Receivers and subwoofers

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So looks like everyone goes for SVS...
Hah hah not everyone they're are other great options I almost went for the Monoprice 12 monoliths but there's a Bjorn's by my house here in San Antonio TX and they had a killer deal on the SVS subs that day. SVS has great subs with just the best customer service. They're 45 day trial full refund with free shipping both ways sure doesn't hurt either. But they're are also a lottoff other great sub companies out there

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I'm looking at the martin logan dynamo 1000 12" 1000w $699.99 it's worth it?
I wouldn't myself because for just a 100 bucks more they're are so many better options out there but I've never heard the Martin Logan so hopefully my opinion is taken subjectively. Maybe some members who have first hand experience with this sub can give you a better idea of if it'll work for you or not.

N

Nestorsh

Junior Audioholic
Okay I think I go for the svs because I can get that one at bb... I just don't like the front cover lol ... looks way nicer without it but I have a toddler at home...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'm looking at the martin logan dynamo 1000 12" 1000w $699.99 it's worth it?
If you have room for a larger sub, you will get more powerful performance. The ML subs are nice, but they are intended for situations that require small sizes and reasonable form factors. As a result they can't quite match the performance of these behemoths. All of the ported subs discussed in this thread are quite large by most people's standards. Some of them are quite heavy too, like the Monolith 12" THX, that is near 100 lbs. Not easy to handle!

N

Nestorsh

Junior Audioholic
Well I live in a small place... but I'm dreaming to get a house a soon as I can so I don't wanna get something fine and one day is gonna become too small. Don't know if getting the svs pb2000 would be bad right now.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well I live in a small place... but I'm dreaming to get a house a soon as I can so I don't wanna get something fine and one day is gonna become too small. Don't know if getting the svs pb2000 would be bad right now.

Might want to mock up the size of each sub with cardboard/boxes to get an idea how large they are for placement in your room....

N

Nestorsh

Junior Audioholic
Physical size will be fine but don't know about sound quality. The svs 2000 it's totally enclosed it's that something better than having a hole?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Physical size will be fine but don't know about sound quality. The svs 2000 it's totally enclosed it's that something better than having a hole?

? Are you considering putting them in a closed closet? These subs have to be in room- they won't work if they are shut off from the room too much.

N

Nestorsh

Junior Audioholic
No, what I'm trying to say it's that one doesn't have a hole in the box by the speaker.

N

Nestorsh

Junior Audioholic
I don't understand any of those terms.... can anyone tell me the difference in toddler words?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
OK the difference is that the enclosure without the hole will have significantly less deep bass output. That hole has vibrating air in it that is generating low frequencies. That is called Helmholts resonance. It operates on the same principle that a particular note is generated when you blow over the open top of a beer bottle or a jug. In a sub with the hole in it, called a ported sub, Helmholts resonance is very carefully controlled to give you a big assist in deep bass. The only penalties are that a larger cabinet is needed and there can't really be any more output below the resonant frequency of the port (but that is OK since these ports are producing sound at the lower end of human hearing ability).

To sum it up, larger sub with hole in it ("ported subwoofer") will have much more deep bass capability but is larger. Smaller closed cabinet sub (called a "sealed subwoofer") will be smaller but won't be nearly as capable in deep bass frequencies.

N

Nestorsh

Junior Audioholic
Sounds like ported subs are better to me... right now I have a polk psw108 and I don't know if is something about my settings, placement or its just the sub, but sounds bad when there's like a explosion it's like "drrrrrrrrrrr" instead making feel that vibration punch.. I don't know how to explain, I already checked many articles about crossovers and subwoofer set up but im just not happy with the results... I really appreciate the patience from all of yall!

OK the difference is that the enclosure without the hole will have significantly less deep bass output. That hole has vibrating air in it that is generating low frequencies. That is called Helmholts resonance. It operates on the same principle that a particular note is generated when you blow over the open top of a beer bottle or a jug. In a sub with the hole in it, called a ported sub, Helmholts resonance is very carefully controlled to give you a big assist in deep bass. The only penalties are that a larger cabinet is needed and there can't really be any more output below the resonant frequency of the port (but that is OK since these ports are producing sound at the lower end of human hearing ability).

To sum it up, larger sub with hole in it ("ported subwoofer") will have much more deep bass capability but is larger. Smaller closed cabinet sub (called a "sealed subwoofer") will be smaller but won't be nearly as capable in deep bass frequencies.

N

Nestorsh

Junior Audioholic
Thanks, now i can understand... one more question, pb1000 vs pb2000 its a big difference?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks, now i can understand... one more question, pb1000 vs pb2000 its a big difference?
There is a significant difference between them. The PB-2000 is a higher-performing subwoofer.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Hey just to give you a heads up I have 2 of the SVS PB 2000's the ported ones. Any they rock in your room space they will blow you AWAY. I have a huge open living room and they handle that space surprisingly well so I'm kind off jealous Id love to hear one of them in a smaller area like you got. They go down to 17hz that's DEEP for a sub that price and they handle music just as good as they do movies. A very musical sub for a ported sub I was very surprised about that

N

Nestorsh

Junior Audioholic
Hey just to give you a heads up I have 2 of the SVS PB 2000's the ported ones. Any they rock in your room space they will blow you AWAY. I have a huge open living room and they handle that space surprisingly well so I'm kind off jealous Id love to hear one of them in a smaller area like you got. They go down to 17hz that's DEEP for a sub that price and they handle music just as good as they do movies. A very musical sub for a ported sub I was very surprised about that
I want a huge living room, wanna trade? I will only get one, too expensive :( ... I already ordered :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Bro get the SVS PB 2000 since you plan to upgrade to a bigger place someday soon that baby will make the trip to a bigger room better then the 1000. Also if you can order direct from SVS. Go that route rather then through your brick and mortar retailer. SVS does this customer bill of rights that's unmatched by any coverage you can get from the retailer. And they have this thing where you have like a year to trade up to a higher model and as long as the original sub is sent back in its original box to them you can get the more expensive sub minus the cost of what you paid on the model you returned. So let's say you bought a PB 1000 you could return in a year and just pay the difference for the 2000. It's what I'm planning to do with the ones I bought next year.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hah
I want a huge living room, wanna trade? I will only get one, too expensive :( ... I already ordered :)

Hah hah no trades but you can come down and hear it anytime awesome on your purchase congratulations! You will not regret it it will make your Polk subwoofer sound like a sound bar. For the record I like the metal grills in person a lot better then I did on pictures but they match my setup really well. Can't wait to hear your reactions once you get it.

N

Nestorsh

Junior Audioholic
Hah

Hah hah no trades but you can come down and hear it anytime awesome on your purchase congratulations! You will not regret it it will make your Polk subwoofer sound like a sound bar. For the record I like the metal grills in person a lot better then I did on pictures but they match my setup really well. Can't wait to hear your reactions once you get it.
I really appreciate all the help. We'll see if I'm still alive when my wife find out I spend 800 in a sub :eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis