Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Hmm Apple wanna make cool watches but IMHO they are not even closely matching a Swiss made Jaeger LeCoultre Master Gold Watch ...... I inherited this from my late father :cool:
He received this as a gift from the shipping company he worked for when he was with them for 25 years!

It is from 1973 and no audio equipment will even get close to how I appreciate this watch :cool:

Price? ... I guess priceless, these guys make Rolex look like a cheap brand :eek:
i guess at leat $30.000+ now ..... :rolleyes: but it will never go for sale, even for a million dollars :D

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
There is a new Apple watch with slightly larger display, and it is rounded at the edges and it is insanely something like 0.2 inches thinner than previous generation, wow.... we got to run to get this....
It's still a watch you must charge every day, so not for me. I don't need it to tell me I got mail or something when my iPhone is just beside me.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Hmm Apple wanna make cool watches but IMHO they are not even closely matching a Swiss made Jaeger LeCoultre Master Gold Watch ...... I inherited this from my late father :cool:
He received this as a gift from the shipping company he worked for when he was with them for 25 years!

It is from 1973 and no audio equipment will even get close to how I appreciate this watch :cool:

Price? ... I guess priceless, these guys make Rolex look like a cheap brand :eek:
i guess at leat $30.000+ now ..... :rolleyes: but it will never go for sale, even for a million dollars :D

Nice watch!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

a Very nice watch and of course priceless memorabilia for you, but I wanted to buy a similar one, it would be not quite 30k.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
sorry guys about his large rant

wow I am stunned by Apple event today.....

There is a new Apple watch with slightly larger display, and it is rounded at the edges and it is insanely something like 0.2 inches thinner than previous generation, wow.... we got to run to get this....

And the insane innovation of the iPhone 16, which has Apple AI that can tell you when you need to eat and when it is a good time to have a beer, how could we manage without it.

And even now the $1800 iPhone 16 pro max has a 48 megapixel camera that almost matches the 50 megapixel camera in $450 "Nothingphone 1" that I bought 2 years ago. The $450 camera of the nothingphone IMHO betters the camera of the iPhone at 1/3 the price of the iPhone ..... Yes I also got an iPhone 15 but my preference is always Nothingphone ....

So how doApple justtify a substandard camera in a $1800 phone that almost matches what is in a $450 phone...... wonder about those margins Apple o_O

wow Apple, weay to go to rip off the market o_O

IMHO, the best phone ever, on the market.... Nothingphone is the coolest product I ever seen :cool:

One more thing.... Apple does not even realize how to manage silent mode.... with Nothingphone it is simple, you put the phone with the glass down. and it is silent, glass up and it will be not silent..... with iPhone there is a button that I always forget to turn back, so my wife get annoyed when I don´t her calls. Sorry Apple .... you guys can´t even manage to get the simple things right :mad:

how stupid is this to still have a physical button for silent mode?
Or is this different with iPhone 16, guess not?

Apple, you lost me now
So, comparing cameras by megapixels count? What next - comparing amps by PMPO-rated power?
In DXO Mark Nothing phone 1 (2 isn't camera rated yet) released in 2022 is in 115th place, while iPhone 14 Pro Max (I have this one btw) also released in 2022 is in the 20th place. The newer iPhone 15 Pro Max is in 7th place, but I expect the 16th iteration will be rated even higher.

Apple devices are ALWAYS a minor improvements year to year. For me personally the Airpods 2 Pro with hearing assist may be the most important product release.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
So, comparing cameras by megapixels count? What next - comparing amps by PMPO-rated power?
In DXO Mark Nothing phone 1 (2 isn't camera rated yet) released in 2022 is in 115th place, while iPhone 14 Pro Max (I have this one btw) also released in 2022 is in the 20th place. The newer iPhone 15 Pro Max is in 7th place, but I expect the 16th iteration will be rated even higher.
From what I remember from digital photography class, MP count is an almost useless metric, basically to inform you(the user) the power of the zoom(mostly related to cropping. Almost like subwoofer power ratings. The size of the sensor is probably more important.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
From what I remember from digital photography class, MP count is an almost useless metric, basically to inform you(the user) the power of the zoom(mostly related to cropping. Almost like subwoofer power ratings. The size of the sensor is probably more important.
I don't use it often, but my ancient digital DSLR - Nikon D80 with 10 megapixels will capture better-looking photos with the right lens.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
a Very nice watch and of course priceless memorabilia for you, but I wanted to buy a similar one, it would be not quite 30k.
ha ha, yes ..... 30K with my pink sunglasses :D

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan

Apple devices are ALWAYS a minor improvements year to year. For me personally the Airpods 2 Pro with hearing assist may be the most important product release.
What I really don’t like with the iPhone camera is the extensive non-defeatable DSP they apply to everything. In so many cases it looks just wrong!

But with this “AI” release I’m sure it will look even worse.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
But of course .....I also do have an Olympus E-620, way better optics than any phone by orders of magnitude
so also your Nikon
A fairly modern iPhone in very good light can take very good pictures unless that effing DSP does not mess that up. When it's getting a little dark, say inside a building, a modern DSLR with a good lens wins hands down.

But there are caveats, like early DSLR, that are not that good actually.

I've two DSLR: My oldest is the Nikon D70s released in 2005. It sucks by today's standard and no lens can fix that, but I did take a number of photos that I still cherish. The other DSLR is a Fujifilm X-T2 released in 2016 that is way, way better even with the standard zoom lens (that is good, actually). Later on I got a very good zoom lens for use, hold my beer, with my X-T2 as a video camera in work meetings! That worked very, very well! Very fast zoom, excellent low light performance, great image quality!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
A fairly modern iPhone in very good light can take very good pictures unless that effing DSP does not mess that up. When it's getting a little dark, say inside a building, a modern DSLR with a good lens wins hands down.

But there are caveats, like early DSLR, that are not that good actually.

I've two DSLR: My oldest is the Nikon D70s released in 2005. It sucks by today's standard and no lens can fix that, but I did take a number of photos that I still cherish. The other DSLR is a Fujifilm X-T2 released in 2016 that is way, way better even with the standard zoom lens (that is good, actually). Later on I got a very good zoom lens for use, hold my beer, with my X-T2 as a video camera in work meetings! That worked very, very well! Very fast zoom, excellent low light performance, great image quality!
D70 doesn't suck that badly, especially in low light, but yeah Modern phones can produce amazing shots
Shot on D70:

VS shot on iPhone 15 Pro:

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

Neat ranking site. I hadn't ever seen that. I'm sitting at #10 with my Pixel 8 Pro. One of the only reasons I bought it is for the camera and call screening features.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I did this with an Olympus E-620, with any kind of phone.... I reckon, no chance....
(some reflections in the lens though)

Last edited:
haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Not useless I would say but the size of the sensor is way more important as I understand. It is why I think that a digital SLR will generally "kill" a phone because of the physical properties of the phones, the sensor size must be very very very small.... you can get high resolution photos with the phone but optics is complete crap in any phone, compared to a Nikon, Canon, Olympus SLR.

And there is much less light entering the sensor in a phone due to the small size of the sensor. There is no way around it because of the physical properties of a phone ...... It is how I understand things!

I am a very big fan of Olympus SLR cameras.... there is a balance, they are smaller physically than many of the Nikon and Canon cameras, and so there is a compromise with sensor size.... so the larger Nikon is better and more expensive but the Olympus cameras are very practical, good size, and very user friendly :cool:

I don´t have the pro lenses, they are way expensive, but those cameras with pro lenses..... I wanna upgrade to that latest Olympus OM-1 mkii model..... around $2700.... Insane camera!!!!!!
(still only 20 megapixel sensor)

I reckon about the same price as an upscale iPhone pro max. There is no question in my mind what is the best investment :cool:

I could wish for Hasselblad, but they are $60.000+ and lenses from $5.000 o_O
(100 megapixel)

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis