Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
In other news, I'm halfway to being first aid/CPR/AED certified again. Just gotta go to the in person portion tomorrow and I'm ready to shock the sh!t out of you old farts when your ticker gives way. :D

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Hey you smart, handy types, help me figure something out. When I get my income tax refund, I think I want to add a pivot door onto my insert shower.

My question is, should I plan to install the door on the fiberglass insert part or on the drywall part? Trying to figure out whether I'm shopping for a 38" or a 41".

All the pictures of shower doors on Amazon show them installed on beautifully tiled custom showers -- never on shitty builder-installed shower inserts. So I'm not sure what's normal. I'm not about to renovate the entire shower, though. I just want a door and no more curtain.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Installing a door on the drywall would allow water to run down the door to the outside of the shower so I say install the door on the fiberglass part and if you swing the door on the right side you should be able to hit some studs with long enough screws. Technically that door would be a right hand reverse door ... aka a left hand door to the plebs.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Installing a door on the drywall would allow water to run down the door to the outside of the shower so I say install the door on the fiberglass part and if you swing the door on the right side you should be able to hit some studs with long enough screws. Technically that door would be a right hand reverse door ... aka a left hand door to the plebs.
Re: drywall mount point, I'd figured if I use a framed door rather than frameless I could inconspicuously seal the frame against the shower. After shopping for a bit, though, it seems the trend these days is all frameless. So that's a good argument for mounting to the fiberglass.

I hadn't considered studs before, so I'm glad you brought that up. I just used a stud finder, and there is a stud behind the left side (the nozzle side), behind the fiberglass where a door would go. So the hinges will go on the left. Opening that way will make for a more comfortable entrance into and egress from the shower anyway.

Now I need to find a 38" x <66", preferably in brushed nickel to match the rest of the hardware in the bathroom. It seems another standard these days is a height of 72", but my shower stall measures 65.5 inches from step-over lip to top. If I can't find one, I might have to revert to a sliding door option.

Last edited:
rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Order placed:

FWIW, Wayfair has excellent customer service. I ordered through Walmart.com where the item was "sold and shipped by Wayfair". Bit by bit as the confirmation emails arrived, my order morphed from a nickel-toned frameless 39" door into a bronze-toned framed 36" door. I called Wayfair who cancelled my order, then price-matched the correct door. It should arrive in around a week. :) It's really nice when a company empowers their customer service staff to make things right. Wayfair++!

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Order placed:

FWIW, Wayfair has excellent customer service. I ordered through Walmart.com where the item was "sold and shipped by Wayfair". Bit by bit as the confirmation emails arrived, my order morphed from a nickel-toned frameless 39" door into a bronze-toned framed 36" door. I called Wayfair who cancelled my order, then price-matched the correct door. It should arrive in around a week. :) It's really nice when a company empowers their customer service staff to make things right. Wayfair++!
That seems way cheaper then the $40k I just handed my wife for ours.....

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
That seems way cheaper then the $40k I just handed my wife for ours.....
Tell you what, when I receive my shower door I'll sell it to you for $10k. You'll save 30 grand. :)

... and holy crap! I just clicked the Wayfair link in my previous comment, and the price of that door has gone up over $100 since I ordered this morning. I got it for $599.99. Now I feel like I really got a bargain.

Last edited:
MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
I'm going to two grocery stores this morning, Whole Foods and then Publix.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Tell you what, when I receive my shower door I'll sell it to you for $10k. You'll save 30 grand. :)

... and holy crap! I just clicked the Wayfair link in my previous comment, and the price of that door has gone up over $100 since I ordered this morning. I got it for $599.99. Now I feel like I really got a bargain.
Deal if you take my wife......

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
The girl griped about the general appearance of our hallway carpeting. I spot cleaned, vacuumed, did a quick and easy paint touch up with a 9" roller (same color) and threw some hardware at the shoe shelf on the side table out there ... all the while running laundry up and down the stairs. I need a wife.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I feel as though I'm more excited than I should be for new towels and a memory foam bathmat.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I feel as though I'm more excited than I should be for new towels and a memory foam bathmat.
The bathmat is a mistake. Bath rugs are the way to go. Bed Bath and Beyond.

No, my account didn't get hacked by an interior decorator.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis