Record cleaning question

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I am educated as a chemist (one of the best universities for this field), 18 years as an industrial analytical chemist (3 years in refineries and such, 15 years semiconductors), and have personal interests in astronomy and electronics! Just a few more classes and I would have associates degree and could be a certified electronics technician, but I have pretty much abandoned this track for now (just too many other priorities have taken over).

When we get into the high level chemistry and instrumental analysis, it all comes together as we take chemical molecules and convert that into an electrical analytical signal, and use quantum mechanical transitions to generate analytical signals.

From what I can tell, seems like you may be in your ideal job for your education too! Which is NEVER a given for any field.

Fun Stuff!

There is absolutely NEVER a dull moment at my job, ALWAYS high level problems to solve that often take the resources of engineers and labs. The story is ALWAYS told in the data, you just have to understand what the data is telling you, or determine that you don't have the right data to tell the full story.
I worked in chemistry for a while after getting my BS in Bio. Temped for a year or two in all sorts of jobs: fragrance, flavors, photochemicals, home bath soaps, and finally ended up in cosmetic chemistry for a good 15 years. I had thought about going back to school for engineering or physics for quite some time as I didn't really want to be making lipstick for the rest of my life. (fun fact, I've got a patent for lipstick) I had one last, absolutely awful job at a cosmetics contract manufacturer that was the final straw. I quit after 3 weeks and was registered for classes two days after that in an Engineering Physics BS program. Once I finish my training here they will pay for any further degrees should I decide to pursue one.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I would think a record would be as clean as it will ever be when new. This sounds like one of those unnecessary things some audiophiles fuss over that has little or no impact. I don't know how the cleaner works, but if it involves anything touching, brushing or wiping the record grooves I'd think that'd be more wear on the vinyl.
I use the Spin Clean system, works good for me. No cleaning system can repair a damaged record groove.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Any opinions on using a TSP (Trisodium phosphate ) solution for cleaning records? It's a really effective degreaser.

T

trochetier

Audioholic

I use the IPA (99%):Distilled water (1:1):3 drops of Dawn 3x. Microfiber towel. Works very well for my record collection. I also light wipe a anti-stat duster to clean the LP just prior to playing. (DO NOT substitute with rubbing alcohol)

Alternate to the above is the cleaning solution formula using Tegritol, see link above.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Any opinions on using a TSP (Trisodium phosphate ) solution for cleaning records? It's a really effective degreaser.
TSP is a highly effective degreaser, but is probably more than you need for cleaning records.

A 1% solution of TSP in water (1 gram per 100 mL total volume) is very basic (alkaline), pH of ~12. This can burn your hands. It will remove the label from the record, and unless it's very well rinsed with deionized or soft water, will leave a lot of phosphate salts on the record.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord

I use the IPA (99%):Distilled water (1:1):3 drops of Dawn 3x. Microfiber towel. Works very well for my record collection. I also light wipe a anti-stat duster to clean the LP just prior to playing. (DO NOT substitute with rubbing alcohol)
You left out the most important part. When you add the 3 drops of detergent, how much volume of the isopropyl alchohol/water mixture do you use?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
IMO, cleaning of vinyl records should not be necessary if you never touch the surfaces with your fingers and put the discs back in their sleeve after playing. A simple brush which runs on the surface of the disc should be sufficient to remove any dust that accumulates when playing them.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
IMO, cleaning of vinyl records should not be necessary if you never touch the surfaces with your fingers and put the discs back in their sleeve after playing. A simple brush which runs on the surface of the disc should be sufficient to remove any dust that accumulates when playing them.
There is always the situation where you buy a used record.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
TSP is a highly effective degreaser, but is probably more than you need for cleaning records.

A 1% solution of TSP in water (1 gram per 100 mL total volume) is very basic (alkaline), pH of ~12. This can burn your hands. It will remove the label from the record, and unless it's very well rinsed with deionized or soft water, will leave a lot of phosphate salts on the record.
Well then, I'm not going to try that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Then again there are single owner/user collections that are spotless and handled with white gloves and cleaning machines etc.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I am enjoying using my new Vinyl Vac. It has expanded my vinyl hobby. This is a deep cleaner if you are not familiar with it. I have a question for those that are also serious about record cleaning. Do you think it is necessary to clean a brand new record if it looks dust-free? I mean, are there unseen particulates on a new record that would be better off cleaned first?
ALWAYS clean your new records. Ive had some that didnt leave hardly any residue on my disc washer brush and those that piled a whole lot of crap on the brush.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Just ordered one of these suckers from Amazon. I have a lot of work ahead of me. @Swerd, when you mentioned dishwashing detergent, I assume you mean the kind used in a dishwasher and not the stuff you use in the sink? Just want to be clear on that.
1600955596589.png

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis