Really Boring Stuff Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
The one in the middle and the one that is second from the right.
Maybe if you changed the oil in your car once in a while ... :D

I don't know, I gotta hit the sack. I'm glad you're finally getting this done.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Boy, take a couple days off and you miss a lot of goings on around here.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Warlord
I put on a pot of coffee this morning, but forgot to put the pot in the coffe machine....

So there was a flood of water (or rather say coffee) and the main fuse triggered, probably because of a short circuit in the coffe machine.... :eek:

Trying again now :eek:

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Boy, take a couple days off and you miss a lot of goings on around here.
Finally, one of my countrymen and a voice of reason. Where have you been?
Let me guess: curling in Sudbury ... you animal. :cool:

My g/f goofs on the way I type. I have to point my pinkies up so they don't drag on the keyboard because of the angle. It would work better for me if I could pound out messages with clenched fists. She's going to Myrtle Beach for a week. I haven't been left unsupervised for a number of years.

I used up my RS version of fader lube on my SX-1010 and am going to burn up the remainder of my deoxit on it. That's $25 worth of spray on a $20 rec'r that didn't work. I did a couple of other things and may do a couple more. That way if it does fire up I will have no idea what was wrong with it. Smart, huh?

Let's play a game, who does this pic put you in mind of?

... and this one?

Oh yeah, Adam, that nut may have loctite on it which you should probably reapply. I also wanted to suggest that you remove the most quiet module so that you can maybe see where the buzz comes from in a good old fashioned knuckle rap comparison test. Which module have you already yanked.

Let's number the modules left to right, 1-7. So 4 and 6 were noisy, right?

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I think you should have identified the hummers by listening with a piece of conduit or a mechanics stethoscope. A torque wrench would be nice to see where you're at but loosening it an 1/8 of a turn and then re-tightening may give you a 'feel' for how tight it is and how far you are comfortable going past that ... all by feel.
Sorry I missed this Adam,:( we went to go to a BBQ at a friends house, I've known him since high school.

That is a great idea Alex!

Adam, now that you've narrowed it down to the noisy modules, I'd just tighten them slightly, to see if the noise stops.

EDIT: I just pulled out one of my modules from an MPS-1, it's a 14mm nut and bolt with one flat washer, a lock washer, and a plastic gasket. As far as torque goes, it's only snug.
I only have a ft-lbs torque wrench, and that bolt is too loose to even register. It's just barely hand tight, hope that helps a little.
It has no Loctite.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
it's a 14mm nut and bolt with one flat washer, a lock washer, and a plastic gasket.
9/16" and 14mm are interchangeable and the lock washer business tells me that you only need to tighten it enough to compress the washer. Then just a little more. That is according to my mechanics teacher back in high school. I wish I had paid more attention in his class too.

I would still add a drop ...
... well maybe I wouldn't but I think you should as your time means nothing to me. :D
I know it means a trip to the store etc. :(

I love taking sh!t apart. About 6 months ago my microwave quit working. I had that thing spread out every where. I think it was the connection to the key pad that just needed to be wiggled and jiggled. That may be all that your Emo needs too but while it's apart you may as go whole hog and get the cute little Deoxit thing from RS. That's another one of my fetishes, lotions and potions. Personally I won't buy anything unless it is responsible for rodent cancer in California.

Hey Jamie, you see any rodents out there? :)
No? ... I knew it.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I agree with Dave...walk away from AH for a day and I've got a hour of reading to do...

Alex, Love the pics of Haraldino and Adam!:D

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
9/16" and 14mm are interchangeable and the lock washer business tells me that you only need to tighten it enough to compress the washer. Then just a little more. That is according to my mechanics teacher back in high school. I wish I had paid more attention in his class too.
All the parts must be manufactured in China, the nut and bolt sizes are sloppy.
Neither the 14mm or the 9/16" wrenches fit as they should. No worries though, in this situation so little torque is needed anyway.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Rick's last 6 or so posts in a row have been right here in the boring thread ladies and gentlemen. It may be too soon to call but we may have a convert. Just a few more and we may have him weened off of the political threads altogether.

Rick,

Are you any good with the inner workings of old rec'rs and such? I could be doing this through PM but wtf? I'm already here. Have you seen my thread in DIY about the H/K? There's another one also. A Pioneer SX-1010.
This one:

How cool is that? :cool: :rolleyes:

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
My g/f goofs on the way I type.
Yeah, I'm sure it's your "typing" that she makes fun of. :D

Let's number the modules left to right, 1-7. So 4 and 6 were noisy, right?
Correct. I've pulled amps 6 and 7 so far.

Sorry I missed this Adam,:( we went to go to a BBQ at a friends house, I've known him since high school.
Okay, I'll let it slide this time. :) I hope that you had a great time!

...I'd just tighten them slightly, to see if the noise stops.
I did that on module #6. I probably tightened it about one full turn of the nut and hooked it back up. Still hummed. So, I tightened it a bit more. Maybe another couple of turns. I still have yet to try it again, but I'll do that real soon after I wake up a bit more and feed the pooch (already took her for a walk). With two modules out, I can now get access to the bolt and nut while it's powered by putting the noisy amp in slot number 7. If it still hums, I'm going to try loosening it up a bunch. Mine were more than hand tightened, I think (but my hands are weak, so I'm a poor judge).

All the parts must be manufactured in China, the nut and bolt sizes are sloppy.
Neither the 14mm or the 9/16" wrenches fit as they should.
9/16" worked like a charm on mine. It might have been more loose than normal, but I didn't notice.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Warlord
Harald is now "undercover." Enjoy the seedy underworld, my friend.
Have to go undercover now, I'm sure you understand why :D

Well, if we're into classics Alex, this is classic, once claimed to be the best sounding amplifier in the world.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis