Record cleaning question

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I am enjoying using my new Vinyl Vac. It has expanded my vinyl hobby. This is a deep cleaner if you are not familiar with it. I have a question for those that are also serious about record cleaning. Do you think it is necessary to clean a brand new record if it looks dust-free? I mean, are there unseen particulates on a new record that would be better off cleaned first?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I am enjoying using my new Vinyl Vac. It has expanded my vinyl hobby. This is a deep cleaner if you are not familiar with it. I have a question for those that are also serious about record cleaning. Do you think it is necessary to clean a brand new record if it looks dust-free? I mean, are there unseen particulates on a new record that would be better off cleaned first?
Well either the cleaning machine works or it doesn't...and vinyl doesn't always come super clean....

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I don't know what you said lovin. ha. Does anyone know the answer?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I would think a record would be as clean as it will ever be when new. This sounds like one of those unnecessary things some audiophiles fuss over that has little or no impact. I don't know how the cleaner works, but if it involves anything touching, brushing or wiping the record grooves I'd think that'd be more wear on the vinyl.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Do you think it is necessary to clean a brand new record if it looks dust-free? I mean, are there unseen particulates on a new record that would be better off cleaned first?
The visible dust on a record isn't the problem. It's the fingerprints on the surface. They're invisible, sticky, and collect dust. Fingerprints mixed with dust in the groves of a record can be an abrasive paste, waiting for the pressure of a stylus as it passes through. Detergent solutions in water are the best way to remove fingerprints.

After records are cleaned of fingerprints and dust, the next best thing to do is hold the record only by it's edges. Never ever touch the surface with your hands.

Last edited:
John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
New records don’t necessarily need cleaning via your machine, but, depending on where they were pressed and what kind of sleeve they are in (mylar or paper, example) may have “dust” and should at least be cleaned with a record brush before playing. That being said, I know some collectors that insist on deep cleaning for all of their new vinyl...

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
The visible dust on a record isn't the problem. It's the fingerprints on the surface. They're invisible, sticky, and collect dust. Fingerprints mixed with dust in the groves of a record can be an abrasive paste, waiting for the pressure of a stylus as it passes through. Detergent solutions in water are the best way to remove fingerprints.

After records are cleaned of fingerprints and dust, the next best thing to do is hold the record only by it's edges. Never ever touch the surface with your hands.
Thx Swerd. Maybe this wasn't exclusively info for me, but if I was touching the grooves of a record, I don't believe I would care about keeping them clean. I am 60 y.o. and have been playing my own records since I was about 12.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I mostly buy used and just put water and a soft drying cloth to dry the disc. I use a duster if I see dust on the LP itself. I bought this and works great:

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I haven't used a LP duster in a while but an important technique I learned is to wipe from the center out, against the grain you might say. Don't wipe in the same circular fashion as the record. Sounds counter-productive but it's the correct way to do it.

Going with the grooves actually embeds the oils & dust even more into the grooves and does further damage to the record.

And hold the record with your palms of your hands and under no condition put your thumb or fingers on the LP or 45 itself at any time.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
@Ponzio – I agree, but palms and fingers both can produce grease and oils that contaminate record groves. No part of your hands should touch the groves of a record. Fingers or palms on the edge of the record, or on the paper label are ok.

@Squishman – I'm glad you are old enough to know how to handle records, from experience. I've seen too many younger people, who never learned this.

In comparison, CDs don't suffer from careless handling.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
@Ponzio – I agree, but palms and fingers both can produce grease and oils that contaminate record groves. No part of your hands should touch the groves of a record. Fingers or palms on the edge of the record, or on the paper label are ok.

@Squishman – I'm glad you are old enough to know how to handle records, from experience. I've seen too many younger people, who never learned this.

In comparison, CDs don't suffer from careless handling.
I should have said, holding the record with the palms at 90° with your fingers extended

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know what you said lovin. ha. Does anyone know the answer?
It means either you trust the washing machine to be fine to use in the first place or not. Plus, some records I've purchased did come with crap on them and a cleaning would be in order for playing them (or simply returning them).

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Are many of you guys aware of the tiny record static eliminators that were selling in the 1960's?

I still have one Audiotex Atomic Stat-Elim but I haven't used it for over forty years. I intend to take to a municipal recycling place:

Nuclear-Products-Company-Static-Master-Audiotex-Atomic.jpg

It's a tiny gadget that clips to the turntable headshell. It's based on the theory that dust is attracted to the record surface by a static electrical charge, caused by friction of the needle on the record. That is claimed to ionize the air at the surface of the record, by bombarding it with alpha particles radiated by 0.5 microcurie of radium sulphate contained in the product. In the paper supplied with it, it says that the needle cannot push the dust particles which cause an audible click or pop, because they are securely held by the electrostatic charge.

Those little static eliminators have been removed from the market many years ago. They've been replaced by bigger expensive gadgets and I wonder if any of you use such newer devices. Arlo markets one of them.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Are many of you guys aware of the tiny record static eliminators that were selling in the 1960's?

I still have one Audiotex Atomic Stat-Elim but I haven't used it for over forty years. I intend to take to a municipal recycling place.

It's a tiny gadget that clips to the turntable headshell. It's based on the theory that dust is attracted to the record surface by a static electrical charge, caused by friction of the needle on the record. That is claimed to ionize the air at the surface of the record, by bombarding it with alpha particles radiated by 0.5 microcurie of radium sulphate contained in the product. In the paper supplied with it, it says that the needle cannot push the dust particles which cause an audible click or pop, because they are securely held by the electrostatic charge.

Those little static eliminators have been removed from the market many years ago. They've been replaced by bigger expensive gadgets and I wonder if any of you use such newer devices. Arlo markets one of them.
Had (well, still have) the Zerostat gun....never heard of one of yours!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis