Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Decide whether to build house. Get talked into building house. Get rushed into building house by prefab dealer/parents (prefab dealer is their friend). Compromise on several aspects of house. Get volun-told that I'm doing a ton of the work myself. End up having to do this work in sub zero temperatures. Struggle to finish work, while working full time. No permanent CO. Three months over the "typical" timeframe for a house this size. Typical time frame from the house being dropped to it being completed by professionals is 3 weeks. No mortgage yet due to multiple issues with construction loan to the point where construction loan is no longer possible and we have to switch to mortgage, but can't get mortgage until permanent CO is issued. Throw in the compromises that are going to come back to bite me in the rear end when I ever get around to finishing the basement and when does being a homeowner start paying off?
I'd only add that it pays off when no one is asking you for money for your dwelling, monthly. Property taxes pay for schools and if anything, I feel I need to start paying more!

Don't get bogged down in the BS! Stay objective and YOUR hard work will pay you back over the lifetime of the house!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Decide whether to build house. Get talked into building house. Get rushed into building house by prefab dealer/parents (prefab dealer is their friend). Compromise on several aspects of house. Get volun-told that I'm doing a ton of the work myself. End up having to do this work in sub zero temperatures. Struggle to finish work, while working full time. No permanent CO. Three months over the "typical" timeframe for a house this size. Typical time frame from the house being dropped to it being completed by professionals is 3 weeks. No mortgage yet due to multiple issues with construction loan to the point where construction loan is no longer possible and we have to switch to mortgage, but can't get mortgage until permanent CO is issued. Throw in the compromises that are going to come back to bite me in the rear end when I ever get around to finishing the basement and when does being a homeowner start paying off?
It can pay off in experience of what not to do. Then if property values in your area go up, sell for a profit. That's about it. Oh, and credit score. That's good too...I guess.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'd only add that it pays off when no one is asking you for money for your dwelling, monthly. Property taxes pay for schools and if anything, I feel I need to start paying more!

Don't get bogged down in the BS! Stay objective and YOUR hard work will pay you back over the lifetime of the house!
Yea we shall see. I'm sure I'll feel better about when the front porch, back deck, and basement are finished. Oh and the garage. Plus I need grass lol.

They're definitely getting plenty of property and school taxes, that's for sure. Turns out I could have a similarly valued house out in Cape Cod and pay about half the property and school taxes :rolleyes:

It can pay off in experience of what not to do. Then if property values in your area go up, sell for a profit. That's about it. Oh, and credit score. That's good too...I guess.
Well I'll have to pray for urban sprawl. Ah, who knows. Maybe I'll just move to another plot across the street. Because I could teacher a master class on what not to do when building right now :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Dude, I'm right here! I'm starting a new job today but I'll let you know when I'm out again. Freakin' Swamp Yankees trying to do construction ... good one! :D
LOL. I'm good at following directions and I'm definitely better at indoor construction than outdoor, that's for sure. Hey, if you're free this summer I've got a massive front porch I could use a hand with..............:D:D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yea we shall see. I'm sure I'll feel better about when the front porch, back deck, and basement are finished. Oh and the garage. Plus I need grass lol.

They're definitely getting plenty of property and school taxes, that's for sure. Turns out I could have a similarly valued house out in Cape Cod and pay about half the property and school taxes :rolleyes:

Well I'll have to pray for urban sprawl. Ah, who knows. Maybe I'll just move to another plot across the street. Because I could teacher a master class on what not to do when building right now :D
Trust me, I understand. Granted I wanted to do some work on my house and my builder wouldn't let me. They'd rather I pay someone to do it poorly so I can re-do the work. Makes perfect sense.

I'm almost 2 years in my house and I'm still finding stuff I have to fix.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
LOL. I'm good at following directions and I'm definitely better at indoor construction than outdoor, that's for sure. Hey, if you're free this summer I've got a massive front porch I could use a hand with..............:D:D
I'm not that kind of carpenter.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
D Throw in the compromises that are going to come back to bite me in the rear end when I ever get around to finishing the basement and when does being a homeowner start paying off?
If you plan it right, you will die about a day after you pay it of and your kids will have a free house. You will never see it pay off for you...:eek:

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
If you plan it right, you will die about a day after you pay it of and your kids will have a free house. You will never see it pay off for you...:eek:
I actually remember sitting in the faculty room when this married couple (both science teachers) were calculating some of their finances. They had two kids and they figured out that they would pay off their mortgage and student loans the year before they would start paying for college for their kids. The depression was very evident on their faces. :D

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I actually remember sitting in the faculty room when this married couple (both science teachers) were calculating some of their finances. They had two kids and they figured out that they would pay off their mortgage and student loans the year before they would start paying for college for their kids. The depression was very evident on their faces. :D
Yep, life is not set up to win....

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
So I've had two Cinepro Amps kinda crap out on me. One was due to age and a loose part shorting out something and frying a board. The other was part age, part stupidity on my part. I was testing a sub driver out with one of the channels and smoked one of the boards in a different Cinepro Amplifier. I believe the main breaker (inside the amp) was supposed to pop but at least the backup protection circuit worked and the sub was saved.

On the bright side, I just won an auction for a pretty sweet new amp. Another one of Bob's creations and a precursor to his new-ish AB Cinema series amplifiers. Many of the features in this amp are present in his Cinema series amps/final iteration of the Cinepro amps, plus had been sent back to him for full cap replacement about two years ago. So hopefully it ships soon and I can see what it looks like.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
So I've had two Cinepro Amps kinda crap out on me. One was due to age and a loose part shorting out something and frying a board. The other was part age, part stupidity on my part. I was testing a sub driver out with one of the channels and smoked one of the boards in a different Cinepro Amplifier. I believe the main breaker (inside the amp) was supposed to pop but at least the backup protection circuit worked and the sub was saved.

On the bright side, I just won an auction for a pretty sweet new amp. Another one of Bob's creations and a precursor to his new-ish AB Cinema series amplifiers. Many of the features in this amp are present in his Cinema series amps/final iteration of the Cinepro amps, plus had been sent back to him for full cap replacement about two years ago. So hopefully it ships soon and I can see what it looks like.
How heavy and how hot is the Carver? The Carver amp Walter gave me was cool running but became 'noisy' after a few years. I wouldn't even know where to send it for service but I don't need it so ... *shrug*. Why not hone in on those pro amps with the fans that never turn on?

I just ran through my options for musical chairs with amps and speaker placement. Leaving well enough alone won by unanimous decision. I was at real risk of re-doing everything. Phew ... that was a close one.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
How heavy and how hot is the Carver? The Carver amp Walter gave me was cool running but became 'noisy' after a few years. I wouldn't even know where to send it for service but I don't need it so ... *shrug*. Why not hone in on those pro amps with the fans that never turn on?

I just ran through my options for musical chairs with amps and speaker placement. Leaving well enough alone won by unanimous decision. I was at real risk of re-doing everything. Phew ... that was a close one.
The Cinepro was heavy as hell and the one replacing itis equally as heavy. With the way I run, they never get too hot, but they have silent fans on them as well.

Funny you should mention pro amps because I was just thinking about my old Crown XLS Drivecore amp. Lightweight, pretty much silent, sounded great, and I’m strongly considering going that route for the HT in the basement someday. However, this amp the I just bought was recently serviced and ended up $300+ less than 3 new Crown’s of equivalent power and channels plus 2 less power cords which would have required another circuit over there.

I just bought that Outlaw Amp to cover the overhead channels in the HT room, but this works out well because now I can play musical chairs with amps and I’ve freed up a 2 channel amp to head to the basement so I can have sound down there.

The pro amps are compelling though and I may move that way for the basement HT. Especially since by the time I get to finish the basement I won’t be able to lift these heavyt amps anymore

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
STRUBIE DOOBIE DOO!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
That's me!

How are things?

I just started a new CI company. I figured I better start crawling around here again, maybe to break me back into the internets and so I can maybe, actually probably not, start doing the Facebook and twitter thing for marketing reasons...who am I kidding? Maybe Audioholics forums are as far as I go toward social networking.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
That's me!

How are things?

I just started a new CI company. I figured I better start crawling around here again, maybe to break me back into the internets and so I can maybe, actually probably not, start doing the Facebook and twitter thing for marketing reasons...who am I kidding? Maybe Audioholics forums are as far as I go toward social networking.
I'm still alive and kicking. I've actually had a very productive week.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis