Receiver Hot Picks #1

<font color='#000000'>I have been asked many times by fellow Audioholics what Receiver to buy in a market which seems to have infinite choices.  I have prepared a brief summary in response for what I feel are the top contenders based on price and performance.  There are many other models out there as well, but I happen to be partial to these units based on my own experience with them.

You may also wish to review the Receiver Buying Guidelines article I wrote awhile back for more guidance.

Listed below are rankings from Best to Worst for Home Theater Receivers with respect to amplifier power and quality:

1) Denon AVR-4802
2) Onkyo TX-DS898
3) Onkyo TX-DS797*
4) Sony STR-DA5ES*

[More]</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I wouldn't trust any Sony or Pioneer product, no matter what price range. &nbsp;Why the heck isn't HK even mentioned? &nbsp;I mean, some people seem to be freaked out by their quality control problems, but I've heard nothing but good things about their recent 10, 20, and 25 series. &nbsp;Have u even heard the new 8000? (THX cert)</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Woops, forgot to add another name. &nbsp;Marantz, anyone?....</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>This article focused on just a few models we were fortunate to have personal experiences with.
In the past, I have attempted to evaluate HK receivers, but always found reliablity problems to get in the way of my reviews. &nbsp;I am sure the HK 8000 is an exceptional Receiver. &nbsp;However, since I did not personally evaluate it, I cannot yet recommend it to all the Audioholics out there. &nbsp;Perhaps others can comment on their experiences.</font>

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
<font color='#000000'>Hi
Dont mean to pile on here but it should also be pointed out that the Sony ES line is not your average Sony receiver
That goes double for the Elite line of Pioneer
and FIY &nbsp;Denon Electronics and Marantz have now merged
as a company &nbsp;I dont know if this will effect any future
products or not &nbsp;just a little info thats all &nbsp;

Happy Listening</font>

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis