T

Tankman

Audioholic
Performance!

View attachment 21165

Setup was super simple. Just plug the included cord into the back of the unit and plug the other end into a wall socket. That light tho...

View attachment 21166

Does turn off! I had to read the manual to figure it out and it wasn't super clear (at least for me, I'm slipping in my old age. :p), but I got it figured out.

I like the way it looks and it's plenty quiet. There are 3 different modes- On, Auto and Smart. I went with the latter. It kicks on at a higher speed when it gets up to 88° F, then adjusts down a notch every 2 degrees until it hits 84° and shuts off. I think auto does the same thing without adjusting the fans' speed. You can adjust that (fan speed) also. High makes some noise, but not bad at all from where I sit. 50% is pretty much completely inaudible.

I dig it. Makes me feel good things are running cooler now and I'm (hopefully) adding some life to my receiver. Thanks for the suggestion Kurt!
Porge,

Marantz has had that front face look for years, clean not cluttered up with a bunch of little push buttons, small labels that you can't see with a magnifying glass on the front faceplate. With the cooling fan on top have to agree with "loveinthehd" the appeal of the anesthetics are a nice match. If my unit wasn't at the low end of the pole I would consider that fan as a viable option for cooling down. Heat being #1 enemy to this Hobby, now if I can just figure how to mount a fan in my Towers to cool off them lil tweeters..Lol..

Mike

T

Tankman

Audioholic
Thanks Kurt. I got my fan today! It just arrived at the door and I took some unboxing pics. :)

View attachment 21159
View attachment 21160
View attachment 21161
View attachment 21162

Nothing super exciting about the packing. Typical for this type of product. The more extravagant equipment gets a little more care, but this was plenty sufficient for the fan.

View attachment 21163

It's all metal on the outside and has a little bit of weight to it. It feels good in your hands and the brushed metal look blends very nicely with my SR6011 receiver.

View attachment 21164

Each of the fans have their own silicon mounts to help with vibration noises. They're nice and soft, but dense enough to do what they're intended for.
Question? I haven't research that particular fan, but does it pull the heat out of your unit? or does it just blow the air down to cool off? I am asking that cause down here where the humidity gets so thick you can cut it with a butter knife, if that fan pulls the heat out and up than I would think that's the better route so to speak so condensation doesn't build up underneath the fan box and maybe drip down moisture.

Mike

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I just spent the last hour listening to music at -10. I don't think the fan shut off once, but it never got hot on the surface of the 6011. Felt like it was running nice and cool. At normal listening levels it does cycle on and off so it doesn't run constantly. Well, only when I crank it up to -10. :p

I used the spl meter app on my tablet to check roughly where it was. ~85 - 87 db according to it. I'm guessing the truth might be a little higher. It was good, loud and clean. I goofed around with the spl calculator and it looks like I was using about 5 watts. Wow.
Sounds like a light db # for that setting on your 6011...I bought one of these meters because I had no idea how the volume numbers on my pre/pro equated to spl.

spl meter.JPG

I haven't hooked up the subs yet (I will this weekend) Last night I played a CD with the AV volume on 53...from my seat this thing registered a range of 64-78 db...the reading right in from the mains was peaking at 85db.

Of course my mains are larger, but cranked to -10...your db might be higher.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sounds like a light db # for that setting on your 6011...I bought one of these meters because I had no idea how the volume numbers on my pre/pro equated to spl.

View attachment 21194

I haven't hooked up the subs yet (I will this weekend) Last night I played a CD with the AV volume on 53...from my seat this thing registered a range of 64-78 db...the reading right in from the mains was peaking at 85db.

Of course my mains are larger, but cranked to -10...your db might be higher.
I got my Umik mic yesterday and dipped my toe into rew. Good lord, I spent hours messing around and reading up and managed to get 1 sweep done. :confused: It does spl also and yes, the app was pretty far off.

2channel lover

I got my Umik mic yesterday and dipped my toe into rew. Good lord, I spent hours messing around and reading up and managed to get 1 sweep done. :confused: It does spl also and yes, the app was pretty far off.
SPL...yeah I figured it might be off...the meter I got was not one of the really expensive ones (<$20), but most people that bought it and also have experience with more expensive ones seem to think it's fairly accurate.

I've been watching that thread and scratching my head at the same time...may as well have been written in Chinese to me...way over my head.

What I have been able to gather is you are running the room correction software on the AVR and to get better results you bought an upgraded mic for better results.

I've had my AV since Dec and have not yet even approached Audyessy.

Lord only knows what my charts would look like! I'm wiring up the subs and surrounds tomorrow so had planned to run Audyessy then. I probably should be getting ready to order one of those mics too.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
SPL...yeah I figured it might be off...the meter I got was not one of the really expensive ones (<$20), but most people that bought it and also have experience with more expensive ones seem to think it's fairly accurate.

I've been watching that thread and scratching my head at the same time...may as well have been written in Chinese to me...way over my head.

What I have been able to gather is you are running the room correction software on the AVR and to get better results you bought an upgraded mic for better results.

I've had my AV since Dec and have not yet even approached Audyessy.

Lord only knows what my charts would look like! I'm wiring up the subs and surrounds tomorrow so had planned to run Audyessy then. I probably should be getting ready to order one of those mics too.
Yeah, I'm still scratching my head. Not only do I not read chinese, I type it even worse! I'm in a jam right now and don't know what to do going forward. I'm gonna keep playing around until I get it. What sucks is, I was able to take a couple measurements last night on my wife's lappy and now I can barely get anything on mine. I'm getting frustrated.

You gathered correctly. I'm just taking what Audyssey did and tweaking it in more accurately. I got a MiniDSP with it that I haven't opened yet. I may end up using it though, because I don't know if the app editor will allow for really fine tuning. Of course I can't to anything without some measurements! gah

2channel lover

Yeah, I'm still scratching my head. Not only do I not read chinese, I type it even worse! I'm in a jam right now and don't know what to do going forward. I'm gonna keep playing around until I get it. What sucks is, I was able to take a couple measurements last night on my wife's lappy and now I can barely get anything on mine. I'm getting frustrated.

You gathered correctly. I'm just taking what Audyssey did and tweaking it in more accurately. I got a MiniDSP with it that I haven't opened yet. I may end up using it though, because I don't know if the app editor will allow for really fine tuning. Of course I can't to anything without some measurements! gah
I don't envy you!

I'm afraid to see what might happen when I connect these other speakers/subs and run Audyssey.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't envy you!

I'm afraid to see what might happen when I connect these other speakers/subs and run Audyssey.
You'll probably find that it makes everything sound better! Audyssey is pretty simple. The instructions are clear on the monitor and it guides you where to place the mic for each measurement. The hardest part for me is getting silence in this house... o_O

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

It is not a perfect match for profile, but close!

That was the best image I found. I'd recommend saving about $30 and skipping the digital temperature display:
https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-Cooling-Receivers-Components/dp/B01LVUWOBX/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1496619519&sr=1-6&keywords=ac+infinity+system

If you want to know the temperature, use the $30 to get one of these and you can also make sure you won't burn your tongue eating quiche!

https://www.amazon.com/Non-Contact-Thermometer-P-JING-Temperature-Instant-read/dp/B01MT34KJQ/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_79_tr_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4VR4Q7HA02HJ4BHWTPQC
I borrowed a laser thermometer from neighbor bob. I was hitting 135 F without the fan and only 91 with the fan. I'd say it made a difference!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis