Denon AVR-S900 Receiver Review

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi

I recently had the fortune to audition this receiver and wanted to share my thoughts with you all. It's at the top of Denon's "S" line of receivers, and is very similar to (but slightly less feature-rich than) their AVR-X2100 model.

(The following is from a review that I recently wrote for Amazon, hence my wording and "star" ratings below.)

This is essentially the replacement for last year's Denon AVR-E400 that I reviewed (and a lot of this review will follow the same approach that I used for that review), and they've improved upon some of the things that I didn't love about the E400. Last year, I felt that the Onkyo TX-NR626 bested the E400 and was probably the best bang-for-the-buck around for Audyssey fans. To be honest, if you aren't looking for 4K video passthrough at 60Hz (the main point to HDMI 2.0), I'd probably still steer you towards that model. Now that Onkyo has moved away from using Audyssey, the S900 is a really solid option for you if you prefer that auto calibration system and might be the new sweet spot for some fans.

Before getting into a lot of details, I want to say this - after getting it all set up and calibrated, I nearly teared up while listening to one of the concert DVDs that I use to audition gear at loud volumes. I'm not exaggerating. It sounded _that_ good. Plenty of power to play loud and clean on my system, and Audyssey does a great job if you're sitting in the right spot (more on that below). I had a frustrating time in that two of my five HDMI sources would play audio but wouldn't show video, which I eventually fixed by swapping out some of the Redmere HDMI cables with non-Redmere cables (so, if you have trouble and are using Redmere cables, try some other ones).

The biggest selling points for this year's models in this price range are: (1) HDMI 2.0 that will let you pass 4K video at up to 60Hz, versus 24Hz in last year's models, (2) some additional connections like a second HDMI output and component video output, and (3) built-in WiFi and Bluetooth versus last year's Ethernet jack. The E400 has the same amount of power, same Audyssey Bronze auto calibration system, and is also a network receiver. Last year's Onkyo TX-NR626 is still strong competition against this model unless you want HDMI 2.0, as it also has very good connectivity, WiFi, and (IMO) a better remote control. So, unless you want to pass 4K video at 60Hz through your receiver, you might want to check out last year's models to see if you can get what you want for a little less money.

Alright, let's get into what _this_ receiver can do for you. This is a nice receiver that does a lot of things well. It's at the top of Denon's "S" line of network receivers, and is very similar to (but slightly less feature-rich than) their AVR-X2100 model. By itself, while having a few shortcomings for my needs, it's overall a solid unit with some really neat features. This review is a bit lengthy, but I think that $500-$600 is a lot of money, and I hope that you find it helpful in your search for a new receiver.

I read about and discuss receivers on an audio/video forum (Audioholics) a lot, and the things that I recommend that you look at when shopping are: connections (does it have everything that you want/need), auto calibration (a huge plus, IMO), features (can it do everything that you want), power (can it play as loud as you want and still sound good), ease of use, and the remote control. Price, of course, also weighs into it - I never want to spend more than I have to in order to get what I want, but I don't want to spend less and then be unhappy for years because I bought something that doesn't do what I want. This Denon doesn't do everything that I want, but it does a lot really well, and it might be perfect for you depending on your needs.

(I'm currently working on a video and will ask a mod to add it here when I'm done.)

SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS
This Denon has all of the connections that I need, has plenty of power for me, and does really well in the initial setup and overall ease of use. Where it falls short for me (but maybe not you) are (a) the Audyssey auto calibration can't store multiple configurations, such as for different locations in a room, (b) it still uses the same Audyssey Bronze calibration as last year's model in this price class while other brands offer subwoofer EQ in this price range, (c) it can't decode DSD over HDMI (but it can play it over a network), and (d) the remote control can't operate any other equipment like a blu-ray player or TV even though it has all of the needed buttons.

My overall recommendations are:
(*) If you are open to other brands and aren't set on getting Audyssey, then I highly recommend that you check out the Pioneer VSX-1124. It has more of some connections but less of others, can store multiple configurations for its auto calibration system (which includes subwoofer EQ), can decode DSD from SACDs, has equivalent power ratings, and has a more capable remote control. It does not have built-in Bluetooth or WiFi, though.
(*) If you are set on getting a Denon, then I'd say compare this against the Denon AVR-X2100 or (while supplies last) last year's AVR-E400 and AVR-X line. The X2100 steps up a notch in Audyssey capability. Last year's models do not have HDMI 2.0, Bluetooth, or WiFi, but they might have more of other things that what you want for less money. If you want 4K passthrough at 60Hz, though, this year's models are the ticket.

DETAILS
First, a quick description of my setup and experience to set the stage. I have a 7.2 speaker setup using surround back channels and two powered subs. I have six matching bookshelf speakers for fronts and surrounds and the matching center channel. My current receiver is a Pioneer Elite VSX-23 bought in 2009, before that it was a Pioneer VSX-1015 from 2005, and before that a Yamaha RX-V992 from 1997. For over five years, and up until a month ago, I was also running two external power amps (200W for front speakers, 150W for all others). The first auto calibration system that I'd ever used was on the VSX-1015, and ever since, I've been a HUGE fan of that capability. It made a big difference in the quality of sound in my setup, both accounting for room interactions as well as tonal differences between the bookshelf and center channel speakers. I've also used Audyssey Bronze in five different receivers (including this Denon).

Connections: 5 Stars
This unit can initially seem lacking because the back panel looks pretty barren compared to older receivers, but it actually has everything that I need these days. With the exception of the optical audio output from my TV and coax audio output from a DVR, all of my other gear uses HDMI. I'm glad to see more HDMI inputs being added to accommodate more gear, because my Pioneer Elite doesn't quite have enough. Of course, you've got to make sure that it has what YOU need, because that is probably different than what I need. While I actually liked the push-in speaker connectors on last year's E400, I'm glad that they went back to the kind that accept banana plugs being pushed in from the rear. First, because they are easier to deal with if you're reaching behind the receiver in your entertainment center; and second, the E400 had one speaker connector poorly placed that made inserting a larger banana plug into it impossible. A couple of the inputs are a bit (just a bit) blocked by the antenna clips for the WiFi antennas, but those clips can be easily removed.

Auto Calibration: 3 Stars (might be 5 stars for you, though)
Auto calibration is a wonderful thing, and if you've never used it, I think that you'll love it. Audyssey seems to work pretty well and sounds good in the location where I set up the mic and ran the calibration. My biggest complaint is that it cannot store multiple configurations. In my room, I have two main seating locations - one is centrally located relative to the speakers, while the other is off to the side. The relative distances between the speakers and those two locations (and hence the optimal timing and volume levels for each speaker) are significantly different. MCACC (at least the Advanced version on my Pioneer and the VSX-1124) can store up to six configurations, so I can have one for the central location and another one for the side location. Audyssey, at least on this receiver, can't do that. I can place the mic in both locations during setup, but it still sets the timing based on the first mic location. If you have a seating arrangement in your room where everyone sits pretty close, then this might not matter to you, and you very well might consider Audyssey to be a five star system. A lot of people love it. Only being able to store one configuration is a big disappointment to me, and I do wish Audyssey would change that in the future. I also wish that subwoofer equalization would have been included at this price point, as it is included in the Pioneer VSX-1124.

Features: 4 Stars
It has pretty much everything that I want (Audyssey limitations aside) except it won't decode DSD over HDMI. This is a downer for me, but probably won't matter to most of you. I do like how they added the ability to stream DSD to this receiver over a network. I love the ability to rename the inputs (e.g. "PS3") and select which inputs get cycled through when you use the selector buttons on the front panel (my Pioneer also has this). For example, if you only have four components connected, you can set in the menu that you only want to cycle through those four instead of having to cycle through all of the inputs (including several that you never use) just to get to the ones that you want. VERY nice. HDMI pass through in standby mode is also very nice. The networking features (like internet radio and DLNA) are also cool, but not something that I'll use often. I might use the DLNA a lot if it could handle video files, but it will only stream audio files. As far as I saw, you can't access the menu system from the receiver itself, so you need the remote to do that.

Power: 5 Stars
This has plenty of power for me. It is just like the E400 and really shines in this area. I don't tend to listen very loudly, so I don't need a lot of power. However, I checked out its capabilities at pretty loud volumes (0 dB, or reference level, on the volume control). One of my test cases to check out power is Fleetwood Mac's "The Dance" DVD. I use it because it's 5.1 and therefore uses five of the amp channels to some extent, and because it has short dynamic power requirements for things like guitar string plucks. The reason that I added a power amp to my first Pioneer, besides the real reason of just wanting to try one out :), is that I could tell that the music wasn't as crisp and clear at high volumes. For lack of a better word, it sounded muffled. The dynamics just weren't there, and it's because that Pioneer didn't have enough juice for the peaks (like guitar string plucks and cymbals) at higher volumes (at my normal listening volumes, though, that Pioneer was fine). So, I tried that exact same disc with this receiver - and it did great. Even at a setting of 0 dB on the volume level (so, reference level, and MUCH louder than I'd ever normally listen), the dynamics were still there. When listening in the Pure Direct mode, it seriously almost had me tearing up it sounded so good. No need for any external amplification in my case, which is nice because this amp doesn't support that capability.

Ease of Use: 4 Stars (after I replaced some HDMI cables)
Honestly, I have no trouble using receivers that some other people consider complicated, so I'm probably not the best judge. This receiver, though, does seem very easy to use. I love that the OSD (including the setup menus) will overlay on top of what you're watching and let you keep watching as long as you have "Video Conversion" set to On. The OSD is also graphically nice and laid out well. The setup wizard is just top-notch and steps you through how to get everything connected in a nice, graphical way. I thought last year's E400 setup wizard was great, and they've made it even nicer. Audyssey setup is a breeze, and is part of that nice setup wizard. I docked it a star because changing the sound modes isn't quite as easy as I'd like.

Remote: 3 Stars
Okay, I hate that this thing isn't a universal remote. The remote's simplicity is both a blessing and a curse. The blessing is that the buttons are large and easy to find/push, and the remote isn't bulky so it's easy to handle. The curse is that it's pretty limited. It operates the receiver well, although some things like changing the sound modes are more difficult than I think they should be. The killer for me is that it can't operate any other equipment. My past three A/V receivers, stretching back to 1997, have all had remotes that could operate other gear to some extent (two had learning remotes, and the latest has a preprogrammed universal remote). Given how inexpensive it is to include that ability, I'm surprised that Denon didn't. The remote even has the buttons that you'd need for common equipment - you just can't use them. It's annoying to me to have to reach for another remote just to change channels on my TV when the Denon remote has buttons for changing channels, and another remote for my blu-ray player when the Denon has all of the buttons already there. I figure that if the receiver is marketed as the audio/video hub for all of your gear, then it should have a remote that can operate the most common features of common equipment like TVs, disc players, and cable boxes.

Build Quality: 5 Stars
I've upped this one star from the E400. My E400 had a creak whenever I put light pressure on the center front plastic panel, but this thing is rock solid. The speaker binding posts are pretty blah, but they work well and you'll almost never see them. The rest is put together really quite nicely.

Packing: 4.5 Stars
Alright, I'm mentioning this only because I was so blown away by the packing for the E400 that I wanted to comment on this one, too. I know that you won't be packing and unpacking this often, but I want to give Denon credit for a top notch job of packing this thing. It stood out to me as being nicely thought out. Inside, everything is logically placed and secured. I LOVE that they went with foam end caps around the receiver that have top/bottom pieces so that you can lift out the top two end pieces, exposing the receiver that you can then lift out and off the bottom end pieces without any end caps still on it. So, you can sit the receiver down without having to pull the foam end caps off in mid-air as you juggle and balance it. Sounds minor, but it might not seem that way when your trying to maneuver your brand-new 24-pound receiver out of the box. Some receivers (like many that I've used in the past) have one-piece end caps that are more difficult to remove when unpacking. I'm a little disappointed that Denon went back to a plain brown cardboard box with black lettering, versus the box of the E400 that was glossy with nice photos on it. There was a "wow" factor to opening up the Amazon box and seeing that, one that just wasn't there with this one.

Overall: 3.5 Stars
There is a lot to love about this receiver, but there are some things that make it not optimal for me. I can certainly live without (but miss) DSD decoding, and I can put up with (but dislike) the remote. However, the inability to store multiple configurations for Audyssey in my living room is too big of a drawback for me and why I gravitate to Pioneer's MCACC system. Those of you who don't care about DSD over HDMI, don't need a universal remote, and that sit in one location wouldn't have any of those complaints and might just love this receiver. This is a very good receiver with some nice features, plenty of power, and an outstanding GUI. If you have any questions, please feel free to leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can. Thanks.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Another great review Adam! Nice work man. Good to see you have moved away from faucets and vacuums for a while.:eek::p

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I finally finished the video part of the review. Would one of the mods please replace the following line in my initial post with the embedded video code? Thanks!

(I'm currently working on a video and will ask a mod to add it here when I'm done.)

Last edited by a moderator:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Auto Calibration: 3 Stars (might be 5 stars for you, though)
Auto calibration is a wonderful thing, and if you've never used it, I think that you'll love it. Audyssey seems to work pretty well and sounds good in the location where I set up the mic and ran the calibration. My biggest complaint is that it cannot store multiple configurations. In my room, I have two main seating locations - one is centrally located relative to the speakers, while the other is off to the side. The relative distances between the speakers and those two locations (and hence the optimal timing and volume levels for each speaker) are significantly different. MCACC (at least the Advanced version on my Pioneer and the VSX-1124) can store up to six configurations, so I can have one for the central location and another one for the side location. Audyssey, at least on this receiver, can't do that. I can place the mic in both locations during setup, but it still sets the timing based on the first mic location.
First of all, nice review, as always. :D

I don't think the timing (milliseconds) between 2 positions 6 feet apart is going to be significant at all. :D

Trim levels may be 0.5dB to 1.0dB different depending on distance. But how far are we talking about here? How big is the room? :D

My center position is about 6ft from the left and right. I always lie on the lounge chair on the right side of the room. But I never noticed anything significant.

But anyway, you can set up different trim levels and store them with the Quick Select buttons. Just change the name of some unused sources like Sat or TV or DVR or VCR, etc., to Position#1, Position#2, etc. Then save the different trim levels into Position#1 & #2. After you push the Quick Select button, use the source knob to manually select your source. The trim/speaker channel levels will still be what you saved into those positions #1 or #2 or #3 or #4.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks!

I don't think the timing (milliseconds) between 2 positions 6 feet apart is going to be significant at all. :D
With the grin...are you being serious? If so, then you might not think it is, but I know it is. :) It's incredibly important when it comes to centering the sound stage. My goodness, man, why would you set up your speaker distances at all if being six feet (at least) off didn't matter? ;)

One of my seating positions is mostly centered relative to the speakers. Another one is off to the side, and it's much closer to the right front area. So, the difference in timing makes a dramatic difference in how things sound. If I'm off to the side and use the configuration for the central location, I can tell that the audio is centered away from me. If I use the configuration that I saved for that side location, everything becomes centered - and it's much better.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks!
With the grin...are you being serious? If so, then you might not think it is, but I know it is. :) It's incredibly important when it comes to centering the sound stage. My goodness, man, why would you set up your speaker distances at all if being six feet (at least) off didn't matter? ;)

One of my seating positions is mostly centered relative to the speakers. Another one is off to the side, and it's much closer to the right front area. So, the difference in timing makes a dramatic difference in how things sound. If I'm off to the side and use the configuration for the central location, I can tell that the audio is centered away from me. If I use the configuration that I saved for that side location, everything becomes centered - and it's much better.
Well, duh, of course I'm serious. :mad:

We really need a serious face emoticon. :D

Anyway, as usual, it just probably varies from case to case or room to room. In my rooms, I've not experienced any significant differences among the seating positions.

The only time I've ever experienced a difference was a long time ago when I only had one subwoofer. Audyssey (like all room correction) can only do so much. But since multiple subwoofers, I have never noticed any significant differences.

So your case may be a weird isolated one. I have not heard many Audyssey users complain of having significant differences in soundstage, imaging, or SQ in general among the seating positions. I will bring this up in the Room Correction thread that PENG started. :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
We really need a serious face emoticon. :D
Perhaps the lack of a grin? :p

So your case may be a weird isolated one. I have not heard many Audyssey users complain of having significant differences in soundstage, imaging, or SQ in general among the seating positions.
I don't think it's weird or isolated. Maybe people haven't noticed because they are so used to receivers that only center the image in one location - seriously. I didn't think much of it until I got my first Pioneer and ran the calibration at multiple locations, and then it was like, "wow, that sounds soooo much better."

I admit that I find it odd that you think it's weird that a human can tell the difference in timing between two points six feet away. We are actually quite good at locating the direction of sounds, and that's because we can tell those differences. For example, if there's a bird singing in a tree, you should be able to close your eyes and darn near pinpoint where to look. Well, if I'm weird in that ability, I think that I can start making some money... :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For example, if there's a bird singing in a tree, you should be able to close your eyes and darn near pinpoint where to look.
I don't think any present AVR or speaker is going to be able to pinpoint the location. It's pretty good and close enough, but not exactly pinpoint.

Dolby ATMOS may get closer to real life pinpoint accuracy. Closer. Maybe. With 64 speakers.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. I'm talking about being able to tell the difference between centering your speaker distances at one location versus another. Run Audyssey with the mic on the side of your room and then listen at your regular spot. If you can't tell a difference, then you can save yourself a lot of money on speakers and electronics. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. I'm talking about being able to tell the difference between centering your speaker distances at one location versus another. Run Audyssey with the mic on the side of your room and then listen at your regular spot. If you can't tell a difference, then you can save yourself a lot of money on speakers and electronics. :)
When I run Audyssey, I use 8 different seating positions.

Thousands of people use Audyssey and they can't tell any problems with the other seating positions. This is the first time I've heard anyone having this issue with Audyssey.

I don't hear any issues or distractions from one seat to another 12ft apart.

But that is just me. I am wondering if anyone else noticed the same issue you noticed.

IMAX theaters use Audyssey. I wonder if anyone noticed anything also.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thousands of people use Audyssey and they can't tell any problems with the other seating positions. This is the first time I've heard anyone having this issue with Audyssey.
Thousands of people listen to TV speakers and can't tell any problems, too, but I prefer my external speakers and amplification. Some of us discussed this last year when I reviewed four different receivers with Audyssey...way to keep up. :p J/K. :D

I still can't believe that you, of all people with your fancy electronics and high-end speakers, find speaker timing to be of so little importance. When you listen in stereo, do you just leave the speaker distances at their default and place the speakers at different and random distances from your listening position? I'm guessing the answer is, "no."

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thousands of people listen to TV speakers and can't tell any problems, too, but I prefer my external speakers and amplification. Some of us discussed this last year when I reviewed four different receivers with Audyssey...way to keep up. :p J/K. :D

I still can't believe that you, of all people with your fancy electronics and high-end speakers, find speaker timing to be of so little importance. When you listen in stereo, do you just leave the speaker distances at their default and place the speakers at different and random distances from your listening position? I'm guessing the answer is, "no."
Yeah, I level match all the speakers from the center position. So the trim levels will be a little off probably by 0.5dB to 1.0dB depending on rooms and positions. But overall, I see no issues when I sit on the far left or right side of the room. It still sounds great and does not distract me. It seems to be a non-issue for most Audyssey users.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I level match all the speakers from my main listening position (far right side of the room). So the trim levels will be a little off probably by 0.5dB to 1.0dB depending on rooms and positions. But overall, I see no issues when I sit on the far left side of the room. It still sounds great and does not distract me. It seems to be a non-issue for most Audyssey users.
Now that's totally different! I'm not talking about trim levels. I'm talking about timing. I do find the trim levels to matter to me, but one of my listening positions is significantly closer to one of the speakers. Timing, however, is what I've been talking about all along.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis