Receivers and subwoofers

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well I don't know I've seen there's three ways to plug your sub, single rca (lfe) , rca (white and red), and using speaker cable. I don't really get the difference.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Depends somewhat on the gear you're running the sub with. Usually all you need is a single rca connection to the sub's LFE input when using an avr with bass management with a sub pre-out; generally the only thing the LFE input on a sub offers is a bypass of the sub's built-in low pass filter (usually that's all a sub has even if they label it "crossover"). Some pre-outs with low output might benefit from using a splitter to use both rca inputs on a sub, usually there's a 6dB gain advantage connecting this way (and you manually turn off the low pass filter/crossover on the sub if using an avr for bass management). Some old two ch gear may not have a proper sub pre-out (or any bass management) and then you can use both the L/R connections and let the sub sum it to mono. Some old two ch gear may not have even rca pre-outs, and then you might find the speaker level connections your only way to go...

N

Nestorsh

Junior Audioholic
Depends somewhat on the gear you're running the sub with. Usually all you need is a single rca connection to the sub's LFE input when using an avr with bass management with a sub pre-out; generally the only thing the LFE input on a sub offers is a bypass of the sub's built-in low pass filter (usually that's all a sub has even if they label it "crossover"). Some pre-outs with low output might benefit from using a splitter to use both rca inputs on a sub, usually there's a 6dB gain advantage connecting this way (and you manually turn off the low pass filter/crossover on the sub if using an avr for bass management). Some old two ch gear may not have a proper sub pre-out (or any bass management) and then you can use both the L/R connections and let the sub sum it to mono. Some old two ch gear may not have even rca pre-outs, and then you might find the speaker level connections your only way to go...
I feel so dumb, cant understand :(

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I feel so dumb, cant understand :(

You'll need to ask questions as to what you don't understand....glad to try and help but there is a certain level of comfort for the terminology and gear in use.....

N

Nestorsh

Junior Audioholic
Mi actual receiver has two subs out, buy my sub only has R/L RCA so I used an rca with a Y, but I know some subs have those two options single rca and R/L RCA. So that's why I wonder if there's a difference.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Mi actual receiver has two subs out, buy my sub only has R/L RCA so I used an rca with a Y, but I know some subs have those two options single rca and R/L RCA. So that's why I wonder if there's a difference.

No harm in using the y-connector, you probably don't need the gain advantage, though. Most subs will work with a single rca and the output level of the avr without doing that, just manually max out the low pass filter on the sub if using both inputs.

N

Nestorsh

Junior Audioholic
But what about now with the svs pb2000, will be better to use the single one?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Yes, I'd just use one from one of the avr's sub pre-outs to the PB2000's LFE input.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Basically bro the one cord to your sub's life from your receivers sub output is GREAT cus it's SIMPLE you can just have your reciever set the level for your subwoofer which is easy when you get your sub post back on this thread we will walk you through it. Doing it with the two cable thing think SUCKS cus it's more complicated you got to set up all the bass stuff at the sub as well as the reciever more COMPLICATED. So think one cable to LFE good two cable to sub bad. Lol. :)Just think of it like that bro till you get more experience and your more comfortable with the lingo. Keep it real simple as you start off that'll help out a lot.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

I just do the one cable each from from my receivers 2 sub outputs to each of my PB 2000's LFE inputs. Then like I said just program my reciever to set my subs to act the way I want then adjust the volume in the back of the subs and BAM! It's aaaallll gravy! When you get your sub post me and I'll help you out with it since I've Got the PB 2000's if you need any help.

N

Nestorsh

Junior Audioholic
They I should go buy an LFE cable (or whatever it's called, single RCA?) Right now I only have a regular RCA With red and white and a Y.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
They I should go buy an LFE cable (or whatever it's called, single RCA?) Right now I only have a regular RCA With red and white and a Y.

Yessir buy the LFE cable. They come in different lengths avoid the snake oil! A good cable is a good cable! Don't buy the B.S.from like Best Buy etc that charge a ridiculous amount. You can order one off of Amazon for a great price and it will work just as good as the $300 one. SVS sells good ones for a little higher but still a fair price But just look up LFE or subwoofer cable on Amazon pick the length and the fairest low priced best rated one and you should be all good

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
I am running two of the monoprice cables at 50ft. Same thing. A little left over coiled under a counch. Running two nearfield subs. No issues with the longer cables.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Should work?
https://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-ULTRA-Subwoofer-Cable-Feet/dp/B003FW0WIK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1530790920&sr=8-3&keywords=lfe+subwoofer+cable

If I get a long one will be that a problem, even if i keep it rolled behind the sub, just in case i wanna put the sub somewhere else later?
Hell yeah that's the brand I use and like someone posted in front of me longer ones are not a problem I always buy them really long as well so like you if I wanna move subs later I can no problem. Also I keep them rolled up underneath my av racks so that will work just fine

N

Nestorsh

Junior Audioholic
So finally got my pb2000 anybody can help me set it up?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Sure do you have a spot in your room your old sub sounded best cuz if you found that sweet spot that's where it goes. After that post me back tell me what kind off reciever your using and I'll help you get through the rest

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

As mentioned, first find the best spot for it....do the sub crawl if you haven't already for your previous sub, like Dan says put it in that best spot in your room. A quick way to setup is simply re-running Audyssey with your avr and then adjust sub level to taste afterwards (many prefer a boost of 2-5dB on the sub level), just make sure if your avr sets speakers to large after running Audyssey to change them to small to take advantage of your sub. Other helpful articles https://duckduckgo.com/?q=subwoofer+setup+site:audioholics.com&t=h_&atb=v91-2_j&ia=web

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis