Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I wouldn't take the numbers derived from those graphs to be accurate is all....but the times I've tried to use the manual EQ with the copy thing I still was happier with the Audyssey results....
Oh, me too. I'm not talking about the charts either though.

20170604_171540-1305x734.jpg

That's the curve copy. I totally get everything you've said and I'm pretty sure the same applies here. Just want to make sure we're talking about the same thing. Those adjustments are almost completely opposite from where my 1200 put things. Another thing to not put any stock into?

Question though, if those charts are no good for reference, why have them? Is it just fluff that won't match up with a "true" measurement?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This is the before and after for my sub.

Screenshot_2017-06-02-20-29-23-1024x640.png

It sure looks awesome! :p I'm gonna order a Umik mic after I catch up here. Hope that they have rew for android tablets..?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Looks like rew doesn't like to play with android. I can use my laptop provided the cord for the mic is pretty long.
I think my umik cable came with a 9 footer. Then you'll need and hdmi cable to go the the avr aux port in front. And the rabbit hole deepens... lol

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

It is not a perfect match for profile, but close!

That was the best image I found. I'd recommend saving about $30 and skipping the digital temperature display:
https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-Cooling-Receivers-Components/dp/B01LVUWOBX/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1496619519&sr=1-6&keywords=ac+infinity+system

If you want to know the temperature, use the $30 to get one of these and you can also make sure you won't burn your tongue eating quiche!

https://www.amazon.com/Non-Contact-Thermometer-P-JING-Temperature-Instant-read/dp/B01MT34KJQ/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_79_tr_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4VR4Q7HA02HJ4BHWTPQC
Thank you Kurt! Somehow I missed this post yesterday. That's a better price than I've found for similar looking fans. I do like the way they look, that's why I was checking prices on them.

I'm about to order either just the Umik mic or the Umik MiniDSP Umik combo. Best price I've found is direct from their site ($279 on ebay, but would rather pay the extra buck to get it from the manufacturer). Can I get by with just a mic and rew using the editor app, or do you guys think the mini 2x4hd will more or less be a necessity if I want to go there at all?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a regular digital stem food thermometer I use for cooking. I laid it on top of the 6011 for a couple minutes and it topped out at just under 125° F. That's just laying on the surface, not going inside with a laser thermometer (wish I woulda grabbed one from work before I quit! :p). That seems pretty hot to me.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I have a regular digital stem food thermometer I use for cooking. I laid it on top of the 6011 for a couple minutes and it topped out at just under 125° F. That's just laying on the surface, not going inside with a laser thermometer (wish I woulda grabbed one from work before I quit! :p). That seems pretty hot to me.
I agree that seems pretty hot, but not out of spec.
I keep my cooler on the low fan setting which is pretty quiet, but you can still hear in a quiet room (no HVAC, water, or fridge in the kitchen running). The temp sensor cycles it on and off and over 1.5 years I have never noticed it coming on when sitting at my LP (not that I have deliberately tried to) so I can't really complain about sound levels. But it does an excellent job of keeping things cool. Note that there are options. Some blow down through the unit, some suck out the top like the one I linked (which I think is best if your setup can accommodate) and some blow out the back (if you had a tight fitting open-backed cabinet).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree that seems pretty hot, but not out of spec.
I keep my cooler on the low fan setting which is pretty quiet, but you can still hear in a quiet room (no HVAC, water, or fridge in the kitchen running). The temp sensor cycles it on and off and over 1.5 years I have never noticed it coming on when sitting at my LP (not that I have deliberately tried to) so I can't really complain about sound levels. But it does an excellent job of keeping things cool. Note that there are options. Some blow down through the unit, some suck out the top like the one I linked (which I think is best if your setup can accommodate) and some blow out the back (if you had a tight fitting open-backed cabinet).
Top is what would work best for my setup I think. I have 6" clearance there so there's room for heat dissipation. I'm gonna go that route. I want this receiver to last a good, long time.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh! I remember what I was gonna ask. Why are there 3 (so far that I've found) different adjustments for sub levels? There's one under "Audio" called "Subwoofer Level Adjust" that can be turned on and off, there's another one when you push the "Option" button called "Channel Level Adjust" that appears to be always on, default zero, then there is of course the trim setting under "Speakers-Manual Setup-Levels-Test Tone Start".

It's a little confusing. Where should I be making adjustments to say, boost it by 3db? o_O

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I believe it's under the "speakers manual test tone start". That way it saves to memory. Some of the trims you can do on the fly don't save when you power down.
For the umik, there's not a lot of value in it without manual EQ. You can adjust phase/XO/levels/distance etc but, I think the value is having total control. XT32 is really good, but not nearly as granular as minidsp.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I believe it's under the "speakers manual test tone start". That way it saves to memory. Some of the trims you can do on the fly don't save when you power down.
For the umik, there's not a lot of value in it without manual EQ. You can adjust phase/XO/levels/distance etc but, I think the value is having total control. XT32 is really good, but not nearly as granular as minidsp.
Looking at the combo pack on Amazon right now. Methinks I shall put it on my Amazon card...

*Edit: Done.
Screenshot_2017-06-05-15-39-33-1.png

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Oh! I remember what I was gonna ask. Why are there 3 (so far that I've found) different adjustments for sub levels? There's one under "Audio" called "Subwoofer Level Adjust" that can be turned on and off, there's another one when you push the "Option" button called "Channel Level Adjust" that appears to be always on, default zero, then there is of course the trim setting under "Speakers-Manual Setup-Levels-Test Tone Start".

It's a little confusing. Where should I be making adjustments to say, boost it by 3db? o_O
I'd have to get in front of my AVR to know where I adjust it (I won't be home for a day or two), but pretty sure your AVR retains multiple source-dependent settings!
What that means for me is when I am playing a CD, I turn the subs to something like -2dB from where Audyssey sets them (which I prefer for music).
When I am playing BD/DVD I set the subs around +6dB from Audyssey.
The AVR remembers the last setting for each source, so every time you return to the CD it is set correctly for music, and every time you return to HT it is set the way you want it for HT.

Just to take it one step farther, my BD player has HDMI, TosLink, and RCA outputs. I have the HDMI set as the BD input and the TosLink set as the CD input, so even though there is actually only one source (equipment-wise) I still have my custom setting available by choosing the source!

You may have to play with it to make sure whatever method you are using to adjust the sub will be retained - that may be one of the reasons for the 3 ways to adjust it.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks Kurt. I got my fan today! It just arrived at the door and I took some unboxing pics. :)

20170607_145540-1305x734.jpg

20170607_145645-1305x734.jpg

20170607_145655-1305x734.jpg

20170607_145727-1305x734.jpg

Nothing super exciting about the packing. Typical for this type of product. The more extravagant equipment gets a little more care, but this was plenty sufficient for the fan.

20170607_150745-1305x734.jpg

It's all metal on the outside and has a little bit of weight to it. It feels good in your hands and the brushed metal look blends very nicely with my SR6011 receiver.

20170607_151236-1305x734.jpg

Each of the fans have their own silicon mounts to help with vibration noises. They're nice and soft, but dense enough to do what they're intended for.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Performance!

20170607_151629-1305x734.jpg

Setup was super simple. Just plug the included cord into the back of the unit and plug the other end into a wall socket. That light tho...

20170607_154349-1305x734.jpg

Does turn off! I had to read the manual to figure it out and it wasn't super clear (at least for me, I'm slipping in my old age. :p), but I got it figured out.

I like the way it looks and it's plenty quiet. There are 3 different modes- On, Auto and Smart. I went with the latter. It kicks on at a higher speed when it gets up to 88° F, then adjusts down a notch every 2 degrees until it hits 84° and shuts off. I think auto does the same thing without adjusting the fans' speed. You can adjust that (fan speed) also. High makes some noise, but not bad at all from where I sit. 50% is pretty much completely inaudible.

I dig it. Makes me feel good things are running cooler now and I'm (hopefully) adding some life to my receiver. Thanks for the suggestion Kurt!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just spent the last hour listening to music at -10. I don't think the fan shut off once, but it never got hot on the surface of the 6011. Felt like it was running nice and cool. At normal listening levels it does cycle on and off so it doesn't run constantly. Well, only when I crank it up to -10. :p

I used the spl meter app on my tablet to check roughly where it was. ~85 - 87 db according to it. I'm guessing the truth might be a little higher. It was good, loud and clean. I goofed around with the spl calculator and it looks like I was using about 5 watts. Wow.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
And as I was typing that, my wife walked in the door with my new mic and MiniDSP! It arrived a day early! Oh boy... time to get busy and start figuring it out.

T

Tankman

Audioholic
And as I was typing that, my wife walked in the door with my new mic and MiniDSP! It arrived a day early! Oh boy... time to get busy and start figuring it out.
Pogre

At lease she knows what makes you happy. Seems to be a pair...of luv birds in my book...:p..Enjoy Your Hobby!!!..and remember: Never trust a man who doesn't like music!

Mike

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I don't think that your wife would prefer that you had a passion for other women! It better be for music and hi-fi stuff though. She has to understand, but some women ????

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis