Reform or Eliminate the Electoral College

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I think Swerd is right in this. Over the years more and more of the population has gained voting rights, first for men and later for women. In USA is, of course, race ever present in politics and voting rights.

About 25% of the Norwegian and Swedish population emigrated to USA. My mother, growing up in a poor rural valley, have relatives that emigrated. Similar on my fathers side. So it's not that surprising that we learn quite a bit about USA, at least when I grew up. Whether or not I learned about the 3/5 vote in school or later, I'm not sure as it was a long time ago.
There is no restriction that prevents anyone voting, based on race. Some people perceive actions that cause this, but then, a lot of people are overly-sensitive about a lot of things. OTOH, some people would do anything to go back to the way it was, when minorities had no rights, at all. I'm positive that a lot of non-White people are taught that White people hate Black/Brown/etc people- I have actually seen Blacks act like they were surprised when a White person does something decent and it makes me angry that this happens because it prevents people from trusting others when the intentions are good. I was in line at a building supply store yesterday and when I walked in so I could return something, I saw two people ahead of me; one stepped aside. When the person ahead of him left, he looked at me and I waved him toward the line. He thanked me more than once before he was done and again after. When I got to the returns counter, the woman working there told me that what I had done was very nice but he was there before me- there was no reason to thank me because there's no reason for me to jump ahead (unless I wanted to be a lord helmet).

I have also had people ask me what I needed at various places when someone else was clearly there before me (usually when someone who's not Black was asking) and I have been passed up by Black people working at places like that, so they could help a Black person (a few times, I was completely ignored). I don't like when it happens, but by comparison to what they have endured, that was really not a big deal and I didn't see a reason to complain.

I know someone is gonna crap all over me for this, but......

Gerrymandering is considered a way for Republicans to 'disenfranchise' minority voters but, while I don't associate with racists, I don't know Republicans who would be OK with doing it for that reason. In Milwaukee, Republicans don't receive many votes- why would they want to run in the city for any office when there's no chance that they would win? However, I have never spoken with anyone who tried to be elected or anyone involved in a campaign, so I can't say with any certainty that it isn't their reason for doing it. If it is their reason, they should go and rot somewhere.

If I were to believe everything I hear and see on the media, I would never go into the city, for anything. If I did, I would need an armored car and body armor, according to them but it's just not true- I go into some areas that are called 'bad' or 'dangerous'. I haven't had any problems with physical altercations, but after living in Milwaukee for 16 years (never in a particularly good part of the city), I became very tired of losing cars, tools, car stereos and even had someone try to break into the house where I lived. OTOH, I grew up in a suburb that borders Milwaukee and between 1967 and early 1981, four bicycles were stolen from me- all within a mile of the Police station (the first time was directly across the street). That said, I think the problems in Milwaukee fall squarely on the city's government and elected leaders and since I have a really good memory, I know it was better before 1960. This city has had 5 Mayors since 1948 and it's time for some major changes, especially considering the fact that Milwaukee is called 'the most segregated city in America'.

T

trochetier

Audioholic
Wrong again Richard, I'm happier than a pig in poop that Joe got elected over the fat orange haired one. As for my second amendment rights, yes, it's the libtard left that wants to take that away, show me what I've lost ! ?
No one wants to take your gun away. Guns don't kill - stupid idiots, criminals, and mentally unstable with guns do. Just have screen so that they don't get to own one.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
No one wants to take your gun away.
WOW and I thought I was the only with an extra Manhattan before dinner tonight !!

You obviously don't follow American politics very much ..............

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
WOW and I thought I was the only with an extra Manhattan before dinner tonight !!

You obviously have abnormal fears about your piece.

T

trochetier

Audioholic

Have you been to the NRA HQ? Right in the reception area behind the receptionist they have the full Second Amendment on the wall. Yet they preach the bull that some are going to take your gun/s away.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Have you been to the NRA HQ? Right in the reception area behind the receptionist they have the full Second Amendment on the wall. Yet they preach the bull that some are going to take your gun/s away.
So if I understand you correctly you feel none of our fine politicians in this country given the opportunity would not like to re-write or have the Supreme Court reinterpret the 2nd amendment ?

highfigh

highfigh

And they sell serving platter-sized belt buckles with 'The Right To Bear Arms' and nothing else from the Amendment's text. In general, I doubt many NRA members can quote the whole text and I know some who seem to be unaware of the Constitution. One is the brother, nephew and cousin of lawyers- either they haven't discussed it or he didn't pay attention. OTOH, when he heard that the Police went to someone's place and talked their way in after finding pot in the guy's car when they pulled him over, he said "Good! They should be able to do this". I said it's not a legal search if they didn't get a warrant and he blurted out "Says who?". I said that the 4th & 6th Amendments cover this and he said that's a bunch of crap. I told him that he'd make a good Nazi- he didn't say much during the rest of lunch and his brother (a lawyer) didn't dispute my comment on the Amendments.

I think LaPierre need to go. I'm not a member, but he has driven the NRA over a cliff and it's time to throw out the anchor. I think it's necessary to have some way to prevent the government just taking every weapon in circulation, but a more reasonable person needs to be at the head of the table. I'm not a gun nut, but I think it would be very bad if they make guns illegal.

If the 2nd Amendment wasn't important, it would be farther down the list.

highfigh

highfigh

Sit tight on that thought- they filed Chapter 11 yesterday and want to move to Texas.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Sit tight on that thought- they filed Chapter 11 yesterday and want to move to Texas.
Super...maybe we'll get lucky and they'll go back to proposing gun legislation that makes sense and focus on teaching people proper gun responsibility.

Or the obvious thing will happen and they'll learn nothing and somehow get worse.

highfigh

highfigh

Super...maybe we'll get lucky and they'll go back to proposing gun legislation that makes sense and focus on teaching people proper gun responsibility.

Or the obvious thing will happen and they'll learn nothing and somehow get worse.
They'll need to explain themselves to the ones who get all jiggly when they think about shootin' and hollerin', though.

And here's the reason LaPierre wants to stay at the helm and he's not very different from a televangelist-

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
They'll need to explain themselves to the ones who get all jiggly when they think about shootin' and hollerin', though.

And here's the reason LaPierre wants to stay at the helm and he's not very different from a televangelist-

If you have seen what used to be NRA TV, then you know exactly how close he is to a televangelist. Those shows were all sorts of crazy.

highfigh

highfigh

If you have seen what used to be NRA TV, then you know exactly how close he is to a televangelist. Those shows were all sorts of crazy.

As I wrote, I know people who are too gung ho on guns. I avoid them. One, a cousin of the guy who wears an NRA belt buckle (and whose father was and brother is a lawyer), used to invite friends to their family's land & cabin, for hunting trips. He stopped, because, in his words, "They might kill a deer that should be mine". He also has a helluva temper and when he worked for Gander Mountain, he began to hoard guns and ammunition. I'm actually surprised he hasn't been in the news because I'm certain that he wasn't a happy camper when Obama was in office and I doubt he's happy now.

I don't want to be anywhere in the vicinity when these idiots are armed. I haven't been to a range since the last incidents- one guy may have shot the ceiling and another ran down with a long gun to fire some rounds, but the range isn't certified for those. He could easily have killed someone. Another guy couldn't hit a large paper target from just over 15' and when he finally did, he only nicked the bottom edge. All three occurred in a one hour period and I don't plan to go to that place again.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
True, it took the equal rights amendment for womens rights how many years to pass? The parties could each go thru several transformations in that time frame. Sometime we're gonna need more than just amendments to the Constitution, but I think we'll be frozen on such a thing without a revolution.
The era never formally passed...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LOL got me. Just looking at the unratified amendments....child labor one is another. And a congressional apportionment amendment. Have some reading to do....

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
LOL got me. Just looking at the unratified amendments....child labor one is another. And a congressional apportionment amendment. Have some reading to do....
Several states wrote its equivalent into law...

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
If the 2nd Amendment wasn't important, it would be farther down the list.
I dunno, there are several amendments further down the list that look more important to me, than the right to pack heat.

While I'm sure there are some politicians in the US who would like to ban firearms in that country, the chances of that happening in our lifetimes - if ever - are somewhere near zero. Not gonna happen, despite the fear-mongering by the NRA and gun nuts.

highfigh

highfigh

I dunno, there are several amendments further down the list that look more important to me, than the right to pack heat.

While I'm sure there are some politicians in the US who would like to ban firearms in that country, the chances of that happening in our lifetimes - if ever - are somewhere near zero. Not gonna happen, despite the fear-mongering by the NRA and gun nuts.
Which are more important? As long as the right exists, it shouldn't be infringed and the ones that came later are probably at less risk because they aren't costing so many people their lives.

But the 2nd isn't about being an offender. OTOH, it's not about being a hobbyist/obsessive jag, cultist or conspiracy theorist/'I wanna play Army', either. That said, if they abolish the 2nd, we're done- law-abiding people will have no recourse unless they know how to make weapons that work extremely well and don't immediately make them into criminals. There are enough ways to be lethal with household products that self-defense is possible, it's just more difficult at long-range without special equipment.

The more important problem, IMO, is the lack of self-control, disregard for existing laws, absolute lack of concern for the rights of others to live or maintain possession of their personal property and the attitude that they deserve to take from others or that they have a right to rob/commit acts of violence on people. Whether these thefts are fraud, strong-arm, armed, white collar, whatever- I don't care. Everyone justifies their behavior in order to quiet whatever is left of their conscience and personally, I'm sick of it.

highfigh

highfigh

From Wiki-
"....the ERA seemed destined for ratification until Phyllis Schlafly mobilized conservative women in opposition. These women argued that the ERA would disadvantage housewives, cause women to be drafted into the military and to lose protections such as alimony, and eliminate the tendency for mothers to obtain custody over their children in divorce cases."

As if mothers are ALWAYS the best for the kids......

Seems like "I want to be treated equal, unless I might be required to do things I don't want or lose something I already have".

I know women who have lost their kids and had to pay support to their ex-husbands.....women enlist, so the draft, which we haven't had since Vietnam, is a moot point unless the SHTF and even then, I'm not sure an army will be the best way to fight- it should be done by remote control to avoid the radiation, if Iran and NK get their way.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I would be completely blown away if anytime in the next 30 years the 2nd amendment was abolished/rescinded. Everytime somebody cries, "they're coming for your guns," it's just another right-wing-nut dog whistle. Neither Obama, nor Hilary wanted to. I don't think Biden does, either.
As a long time quasi-pro-gun supporter, the more important aspect of all of this is that no civilian needs to own assault rifles, or any weapon that can be converted to full auto through clever machining, bootleg parts or bump stocks. Nobody needs a handgun clip that holds more than 9-10 rounds, or any other high-capacity magazine for the assault rifles we don't fcucking need in the first place.
Don't get me wrong, I loved growing up shooting a Colt AR-15. I even remember a gun show where a guy showed me the components that would convert it to 3-round burst. I was 12 or so. :rolleyes:
Even today, I would enjoy gun ownership on the responsible and reasonable level. A good rifle and a good pistol. No AKs or ARs necessary.
That said, the modern NRA is complete BS, and Wayne needs to go. The purpose used to be an organization that supported responsible ownership and training, not radicalized politics and misinformation.
Let's enact the common sense gun laws most intelligent adults recognize need to be in place, including more thorough background checks and unified database for crosschecking criminal past/mental health/other disqualifying criteria.
Once we get beyond a radicalized, overly loud minority thinking they have the right to blow sh!t up, we'll be in a much better place.

On the other hand, what will change the tide completely is a few more school shootings or a failed armed insurrection by private non-well-regulated militia types that think/insist their way is the only way.

highfigh

highfigh

I would be completely blown away if anytime in the next 30 years the 2nd amendment was abolished/rescinded. Everytime somebody cries, "they're coming for your guns," it's just another right-wing-nut dog whistle. Neither Obama, nor Hilary wanted to. I don't think Biden does, either.
As a long time quasi-pro-gun supporter, the more important aspect of all of this is that no civilian needs to own assault rifles, or any weapon that can be converted to full auto through clever machining, bootleg parts or bump stocks. Nobody needs a handgun clip that holds more than 9-10 rounds, or any other high-capacity magazine for the assault rifles we don't fcucking need in the first place.
Don't get me wrong, I loved growing up shooting a Colt AR-15. I even remember a gun show where a guy showed me the components that would convert it to 3-round burst. I was 12 or so. :rolleyes:
Even today, I would enjoy gun ownership on the responsible and reasonable level. A good rifle and a good pistol. No AKs or ARs necessary.
That said, the modern NRA is complete BS, and Wayne needs to go. The purpose used to be an organization that supported responsible ownership and training, not radicalized politics and misinformation.
Let's enact the common sense gun laws most intelligent adults recognize need to be in place, including more thorough background checks and unified database for crosschecking criminal past/mental health/other disqualifying criteria.
Once we get beyond a radicalized, overly loud minority thinking they have the right to blow sh!t up, we'll be in a much better place.

On the other hand, what will change the tide completely is a few more school shootings or a failed armed insurrection by private non-well-regulated militia types that think/insist their way is the only way.
OK, let's say you live in a city that has a problem with home invasion. How many rounds is enough when a few idiots who are on crack, coke, meth or whatever bust in and grabs family members? Since most gun owners aren't criminals, why can't we have 'enough to save ourselves'? As soon as someone needs to fight off more than one, 5 or 6 rounds aren't enough and when drugs are involved, shooting someone is only going to poke holes and make them mad unless their Off button has been hit.

BTW- enough guns were stolen between 2012 and 2017 to arm, well, an army- over 1.8 million guns. Those guns are often shipped to other parts of the country, to prevent easy identification if used in crimes and they are definitely used for crimes. By criminals. Who don't give a crap about any gun laws, or the rights of people to be left alone.

What we need is for people to stop being so effing violent and indifferent to the lives of others.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis