Don’t think my Onkyo 818 is 4k passthrew such a old model .

If my plasma is 1080p why does cable
Look like trash on it ? Yet Blu-ray is amazing
Because cable isn't 1080p?

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
I am zero percent videophile and know diddly squat about tvs (except whether a screen is big or small!). However, i have a 65inch Hisense ULED? What exactly is this ULED and how does it stack up against OLED for videophiles out there? In other words, if OLED is the king, is ULED the peasant?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I am zero percent videophile and know diddly squat about tvs (except whether a screen is big or small!). However, i have a 65inch Hisense ULED? What exactly is this ULED and how does it stack up against OLED for videophiles out there? In other words, if OLED is the king, is ULED the peasant?
No idea what uled means looks like a decent tv tho ... maybe the lowest end tvs are peasants not this one ...
if it was on sale would be good deal.

Really any difference between this brand and others ?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
It's an LCD with LED backlighting. It's just what Hisense calls their "version".

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
It's an LCD with LED backlighting. It's just what Hisense calls their "version".
This is the most information i could find on a search

But, ULED, OLED, QLED, LED whatever, i can't tell a difference. The videophile just ain't inside of me man. When non-audiophiles go "does it play loud" when you show them hifi,,,,i bet that's what i sound like to a videophile..."is that tv big or small" :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

But, ULED, OLED, QLED, LED whatever, i can't tell a difference. The videophile just ain't inside of me man. When non-audiophiles go "does it play loud" when you show them hifi,,,,i bet that's what i sound like to a videophile..."is that tv big or small" :D
Well, if the picture looks like garbage you'd notice that. Trust me. You ever see one of the old school standard def big screen TVs? Holy crap the picture was terrible on those.

Other than that, you're good. OLED is the only one in your list that is actually a drastically different technology than the rest. The rest are just LCDs with LED backlighting (for the most part). I'll tell you like I told folks when I sold TVs. If you like it, then you're good. No need to fret on what tech you have and whether it's good. You think it's good? Great. Hope it lasts you a good, long time.

You want to learn more than you ever wanted to about TVs? Here you go.

https://www.rtings.com/tv

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord

Video is actually very easy to see a difference on from one display to another for most people. While you may not recognize differences in resolution (most people can't), you can notice things like blooming, or poor black levels. If you are watching TV after dark, and the screen goes to 'black', does your room get dark or is it completely lit up by your TV? If it is completely lit up, then the black levels on your TV are very, VERY bad. But, if it goes mostly dark, they may be satisfactory.

With LG's OLED, when the screen goes black, you won't see your hand in front of your face. Your room will be completely dark. You would swear the TV is powered off.
That's how good black levels on OLED TV are. Better, is that they hold those black levels regardless of the scene on the TV.

So, the next thing you would notice is that even if your screen does a good job of making the room appear dark when the whole screen is black, when there are a few white objects on screen, does the entire screen go from black, to grey? This is the impact of LED backlighting on your LCD television.

I have a cheap Hisense TV, and there is no question that it has lousy black levels. It was cheap. But, the color saturation is solid and the image quality is decent enough for day to day viewing. But, it doesn't hold a candle to what OLED delivers.

I'm seriously considering a 83" Sony OLED next year. We are finally getting the size up with OLED and hopefully the price will be fathomable. Maybe not.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis