Record cleaning question

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Is the same quality as the Watts Dust Bug?

That looks like the front half of the dust bug to me.

@TLS Guy
is the best resource on this. I believe in the past he talked about Cecil Watts doing a lot of research to find the best angle of the bristles, etc. So, my gut says, "Dust Bug or Nothing"

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
@Swerd, when you mentioned dishwashing detergent, I assume you mean the kind used in a dishwasher and not the stuff you use in the sink? Just want to be clear on that.
Do not use the stuff meant for a dishwasher. Use the concentrated liquid that people use to wash things by hand, in the sink.
Just ordered one of these suckers from Amazon. I have a lot of work ahead of me.
View attachment 40084
What is that? Got an Amazon link?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Do not use the stuff meant for a dishwasher. Use the concentrated liquid that people use to wash things by hand, in the sink.
I think that is a record label protector for washing records......

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I'm glad you clarified that. I was thinking "Man, I'll have to wear rubber gloves to use dishwasher detergent!"

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
C$50......plus C$50 shipping. :rolleyes:
That's like 12 bucks American, right?

Look for one that isn't a rip off but I'll tell you right now that once you get the gravel and concrete dust off your records, that Dust Bug is all it takes. No potions or salves or glues ... sonic ray guns! :D

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I'm glad you clarified that. I was thinking "Man, I'll have to wear rubber gloves to use dishwasher detergent!"
Remember to use no more than 2 or 3 drops in a large volume of water, such as a gallon (~4 liters). If the water is sudsy, you used way too much detergent. After washing, rinse with lots of water to remove all the detergent. If you're really compulsive about it, use deionized (DI) or distilled water for a final rinse. If you want to use alcohol (ethanol or isopropanol) use it mixed with the DI water as a final rinse. It helps to dry the record faster and prevents water from beading up as it dries.

I saw a post where someone said to mix liquid detergent with an alcohol/water mix. There's no benefit in doing that. It wastes the alcohol that you must buy. I'm not at all sure if the detergent makes micelles in the alcohol/water mix the same as it would in plain water. It's those detergent micelles in water that dissolves the finger print grease.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Remember to use no more than 2 or 3 drops in a large volume of water, such as a gallon (~4 liters). If the water is sudsy, you used way too much detergent. After washing, rinse with lots of water to remove all the detergent. If you're really compulsive about it, use deionized (DI) or distilled water for a final rinse. If you want to use alcohol (ethanol or isopropanol) use it mixed with the DI water as a final rinse. It helps to dry the record faster and prevents water from beading up as it dries.

I saw a post where someone said to mix liquid detergent with an alcohol/water mix. There's no benefit in doing that. It wastes the alcohol that you must buy. I'm not at all sure if the detergent makes micelles in the alcohol/water mix the same as it would in plain water. It's those detergent micelles in water that dissolves the finger print grease.
Thanks! And 75%/25% de-ionized water/alcohol mixture, correct? I wonder if the washing process would dissipate any static charge...

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord

Gotta go full Mandalorian here ... this is the way.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks! And 75%/25% de-ionized water/alcohol mixture, correct?
Yes. Use that for a final rinse.
I wonder if the washing process would dissipate any static charge...
I don't really know. It might help by dissipating some static charge. But it might easily come back after playing a record, especially in the dry winter.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Yes. Use that for a final rinse.
I don't really know. It might help by dissipating some static charge. But it might easily come back after playing a record, especially in the dry winter.
Although the air is certainly drier here in the winter, with our maritime climate, it doesn't get nearly as bad as say, the mid-west. We'll see.

Thanks!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis