Really Boring Stuff Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, if we're into classics Alex
Actually I'm more into cheap ... practically free really and evidently I'm also right into inoperative. The SX-1010 still won't put sound through either headphone output (that's right I have 2 non functioning headphone outputs) with an input from auxiliary. The good thing is that at the local electronics parts shop I met an old timer who has a repair shop not far from here. $30 get's me an estimate. Maybe he'll let me watch.

I would hum it out the window but I got $25 worth of spray alone in it. :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Alex, I can see you about a year from now. Alone, living on the streets, fighting other people to keep them away from your "precious," which is always one more tweak away from working. "It's almost there...almost there...."

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I did that on module #6. I probably tightened it about one full turn of the nut and hooked it back up. Still hummed. So, I tightened it a bit more. Maybe another couple of turns. I still have yet to try it again, but I'll do that real soon after I wake up a bit more and feed the pooch (already took her for a walk). With two modules out, I can now get access to the bolt and nut while it's powered by putting the noisy amp in slot number 7. If it still hums, I'm going to try loosening it up a bunch. Mine were more than hand tightened, I think (but my hands are weak, so I'm a poor judge).
Hi Adam, the old mechanics trick that Alex mentioned is a good way to find the exact source of the hum.
Use a wooden dowel or something non-conductive.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Warlord
Alex, I can see you about a year from now. Alone, living on the streets, fighting other people to keep them away from your "precious," which is always one more tweak away from working. "It's almost there...almost there...."
I thought this was Alex at present time :rolleyes:

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Rick's last 6 or so posts in a row have been right here in the boring thread ladies and gentlemen. It may be too soon to call but we may have a convert. Just a few more and we may have him weened off of the political threads altogether.
Politics and women are really the only areas I know a just a very little bit about.:D

Rick,

Are you any good with the inner workings of old rec'rs and such? I could be doing this through PM but wtf? I'm already here. Have you seen my thread in DIY about the H/K? There's another one also. A Pioneer SX-1010.
I doubt if I'd be as big a help as TLS. I'd only get us both in trouble.:)

I do have an old Pioneer SX-580 that I got from a yard sale a few years ago. I use it when I'm out working in the garage.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I also wanted to suggest that you remove the most quiet module so that you can maybe see where the buzz comes from in a good old fashioned knuckle rap comparison test.
Hi Adam, the old mechanics trick that Alex mentioned is a good way to find the exact source of the hum.
Use a wooden dowel or something non-conductive.
Okay, I'm not quite sure what this means. The hum/buzz seems to be coming from the transformer coils. Do you suggest that I rap on the individual modules once I remove them, or rap on the chassis with the louder modules still in there? Thanks.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Warlord
Politics and women are really the only areas I know a just a very little bit about.:D

I doubt if I'd be as big a help as TLS. I'd only get us both in trouble.:)

I do have an old Pioneer SX-580 that I got from a yard sale a few years ago. I use it when I'm out working in the garage.
Is it really possible Rick, didn't know.....
How is it possible to know anythong about women :confused:

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Okay, I'm not quite sure what this means. The hum/buzz seems to be coming from the transformer coils. Do you suggest that I rap on the individual modules once I remove them, or rap on the chassis with the louder modules still in there? Thanks.
I was hoping it would be something simple, like the large plastic gasket missing, or just being very loose.

I like your idea of testing the noisy module while having an open bay on each side, so that you could press on, or just tighten down the transformer.

I'd try that before the rapping on the chassis.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Is it really possible Rick, didn't know.....
How is it possible to know anythong about women :confused:
Harald, Harald, Harald, just imagine yourself without any balls ...
... kind of like the way I am when my g/f picks her purse up and walks out the door

Rick,

The thong is not a bad look for me in my de-testiculated state.
All except for that one dark patch on the string. Ewww ...

Adam,

I meant to put like #1 and #4 or #6 on the table and start tapping on them to see where the rattlers rattle as compared to a quiet #1. The dowel or pipe trick would be used with the modules plugged in and humming away. Then place one end of the dowel (5/8" or so) on a spot on a module suspected of humming. Place your ear on the other end of the dowel. It's like holding a glass to a wall to hear a conversation in the next room.

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I was hoping it would be something simple, like the large plastic gasket missing, or just being very loose.
It hadn't occurred to me to look for missing pieces when I took the modules out. They all looked to be intact when I inspected them in the chassis, but I can take a closer look now. Thanks!

I noticed something else about five minutes ago. When it was all intact and the humming bothered me, it seemed to come from the back left corner (near where the power cord attaches). Lonnie said that there was a "keep alive" transformer that might be humming in standby mode. After taking it apart, I noticed that all of the transformers hum in standby, and there isn't really anything in that back corner that is humming. However, when I connect the amp module that is on the left side, it does excite something in that back corner that doesn't hum if the other modules are powered. Me thinks that I might be able to quiet this puppy down enough to use it. If I can get five channels out of it and have it be quiet, then I'll take my RPA-1 out of the loop. No need to have 140 pounds of amps in a stand if I don't need to. :)

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Rick,
The thong is not a bad look for me.
Consider yourself fortunate, not many people can pull that look off as well as you do.
I'll leave it to Adam to ask about what colors you have...for your sake, lets just hope they match the flip-flops.:D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'll leave it to Adam to ask about what colors you have...
Don't need to ask. Thanks to the bandwidth in his area, I can afford the luxury of a color video feed.

I'm a little hurt that he isn't wearing that sweet little chartreuse number that I got him, but I admit that it's a little much for a Sunday.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Warlord
Harald, Harald, Harald, just imagine yourself without any balls ...
... kind of like the way I am when my g/f picks her purse up and walks out the door

Rick,

The thong is not a bad look for me in my de-testiculated state.

Adam,

I meant to put like #1 and #4 or #6 on the table and start tapping on them to see where the rattlers rattle as compared to a quiet #1. The dowel or pipe trick would be used with the modules plugged in and humming away. Then place one end of the dowel (5/8" or so) on a spot on a module suspected of humming. Place your ear on the other end of the dowel. It's like holding a glass to a wall to hear a conversation in the next room.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis