Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Being in a small classroom with upwards of 30 kids in some classes means that there is almost never a point when my ass isn't directly touching or being pointed at a student. Although I do make a concerted effort to make sure it ain't the front rubbing up against anybody. I do still need this job. :D

In other news, I just re-watched Jurassic World. As much as I enjoyed the new Star Wars, and I liked it a lot, I feel that Jurassic World struck a better balance between original nostalgia and new plot lines. I need to see the new Star Wars again for more of a fair comparison, but every time I watch Jurassic World I appreciate it a bit more.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Glad I'm not the only one. In years of working with Japanese, Chinese, Mexicans, Hungarians, Scottish and English, the Brits were consistently the hardest for me to understand... especially the Scottish. Funny, since they say Southern is akin to their dialects.
Have you heard of the Scottish martial art? It's called "feck yu".

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Just started backing up my BD library. Don't have enough storage to keep the full size files so I'm experimenting with handbrake. Right now I'm trying CQ 18 and seeing what that'll look like and how big the file will be. This should only take about 2 months to get all these added. :eek:

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Just started backing up my BD library. Don't have enough storage to keep the full size files so I'm experimenting with handbrake. Right now I'm trying CQ 18 and seeing what that'll look like and how big the file will be. This should only take about 2 months to get all these added. :eek:
There was a thread on this a while back. I forget the settings recommended by others, but I think it was 20-ish.

Are you using MakeMKV?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
There was a thread on this a while back. I forget the settings recommended by others, but I think it was 20-ish.

Are you using MakeMKV?
I found a pretty good webpage/blog/whatever it was that gave a really thorough description of the basics. He recommended about the same thing, 18-22 or something like that for BD. The other cool thing was he made videos that showed side by sides with the original vs different CQ settings. For the clip he showed 20 looked the closest to me but with the big screen I wanted to err on the side of caution.

Yes, makemkv and handbrake. I may dig out my external BD drive and see if I can start ripping two at once

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I just checked out one of the files that went through handbrake and I forgot that handbrake autocrops the black bars out. This is f word awesome.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Can you please share this resource?
https://mattgadient.com/2013/06/12/a-best-settings-guide-for-handbrake-0-9-9/

The only think not in there is about the audio track. I believe handbrake automatically adds two tracks, both are of the english track one, but it adds a dolby pl II X or something and an AC3 passthru. I delete the dolby and just least the passthrough.

I ended up forgetting a setting on the first go round, where I left the preset cranked up by accident. I took a closer look at one of the other videos that got done wayyy too fast and didn't like the quality so I adjusted the settings and ended up with 8 hours a movie so I decided to fiddle with the settings a little. I settled on a preset of medium and a CQ of 16. It knocked off 2 hours, so we'll see how that balances out with quality vs file size vs encode time

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Fuzz, how much more storage would you need to have to go through the time of Handbraking the files?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
The entire internet gets max boredom points now that Handbrake and other sh!t I don't get is being discussed.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Fuzz, how much more storage would you need to have to go through the time of Handbraking the files?
To skip handbraking you mean? I actually probably have somewhere around the exact amount I'd need +- a movie or two, but that would fill the two hard drives I have set aside for movies and music.

Thanks! I skimmed the writeup and a lot went over my head. That's a really good read. Will spend a lot more time on it after a nap.
Changed the settings again, lowered the CQ to 16, but sped up preset to medium. File sizes are between 10-13GB, which is down from 40+GB/movie. Quality looks good flipping back and forth between 30 second clips of the same movie.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
To skip handbraking you mean?
Yeah. Sorry...I forgot to type the "not" in that sentence.

EDIT: I just noticed another post from this morning where I forgot to type "not." Geesh. Note to self - coffee first, posting second.

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I decided to order a Merkur double-edged safety razor. I don't know if I'll use it more than once, but I figure that the $22 is worth satisfying my curiosity. I've thought about getting a razor like that for a while. Honestly, the Gillette Fusion razor that I use works really well, but dang those cartridges are expensive.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I have over four pounds of York Peppermint Patties being delivered this week. Just in time for Valentine's Day if I can find myself a lady who likes a good dose of nausea. Yeah, I'm talking about the patties and me.

On another totally unrelated note - over $1B for the Powerball?!? Holy ish, that's a lot of money. I bought my first ticket in years on Saturday, and I really think that I deserve to get some sort of pay out for not getting one...single...number. Hey, if kids get participation trophies, I want something, too.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I decided to order a Merkur double-edged safety razor. I don't know if I'll use it more than once, but I figure that the $22 is worth satisfying my curiosity. I've thought about getting a razor like that for a while. Honestly, the Gillette Fusion razor that I use works really well, but dang those cartridges are expensive.
I've always wanted to try a safety razor or a straight razor, but............well...........I don't really grown enough facial hair to justify buying one or the other.

I have over four pounds of York Peppermint Patties being delivered this week. Just in time for Valentine's Day if I can find myself a lady who likes a good dose of nausea. Yeah, I'm talking about the patties and me.
I had 4 lbs of jolly ranchers delivered like 2 weeks ago. Bulk ordering on Amazon is awesome. I hear there are some good inflatable ladies on Amazon. They don't get nauseaous no matter what or how much you stick in their mouths. Doug told me.

On another totally unrelated note - over $1B for the Powerball?!? Holy ish, that's a lot of money. I bought my first ticket in years on Saturday, and I really think that I deserve to get some sort of pay out for not getting one...single...number. Hey, if kids get participation trophies, I want something, too.
Looks like it's time to dig up $2 again and see if I can beat those 1:292,201,338.00 odds.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Last week I considered trying a safety razor, but decided not to go that route. I also considered an electric. But...

I switched from the Fusions to Dorco about a year or two ago(?).
The Dorco blades don't seem to be as sharp since the redesign, so I ordered a 'starter' kit from Harry's.
Harry's starter kit is $3.00 and includes; blade plus handle, 3 extra blades, and foaming gel.

https://www.harrys.com/trial?h_type=secondary_hero_click&h_name=shave_plan_still

Good luck with the new razor.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Straight edge, buy once cry once, shave like a man :) Dovo 5/8" round, with a strop, some porasso menthol cream, and a badger hair brush only cost about $300 and you will never need another cartridge... I have had the same strop for 5 years, badger burshes are good for a decade, and the razor should be good for ever, I shave every other day, I have 3 razors, so when 2 are dull I send them 2 to get honed, that costs about $10 each, and I would say 1 razor lasts almost 2 years with out honing...

Men shave dangerously...lol.. I only cut myself once, granted I need 40 stitches, NO SA, lol, jk, when I first started I put a 2" long stop under my chin, it didnt even bleed, but was about as close as humanly possible to bleeding without. Never again, not even a nik, once you get it you got it... You will thank me, if you do it, its so fast, clean, and perfect, plus your face feels SMOOOVER....

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Straight edge, buy once cry once, shave like a man :) Dovo 5/8" round, with a strop, some porasso menthol cream, and a badger hair brush only cost about $300 and you will never need another cartridge... I have had the same strop for 5 years, badger burshes are good for a decade, and the razor should be good for ever, I shave every other day, I have 3 razors, so when 2 are dull I send them 2 to get honed, that costs about $10 each, and I would say 1 razor lasts almost 2 years with out honing...

Men shave dangerously...lol.. I only cut myself once, granted I need 40 stitches, NO SA, lol, jk, when I first started I put a 2" long stop under my chin, it didnt even bleed, but was about as close as humanly possible to bleeding without. Never again, not even a nik, once you get it you got it... You will thank me, if you do it, its so fast, clean, and perfect, plus your face feels SMOOOVER....
I would cut my shins and knees.....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis