Receivers and subwoofers

N

Nestorsh

Junior Audioholic
Hello community!

I'm just wondering If you can just get any sub-woofer to any receiver or you have to get something in specific. I have a DENON AVR-S920W and I was thinking to get a Polk HTS12 Sub-woofer, but I'm not sure if I can do that.

Thanks!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
As long as your A/V receiver has a subwoofer output on the back on a RCA jack, typically called LFE output, or subwoofer output (yours does, in fact it has two!), and the subwoofer has a RCA subwoofer input called 'input' or 'LFE In' (the Polk does), then you are good to go.

This is a standard with decent A/V receivers and subwoofers. Some of the cheaper subwoofers are designed to work as part of a package, or don't have a built-in amplifier, but just ask if you have a question. You may also want to check to see if there may be some better sounding subwoofers for the money you are spending before you go out and buy.

But, this will work and it looks like you would be good to go. Just connect the subwoofer output #1 from the Denon to the LFE input of the Polk using a quality RCA cable.

N

Nestorsh

Junior Audioholic
So, I don't have to worry about Watts and all that? ...About check some better subs, are you trying to say thats not a good one?

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Hello community!

I'm just wondering If you can just get any sub-woofer to any receiver or you have to get something in specific. I have a DENON AVR-S920W and I was thinking to get a Polk HTS12 Sub-woofer, but I'm not sure if I can do that.

Thanks!
I own a Denon AVR 910 and it has a subwoofer out rca connector. I have run several subs with it.
works fine.
Is the Polk sub a great sub? I have no opinion on how good/bad the Polk may be because I haven't listened to one.
On Amazon, they list for $399 bucks. For another $100, you can get the Monolith sub, which is a THX certified sub. You can also go with a Hsu at $540 bucks that's a perennial winner. http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk5.html

There are a lot of "it depends" when it comes to subs. No sense spending a ton on a sub if the rest of your speakers aren't up to the job.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Polk subs aren't the best, no. What's your budget? What are the dimensions of the room you're using the sub in? This for movies and/or music? Guessing about $400-500 budget look at RSL's Speedwoofer 10s, or perhaps the HSU VTF2 Mk5.

Your avr only supplies a line-level signal from the pre-out, the self-amplified subwoofer will have sufficient wattage for its driver if well designed (and the wattage advertised for a sub is only relevant to the sensitivity of the sub itself as to how that may translate to sound pressure levels).

N

Nestorsh

Junior Audioholic
okay so right now I have Denon AVR-S920W With Polk Speakers (Signature) And polk psw108 sub I was thinking about upgrade my sub for the one just because seems same as the speakers and seems to be better that my actual sub. Room its about 10x18. I dont want to spend a lot of money tho

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No particular benefit in matching brand of speaker to brand of sub other than aesthetics. What do you find lacking with the sub now?

That's not a particularly large room (assuming it's not meters and you have a normal ceiling), is that room sealed off or is it open to others? Might want to check out this article https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/subwoofer-room-size

N

Nestorsh

Junior Audioholic
Its a small place and it's open to others. I'll check that article at home.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You had asked about 'watts' and such.

Most subwoofers are stand-alone units. They have a built-in amplifier and are designed to operate entirely on their own. So, your A/V receiver just needs to feed it audio, not power. Better subwoofers will have bigger built-in amplifiers and a larger/better speaker. So, you don't need to worry about your A/V receiver having power to drive the subwoofer, you just need to worry about getting the most bang for your buck from whatever subwoofer you end up getting.

For that, I suggest asking a new question in the forums about the 'best subwoofer for my money' and spell out the size of the room (length/width/height) as well as your budget. A good subwoofer can often carry over well to a newer, slightly larger space. IMO, there is no such thing as having too much subwoofer. You can always turn it down, but when you want solid bass response, it is nice to have that power available.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Be sure to look at SVS. I have the PB 2000 (12”) and am very pleased.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Look at ported subs from SVS, HSU, Rythmik, and Monolith. One good sub is nice, if you want perfect even bass, two identical good subs is the best. Like has been mentioned the volume of the space and any space open to that space is how you calculate the size of sub. (Sub sees all space open to it). Budget is the other consideration. Many are willing to do a single large sub to save or two smaller subs that can’t reach as low for theater effects is a different compromise. Others buy one and add a second later on. Additionally a lot of wives and girlfriends have a say in how large of sub they will tolerate... LOL. :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hey I gotta say SVS as well I've got 2 of they're PB 2000's and all I can say is WOW. But if your budget is around the price of the Polk then they're is a lot better for around that price. Hell the RSL speedwoofer is a better bargain for that price. As mentioned above the Monoprice 10 THX sub will Destroy that Polk and I'm not bashing Polk I love em especially the Signatures I had the S60's and really liked them. The Polk sub is not terrible it's just not that great. Man I wish you the best on picking out a subwoofer. I'm still learning too but I've learned from these guys just how important getting the best quality sub for bass that I can afford is to the music and movies in my system. It really can just transform your entire experience. Good bass is just that important. Best of luck to you on your decision bro take your time and have fun picking out the sub you want! Looking 4ward to hearing about what you get!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I own a Denon AVR 910 and it has a subwoofer out rca connector. I have run several subs with it.
works fine.
Is the Polk sub a great sub? I have no opinion on how good/bad the Polk may be because I haven't listened to one.
On Amazon, they list for $399 bucks. For another $100, you can get the Monolith sub, which is a THX certified sub. You can also go with a Hsu at $540 bucks that's a perennial winner. http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk5.html

There are a lot of "it depends" when it comes to subs. No sense spending a ton on a sub if the rest of your speakers aren't up to the job.
Hey I just wanted to say hello to you I've enjoyed your comments on this and other sites. I really enjoyed your experiences with your Monoprice subs I went SVS instead but man I almost pulled the triggers on those. I really related to your statements about just how much you didn't realize you were missing without real quality bass. I had the same experience when I took the plunge and did the SVS PB 2000's I just completely related. Anyways I just wanted to say hello and I'm looking forward to sharing experiences with you and hearing your insights down the road.

N

Nestorsh

Junior Audioholic
What about Martin logan or bowers and wilkins subs?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
What about Martin logan or bowers and wilkins subs?
Im not as experienced as other members so they can probably better inform you but there's a reason those names don't get mentioned as options for somebody jumping into this. From my experience those companies subs just can't compete with companies such as HSU Rhythmik SVS Monoprice (RSL if your on a tight budget). They may not be awful but for your buck your paying may for the name then the quality of the sub. I'm not saying those companies don't make excellent products in other areas but they're subwoofers just aren't that good as other companies you've heard of in this thread and those other companies are usually a lot less expensive with AMAZING customer service

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I was at a launch event for the new ML Dynamo subs recently. They are doing some cool things. They can't really compete in low-frequency extension against subs that use larger enclosures, but if you need a smaller sub, they look to be pretty good.

Last edited:
N

Nestorsh

Junior Audioholic
I'm looking at the martin logan dynamo 1000 12" 1000w $699.99 it's worth it?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
So looks like everyone goes for SVS...
I’ve got a Rythmik LVX12 that I love. SVS PB2000 is similiar (both are 12in ported front firing). A lot of people also like HSU VTF3 mk5 (15in ported).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis