STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I'm good... All is the same... boring.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Alright, maybe I'll just go help Alex with the porch then...
Somebody that has built a porch should definitely be in attendance.

I heard that plastic decking stuff gets hot in the summer. This building supply guy told me he went with Mahogany for basically 50% more money but it's beautiful, forever an I guess still cool to walk on even in direct sunlight. Since it's not my money, I insist on nothing but the best.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Somebody that has built a porch should definitely be in attendance.

I heard that plastic decking stuff gets hot in the summer. This building supply guy told me he went with Mahogany for basically 50% more money but it's beautiful, forever an I guess still cool to walk on even in direct sunlight. Since it's not my money, I insist on nothing but the best.
Good thing I'll be there!

My dad has the fake wood plastic stuff that costs like $40 per plank. It's held up far better than I thought it would (as in, still looks new), but I'd still rather just re-stain every so often. I don't even use pressure treated for the decking, I just buy 2x6's and stain all sides - 5 years, no issues! More money for sound!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Tl;dr the internet/smartphones has/have killed conversation

A couple weeks ago some students at my school illustrated, in my opinion, one of the most dissappointing things about the current generation. Now this isn’t something negative about them, but simply one aspect of the world they’re growing up in. A few students were involved in furious debate and for a few days at that. This is a rare occurance, especially at the middle school level because they were making reasoned arguments, actually debating and making good counter points. Now the topic at hand might seem nonsensical, but it could easily be used in a real class or debate club. The question was “Is water wet?”.

Now to the dissappointing part. After a couple days of hearing this on and off another student who was not part of their debate googled it, found an answer and thus ended the debate and for a split second, before the gloating began, you could see that both sides had that look in their eye like something was taken from them. This is a pure example of life before smart phones, the internet and google. Talking to other people and thinking deeply about something. Learning how to talk to and interact with others. Being passionate about something you believe to be true. Watching them debate and make the conscious choice not to simply look up the answer was fascinating. So of course having watched them do that, I started them off on another nonsencial debate and played devils advocate long enough for it to take hold.

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall

A couple weeks ago some students at my school illustrated, in my opinion, one of the most dissappointing things about the current generation. Now this isn’t something negative about them, but simply one aspect of the world they’re growing up in. A few students were involved in furious debate and for a few days at that. This is a rare occurance, especially at the middle school level because they were making reasoned arguments, actually debating and making good counter points. Now the topic at hand might seem nonsensical, but it could easily be used in a real class or debate club. The question was “Is water wet?”.

Now to the dissappointing part. After a couple days of hearing this on and off another student who was not part of their debate googled it, found an answer and thus ended the debate and for a split second, before the gloating began, you could see that both sides had that look in their eye like something was taken from them. This is a pure example of life before smart phones, the internet and google. Talking to other people and thinking deeply about something. Learning how to talk to and interact with others. Being passionate about something you believe to be true. Watching them debate and make the conscious choice not to simply look up the answer was fascinating. So of course having watched them do that, I started them off on another nonsencial debate and played devils advocate long enough for it to take hold.
TL;dr in fact the first TL;dr line was TL so dr. Sorry. ;)

P.S. Do you still have that projector?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

Did they define which state of the water in question? I would say that ice isn't wet but in liquid or gaseous form, it could be argued that it is. How did they define 'wet'?

WRT opinions about the kids of today, my friend was listening to music as he did some paperwork and his 15 year old daughter would occasionally come into the basement where his system lives and listen for awhile, then go about whatever she was doing. There's no problem hearing his system throughout the house, and this repeated several times- she would go down there, listen and leave. At one point, she asked if that music was representative of the music of that time and he replied that it is. As she walked upstairs, she said "Achh, my generation sucks!".

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Did hey define which state of the water in question? I would say that ice isn't wet but in liquid or gaseous form, it could be argued that it is. How did they define 'wet'?

WRT opinions about the kids of today, my friend was listening to music as he did some paperwork and his 15 year old daughter would occasionally come into the basement where his system lives and listen for awhile, then go about whatever she was doing. There's no problem hearing his system throughout the house, and this repeated several times- she would go down there, listen and leave. At one point, she asked if that music was representative of the music of that time and he replied that it is. As she walked upstairs, she said "Achh, my generation sucks!".
Let's be honest, every generation sucks in one way or another. It's just WAY more obvious with hers because of technology. Gone are the days of parents telling their kids to be home by 9 having no clue or way to find out what their kid is doing and where they're doing it.

That was one thing I found funny when watching Stranger Things. The parents had no clue what was going on...then I realized mine didn't either...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis