Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
It's hard for me to wrap my head around a lot of the theories in the field of astrophysics. Quite a lot of it simply isn't intuitive and makes little sense as compared with our day to day experiences. Trying to ask what happened before the Big Bang/what caused the Big Bang is one such instance. The most basic accepted answer (last I checked at least; there are of course numerous theories abound) is, there was no "time" before the Big Bang, and therefore no cause. This of course is a completely alien concept: everything in this world has a cause. If an apple falls off a tree, we understand that the force of gravity exceeded the strength of the stem to keep the apple aloft. Fun stuff to say the least.

Still, there are more accessible subjects. I've spent countless hours trying to educate myself in the sciences behind audio reproduction. I do actually enjoy reading about economics (certainly a subject I enjoyed in school) as well as law (loads of fascinating cases to read about). All of these IMO beat killing brain cells watching shows like Jersey Shore.
That's one thing I always appreciated about Einstein. He had these little mind experiments in which he described complex theories in, more or less, layman's terms using real(ish) world examples.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I just don't feel like reading an economics book. :D
I enjoy it: at a most basic level, economics is the study of the human psyche.

Consider the case of a recession (hard to imagine, I know), and imagine that all the media outlets are hammering in the case that we're in dire straits, etc. Everybody is busy tightening their belts, and what happens? The economy tanks further.

OTOH, if the media outlets say: things are getting better!!! Well, maybe instead of stuffing his money under the mattress, Joe Six pack decides his job isn't at eminent risk of termination and buys a new TV, car, whatever... Demand for goods goes up, and we need more people to produce them. Economy improves. Yay!

Obviously things are a bit more complicated than this simple example, but that's a fine showcase of the paradox of thrift in action.

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
It's hard for me to wrap my head around a lot of the theories in the field of astrophysics. Quite a lot of it simply isn't intuitive and makes little sense as compared with our day to day experiences. Trying to ask what happened before the Big Bang/what caused the Big Bang is one such instance. The most basic accepted answer (last I checked at least; there are of course numerous theories abound) is, there was no "time" before the Big Bang, and therefore no cause.
The theory I like the most that explains this would be that the universe goes through phases of expansion and contraction. When the universe starts contracting, it goes into the big crunch. When the universe is "crunched" to a certain point, it than explodes into another big bang. So the universe didn't start from nothing, it always exists in one form or another.

But... I just read that there's no sign of the universe contracting and that it is continually expanding.

Back to the drawing board!

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
The theory I like the most that explains this would be that the universe goes through phases of expansion and contraction. When the universe starts contracting, it goes into the big crunch. When the universe is "crunched" to a certain point, it than explodes into another big bang. So the universe didn't start from nothing, it always exists in one form or another.

But... I just read that there's no sign of the universe contracting and that it is continually expanding.

Back to the drawing board!
To borrow some words from Socrates:
"I know one thing, that I know nothing"

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
My phone is finally getting updated to ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) which was promised back in May. At lease we got it so I guess I should not complain too much.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
That's one thing I always appreciated about Einstein. He had these little mind experiments in which he described complex theories in, more or less, layman's terms using real(ish) world examples.
Einstein was a neat fellow (there's an understatement). As your quote notes, he wasn't a fan of needless complexity, yet he helped advance human knowledge considerably in what is most certainly a complicated field. I appreciate his general philosophy on life and the world around us in general.

On a related note: light is some nifty, if not downright magical stuff...relatively speaking anyway :D

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Jersey Shore did give us snookie and of course the all important GTL. Remember GTL to be at your best everyday.

I hate to break it to you Steve81, but I have no desire to read an economics book. I will stick to my own guilty pleasure in life. Hey if it wasn't entertaining to folks it wouldn't sell. Aren't you the least bit interested? Come on Steve give in. :p

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I just now got my old kitchen sink out. Yikes, that was a pain. The two plastic nuts holding the sink in where sure on there, and ~14 years of gunk didn't make it easier. I used a rubber mallet and screwdriver to get them to finally turn.

After I get the part of the sink that was right underneath it cleaned up, I'll start putting the new faucet and filtration system in.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I just read that there's no sign of the universe contracting and that it is continually expanding.
Not yet, right? I understood it to be like a bounced ball going up. It's only a matter of time before it comes down ... and then bounces back up.

light is some nifty, if not downright magical stuff...relatively speaking anyway :D
Adam had posted a You Tube thing about an experiment/demonstration with light. I think you would like watching it.

Jersey Shore did give us ...
... nothing of value.

However hanging out down there with Rick and Marie is pretty cool.

After I get the part of the sink that was right underneath it cleaned up, I'll start putting the new faucet and filtration system in.
After, after, after ... then, then , then ... what the f^%& is taking so long? :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
After, after, after ... then, then , then ... what the f^%& is taking so long? :D
The m*^*&^ f*$^ing plastic fitting for the water filter, that's what! Oh, man - that sucked. I ended up taking the filter out of the loop because I couldn't stop the leak. I might try again tomorrow night. I probably need more tape on the threads, but that plastic thing is a piece of junk.

Had I not tried the filter, I would have been done well over an hour ago. As it stands, the new faucet is in and working (although I can hopefully route that pull-out strainer better, because it doesn't retract well), and the filter faucet is in place.

5am is going to arrive like a freight train.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Adam had posted a You Tube thing about an experiment/demonstration with light. I think you would like watching it.
Great memory! Here's the link, and below is the video.

Why include the link if I post the video? Because you might want to look at the video one post before it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I got this.

It's rated for 160 gallons probably because of the VOC thing while the non VOC one is rated for more. Anyway I got mine installed without trouble. It was around $160 from HD. It works to remove taste and smell from tap water for way more than 160 gallons. Good luck with yours or this one should switch.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
About to finish "operation dresser", had a bunchload of layers of glossy white acrylic paint and it's getting there..... slowly :p

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Not yet, right? I understood it to be like a bounced ball going up. It's only a matter of time before it comes down ... and then bounces back up.
We don't know, or no-one knows if the universe is going to stop expanding. it depends on the amount of dark matter that we don't know about... so if it stops expanding it's gonna be total chaos, even worse than in Rome (Italy)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis