REL HT 1508 Predator

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
Any thoughts on this unit? Looking at 2 REL HT 1508 Predator or 2 SVS PB3000. Torn between ported or sealed though. 5.1 system mostly used for t.v. and 4k movies.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What size room/space are the subs open to? Rel is overpriced IMO. For a sealed 15" I think the Hsu ULS15mk2 would be a better choice. With movies/tv you might be better served by a ported design for low bass, and I'd again think of Hsu, probably the VTF-15H or VTF-3 Mk5 (and they both have the ability to run in various modes, including a near-sealed mode).

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Agree, Hsu is definitely the value leader for performance and quality. Better mid-bass performance than SVS, still delivers on low end extension... but as has been said before, the quest for subs in the ID marketplace is almost more about the features you need to work in your system. Quality is almost equal among them as these companies can’t afford to drop lemons! ;)
Room size is all important, especially with sealed boxes. I think somewhere around 3000’3 is where you would likely experience diminishing returns on cabin gain... and then you likely want to deploy a squad of sealed boxes to really benefit. 4 ULS15s, for example, would be a truly formidable force! :)

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
I don't have exact room size in sq ft unfortunately. The whole house is 1385sq ft so the living room isn't huge by far. Has tall vaulted ceilings approx. 10ft tall. Big opening on side and rear. Would like to place one sub in front on each side of tower speakers. One of my friends has 15" hsu ported and it has MAJOR bass! My electronics connection deals in Rel and is recommending Rel instead of HSU or SVS due to "quality" reasons. He admits that he is a "Bass Snob" so he feels the construction and responsiveness of the Rel blows the rest out of the water. I'm no audiophile so I prob won't even notice what he hears.

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
Agree, Hsu is definitely the value leader for performance and quality. Better mid-bass performance than SVS, still delivers on low end extension... but as has been said before, the quest for subs in the ID marketplace is almost more about the features you need to work in your system. Quality is almost equal among them as these companies can’t afford to drop lemons! ;)
Room size is all important, especially with sealed boxes. I think somewhere around 3000’3 is where you would likely experience diminishing returns on cabin gain... and then you likely want to deploy a squad of sealed boxes to really benefit. 4 ULS15s, for example, would be a truly formidable force! :)
I just don't have room for 4 subs though o_O

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
What I don't get is I thought sub boxes were specifically built for either ported or sealed. How can HSU or SVS make a large ported box and just plug the holes to make it sealed and still have the proper air space for sealed? Wouldn't the ported box, plugged, be too large for the sealed sub then??

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What I don't get is I thought sub boxes were specifically built for either ported or sealed. How can HSU or SVS make a large ported box and just plug the holes to make it sealed and still have the proper air space for sealed? Wouldn't the ported box, plugged, be too large for the sealed sub then??
DSP in the amp to change response curve. I consider myself a bass snob and wouldn't consider a Rel at all. You can DIY better than a Rel.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
You could build yourself an 18" sealed Ultimax with amp and mini-dsp for less than that Rel and have insane bass

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
DSP in the amp to change response curve. I consider myself a bass snob and wouldn't consider a Rel at all. You can DIY better than a Rel.
I did read about the programming so it does sound like it's possible. Rel seems so overpriced for what you get. Even at my friends cost, the sub itself doesn't seem like it would perform like these others. Can't speak from experience though

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I think you can do better than Rel, too. Learn to read the test specs for output and distortion levels... an educated consumer, after all... ;)
And of course your connection is going to recommend what he sells... it still helps him out, moving inventory that he might have on hand. Forgive, but saying that Hsu and SVS are not quality is like saying a Pinto is better than a Camaro.
You got a great deal on your other gear. Kudos. Don't chump out now. :)

A tape measure and a little Math is all you need to learn the open area volume of your room. LxWxH. To adjust for vaulted ceilings, make it simple:
Measure your LxW. How high is the lowest part of the ceiling? How high is the Highest?
Simple example:
12x15x8 to lowest, and 12x15x12 to the highest. figure volume for the low part, then look at the difference in height, 4', and figure the volume for that and multply by half, adding that to the volume of the room below.
1440'3 + (720'3 x .5) = 1440 + 360 = 1800'3
:)

Once you know the rough volume, making certain you have enough woofage becomes easy! We love to help people get the best gear they can afford! In this case... maybe not that Rel.

Last edited:
Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
I li
I think you can do better than Rel, too. Learn to read the test specs for output and distortion levels... an educated consumer, after all... ;)
And of course your connection is going to recommend what he sells... it still helps him out, moving inventory that he might have on hand. Forgive, but saying that Hsu and SVS are not quality is like saying a Pinto is better than a Camaro.
You got a great deal on your other gear. Kudos. Don't chump out now. :)

A tape measure and a little Math is all you need to learn the open area volume of your room. LxWxH. To adjust for vaulted ceilings, make it simple:
Measure your LxW. How high is the lowest part of the ceiling? How high is the Highest?
Simple example:
12x15x8 to lowest, and 12x15x12 to the highest. figure volume for the low part, then look at the difference in height, 4', and figure the volume for that and multply by half, adding that to the volume of the room below.
1440'3 + (720'3 x .5) = 1440 + 360 = 1800'3
:)

Once you know the rough volume, making certain you have enough woofage becomes easy! We love to help people get the best gear they can afford! In this case... maybe not that Rel.
I like the way you talk my friend! I'll work on the sq. ft when I get home today and get some measurements.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Of course any of the subs mentioned should be far better than the RSW-10 you have now.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't have exact room size in sq ft unfortunately. The whole house is 1385sq ft so the living room isn't huge by far. Has tall vaulted ceilings approx. 10ft tall. Big opening on side and rear. Would like to place one sub in front on each side of tower speakers. One of my friends has 15" hsu ported and it has MAJOR bass! My electronics connection deals in Rel and is recommending Rel instead of HSU or SVS due to "quality" reasons. He admits that he is a "Bass Snob" so he feels the construction and responsiveness of the Rel blows the rest out of the water. I'm no audiophile so I prob won't even notice what he hears.
Subs don't always work best in the positions you'd like them in for aesthetics :) What Hsu does your friend have? You're an audiophile if you're here afaik, it's not a skill, just an enthusiasm for hi-fi reproduction. The f6 of the Rel 1508 is 21 hz which isn't all that impressive for a $1800 sub (what kind of discount can you get, tho?). How much does the aesthetic of the sub count in your room?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I li

I like the way you talk my friend! I'll work on the sq. ft when I get home today and get some measurements.
Aww, shucks. *blushes

I just looked at the REL website... -6dB at 21Hz is not going to cut it for $1800 retail. ;)

What's your Music to HT usage like? Are you listening to Rock, Orchestral, Electronica... or do you love a good 32' stop on a pipe organ? It's ok if you don't know what that means... just want to be clear about your needs, though. :cool:

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
Subs don't always work best in the positions you'd like them in for aesthetics :) What Hsu does your friend have? You're an audiophile if you're here afaik, it's not a skill, just an enthusiasm for hi-fi reproduction. The f6 of the Rel 1508 is 21 hz which isn't all that impressive for a $1800 sub (what kind of discount can you get, tho?). How much does the aesthetic of the sub count in your room?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Great minds, Lovin'. :)

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
He has the VTF-3 MK5 HP, I believe. Massive bass but not sure if it's "precise" bass. Honestly, not sure if I could even tell the difference between precise and not. Discounted price on the Rel is $1150 otd. I don't have many options on location so it'll have to be one on each side or caddy corner from each other

Zedturbo

Zedturbo

Junior Audioholic
Aww, shucks. *blushes

I just looked at the REL website... -6dB at 21Hz is not going to cut it for $1800 retail. ;)

What's your Music to HT usage like? Are you listening to Rock, Orchestral, Electronica... or do you love a good 32' stop on a pipe organ? It's ok if you don't know what that means... just want to be clear about your needs, though. :cool:
80% ht/tv 20% music...if that. Rock, some newer style country, 90's rap (I'm old-school)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis