Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I ended up ordering two jump starter kits - one for me, and one for my buddy who took time out of his life to help me out yesterday. I asked the parts guy at the Ford dealer what they recommend, and their service department uses (and the part guy owns) the JNC660. It was about the same price as the one that Irv suggested, and I got to see this one in person, so I went ahead and got it. I like that it will show me it's charge status.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Did you get it from Tool topia? I knew the owner when they were first starting out, has really good prices and ships fast...

I have 2 jump n carries too{the same company makes them both}, I have the 24/12volt at my shop and a 660 {its a few years old, works good..} A few reasons I like the booster pak a little better for keeping in the car, 1 it has a 12volt charger so no 120v circuitry inside it {they tend to last longer, no charger to break}, 2 its smaller, 3 the covered terminals on the clamps, I never know when I am going to have a piece of metal shorting them out, 4 my jnc would die when not used for a long period of time, the tool man {my tool truck guy} told me its because of the gauge and monitor in the unit, they are always using energy, where the solar will only show you charge and how much voltage it has if you push the button, otherwise there is zero load on the battery...

The JNC units are also awesome and well worth the price that tool topia sells them for.. Also I am not sure if they come with it new, since mine was used but you may need a cord for the jnc, I used to use an extension cord but the I bought an actual cord for it because the shortest cord I had was 25ft and it was a pita... So either way you can't go wrong, Solar chargers and jumpers are awesome, I have an older solar charger that was like $950 when I bought it and it still works awesome 10 years later...

PS-good for you for buying your buddy one too, very cool...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
PS-good for you for buying your buddy one too, very cool...
Thanks, man. It just seemed like the right thing to do. I thanked him in words quite a bit, but in addition to driving over to give me a jump start and sticking around for a while, he was willing to drive me to get a jump starter or even follow me somewhere to make sure that I made it - that's going above and beyond, IMO.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Went to the Building Museum today in DC, where my son got to be a small part of a study conducted by G.W. University. While it didn't go the way the students hoped, they learned a valuable lesson, namely, how not to coax a 3 year old to build a tower out of legos.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I ended up ordering two jump starter kits - one for me, and one for my buddy who took time out of his life to help me out yesterday.
That's class act there buddy. I have two instances that really stick out in my mind on people whom did something for me when they didn't need to.

One was "our" Alex who bought me a nice bottle of Scotch just for taking him to a good place to buy an oven for his Sis.

Second was a guy whom I "sponsored" when he was trying to quit dipping. By chance he ended up living just 45 miles from us. All I did was Text or called him to check on him frequently and gave him access to contact me anytime he was in trouble. He sent us a nice Christmas package plus it turned out he was a pilot and we can now get free airfare from SW anytime we want plus he has his own plane and he will fly us around just for short trips or just for kicks.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
That's class act there buddy. I have two instances that really stick out in my mind on people whom did something for me when they didn't need to.

One was "our" Alex who bought me a nice bottle of Scotch just for taking him to a good place to buy an oven for his Sis.

Second was a guy whom I "sponsored" when he was trying to quit dipping. By chance he ended up living just 45 miles from us. All I did was Text or called him to check on him frequently and gave him access to contact me anytime he was in trouble. He sent us a nice Christmas package plus it turned out he was a pilot and we can now get free airfare from SW anytime we want plus he has his own plane and he will fly us around just for short trips or just for kicks.
That does show a good man, I agree...
heres a long story for you...
Back when we were building, I built a house for a nice young-ish couple, they were looking to buy a house already built but their wants and budget were no where near each other, like 90% of buyers... So I met them when they looked at one of my model homes and they loved it, but they were only preapp'd for $499K, they could get a little higher but they would have had to cash in 401K's and sell half of their belongings, which their realtor was trying to talk them into...
So they were in love with my model home, which was $650K way out of their range... Anyone that has ever looked at a development knows that you treat the model home like an office, so in one bedroom I had a table with chairs and blueprints, drafting table, ect... I pulled up to the model one sunday afternoon to meet a real estate agent, and that couple was sitting in the back yard of at a picnic table we set up, eating lunch lol, So I seen the car and seen them back there. They were apologising and embarrassed, and I was like "feel free to eat lunch here when ever you want, I am not selling this house until all the others are built", I had my meeting, and was about to leave and they were still there..

I went back to tell them I was leaving and for them to have a nice afternoon, thats when they told me they were trying to get money together to have me build the identical house as my model, it was perfect, even the colors, and the floors {in my model homes I would do all different floors in each room, so buyers could see the difference between hand scraped black walnut for $48 a sq ft and high gloss washed maple for $9... It sometimes turned people off because you normally do all the same floors through a house...} They even loved that part of the house, and your least valuable lot is normally the first corner lot on the traffic direction side, so you build your model there, since you are normally lucky to break even with it....

ANYWAY I asked them to come in and said I would look over their financial situation... I went through it with them for an hour, and they could not afford a $500K {which they were approved for} never mind any more than that... They were young and kind of confused, the realtors, bankers, builders, ect all told them they could afford it, no surprise there, but the truth of the matter was they could NOT... After I wrote it all down and showed them on paper, they understood it... They could afford around $380K and still live...

So, I took them for a ride, we went and looked at a model home a friend of mine built and sold to his sister but got back about 8 months later. It was not on the market yet, and he offered it to me at a steal... I took them there and they were familiar with the development, I had the code so wen tin and showed them around... They loved it but figured now they couldn't afford it.. I explained the entire situation, and said he offered it to me for $400K even, which is still over what you should spend but a heck of a deal {at the time, now its worth about what they paid maybe a little less, still not bad considering}, so to wrap this story up, I called my buddy and made the deal at $390K for them, he held the mortgage for a few months so they could get out of the deal with their agent {who was a bitch and I normally wouldn't have done something like that, but I don't like her at all, she used to leave coffee cups all over my properties and she lied to all her clients, and then I as the seller would look like a douche}.

So they were so happy that I did that for them from our conversations they new a frequented a certain local restaurant happened to be related to the owner of, they gave me a "free dinner for 2 for life" gift certificate, lol Now I am not sure if it cost them anything but when ever we go there I eat for free {I always end up leaving a really good tip because I feel funny just paying for drinks}... It may have been one of the coolest gifts I ever got...

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Thank you yugnat. My first disagree. That is where my comments shall end :D

It still baffles me that disagree is a green positive.

Last edited:
haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Warlord
Some historical (and hysterical) examples of innovations:

RAIL
  • What can be more palpably absurd than [the idea] of locomotives traveling twice as fast as stagecoaches?
    ~ Quarterly Review, 1825
  • …that any general systems of conveying passengers would answer, to go at a velocity exceeding 10 miles an hour, or thereabouts, is extremely improbable.
    ~ Thomas Tredgold, 1835
  • Rail travel at high speed is not possible because passengers, unable to breathe, would die of asphyxia.
    ~ Dr. Dionysius Lardner, Irish scientific writer, 1845

TELEPHONE
  • Well-informed people know it is impossible to transmit the voice over wires as may be done with dots and dashes and signals of the Morse code, and that were it possible to do so, the thing would be of no practical value.
    ~ Editorial in the Boston Post, 1865
  • It’s only a toy.
    ~ Gardiner Greene Hubbard, future father-in-law of Alexander Graham Bell, on seeing Bell’s telephone, 1876
  • Although it is…an interesting novelty, the telephone has no commercial application.
    ~ J. P. Morgan, to Alexander Graham Bell

AIRPLANES
  • Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible.
    ~ Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895
  • Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value.
    ~ Marechal Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy, Ecole Superieure de Guerre , France , 1911

RADIO
  • Radio has no future.
    ~ Lord Kelvin, British mathematician and physicist, 1897
  • The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?
    ~ associates of RCA chairman David Sarnoff, in response to his suggestion that the corporation invest in radio technology, circa 1920

MOVIES
  • I have determined that there is no market for talking pictures.
    ~ Thomas A. Edison, 1926
  • Who the hell wants to hear actors talk?
    ~ Harry Warner of Warner Brothers movie studio, when asked about sound in films, 1927

TELEVISION
  • While theoretically and technically television may be feasible, commercially and financially, I consider it an impossibility, a development of which we need waste little time dreaming.
    ~ Lee De Forest, inventor, 1926
  • TV won’t last because people will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night.
    ~ Darryl Zanuck, 20th Century Fox movie studio head, 1946

XEROX
  • I don’t know what use any one could find for a machine that would make copies of documents. It certainly couldn’t be a feasible business by itself.
    ~ the head of IBM, refusing to back the idea, forcing the inventor to found Xerox

There are some ideas so wrong that only a very intelligent person could believe in them.
~ George Orwell

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I saw the ad for the Seaton Submersive so I thought I would go over the Seaton website and take a look see at their offerings. I feel like that message of "we're working on our website" has been up for over a year.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I saw the ad for the Seaton Submersive so I thought I would go over the Seaton website and take a look see at their offerings. I feel like that message of "we're working on our website" has been up for over a year.
I remember when they had a timer counting down on the main page that eventually got to 0 and then nothing...and then they did it again...iirc, it happened a third time as well. I'm not holding my breath for a website or for Mark to send the SubM to Josh for testing.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I did too. I need to forget that ... only because I need a place to sleep tonight.
Nah, you definitely need a bada$$ sub to add...........somewhere.

I remember when they had a timer counting down on the main page that eventually got to 0 and then nothing...and then they did it again...iirc, it happened a third time as well. I'm not holding my breath for a website or for Mark to send the SubM to Josh for testing.
Oh well, not like I was in the market for such a thing anyways :D In any case, I think I'm done with subs for a good long while.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I think I'm done with subs for a good long while.
Lie to yourself if you must. We understand.

My two cheapies have a 50Hz bloat according to Rives Test Disc so when I got speakers that could go below 80 Hz I crossed everything at 60Hz. I figure it lets the subs take over where they are most capable. I maintain the ability to easily switch off the subs by having them plugged into a switched outlet.

I tried out the SC1 and while it's better bass, there is only 1. I'm thinking the SC1 and some recently displaced P150's or maybe some OWS-1 would make a nice bedroom system. I thought about gifting them but speakers make bad gifts for people who are too cheap to buy speaker wire. We all know they're out there.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis