Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Indeed. Just modeling everything out has provided a lot of perspective as well. I mean, yeah I can toss an 18" driver in a big box and supply it with a boatload of juice, but limiting yourself to a much smaller sized enclosure and getting the output numbers of the SVS & Rythmik without needing more power than is practical is another matter entirely.
Very true, but I've found that the LMS Ultras, even stuffed in about as small of a box as they can possibly fit in, still don't need an excess of power to move plenty of air. Most people have told me that they need 2000 watts to sound their best, but I'm running them with about 400 and maybe 1000 peak and they're awesome. I would say that in certain situations underpowering a sub, as long as the power requirements for your listening levels are met, isn't the worst thing in the world.

No ham, but my preferred one does have bacon. About the only downside is the high sodium content, though I'm testing a few more brands out this weekend.
Ooo bacon. Looks good, but yes I was told to cut back on the sodium as well.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Very true, but I've found that the LMS Ultras, even stuffed in about as small of a box as they can possibly fit in, still don't need an excess of power to move plenty of air. Most people have told me that they need 2000 watts to sound their best, but I'm running them with about 400 and maybe 1000 peak and they're awesome. I would say that in certain situations underpowering a sub, as long as the power requirements for your listening levels are met, isn't the worst thing in the world.
It's not that I'm so much concerned about getting enough output so much as the project being worth it versus the commercial offerings. The driver alone is $433, and with a sensitivity of ~87dB w/ 1w @ 1m, you'd need something like the 2400W Speakerpower amp to match the output of the SB13U up high. I'd consider it since that would yield a bit more low end output than the SVS can manage, but it isn't going to be a cheap endeavor.

Ooo bacon. Looks good, but yes I was told to cut back on the sodium as well.
I actually found the restaurant when I lived in California and I fell in love with the soup. I'd consider eating it every day but for the salt :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
It's not that I'm so much concerned about getting enough output so much as the project being worth it versus the commercial offerings. The driver alone is $433, and with a sensitivity of ~87dB w/ 1w @ 1m, you'd need something like the 2400W Speakerpower amp to match the output of the SB13U up high. I'd consider it since that would yield a bit more low end output than the SVS can manage, but it isn't going to be a cheap endeavor.
Which is a big knock against the TC drivers, high quality they may be. However, if your upper end response needs aren't too great, there are a ton of cheaper drivers out there that can deliver equal output, albeit at most likely higher distortion, for half or less than the cost of some of the TC drivers. With one of those drivers and maybe an XLS2500, it can suddenly be much more affordable to have a high output some and with a miniDSP, full EQ. So for approximately $1500 (depending on finish and drivers), you could have dual small sealed subs, running off of a single XLS2500 and full EQ capabilities with a miniDSP. Not a huge price over the E15 when you consider what you're getting.

I think what really draws me to DIY is that I'm not locked into one thing. I can use the amp, miniDSP, or even the driver for different projects or needs as they arise, however that only applies to an extremely small percentage of buyers :D

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I think what really draws me to DIY is that I'm not locked into one thing. I can use the amp, miniDSP, or even the driver for different projects or needs as they arise, however that only applies to an extremely small percentage of buyers :D
I'm pretty much the anti-DIYer :D Even with my own little pet project, I farmed it out to Dennis. I'd probably bug Nathan Funk if I went custom. Of course, if you've got some driver recommendations, I'm all ears (or eyes as the case may be). :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'm pretty much the anti-DIYer :D Even with my own little pet project, I farmed it out to Dennis. I'd probably bug Nathan Funk if I went custom. Of course, if you've got some driver recommendations, I'm all ears (or eyes as the case may be). :D
I forget names so I'll look when I get home, if I ever get home. Been at work since 6am, doesn't look like I'm getting out until 11-12 tonight. What a Friday :D

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I feel sorry for you guys, sorry for the whole nation !!!!!

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/75383333" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Flip Flops: ON / Pants: DOWN

Rick !!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Haven't really decided yet to be honest. I am leaning towards something compact, ala the Rythmik E15 or SVS SB13U, but a custom build is also on the table (looking at the 15" LMS-R driver among others).

Just calorie/nutrient counting for the most part. There is a lot of pea soup and biking involved thus far though.
I'm all for a DIY build, but there's definitely something to be said for just unboxing it and hooking it up.

Hey, I love pea soup and biking. Sounds like the diet for me :D Wait....does the pea soup have ham in it? If not then I'm out.
What is wrong with you??? Ham:cool: Pea soup:(
It's good and low sodium;

Low Calorie Vegetarian and Vegan Foods - Dr. McDougall's Right Foods - Organic, Gluten Free Lower Sodium Split Pea Soup

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Um, weren't we promised a bird feeder review? I'm two ball boycotting all reviews until the bird feeder review is posted.
Okay, okay...here's the video. :) (I still have to write the review for Amazon, and then it takes about a day for it to post.)

So, will you go check out my faucet review now? :p

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
The Squirrel proofing seems a little silly, especially since they will definitely figure out the dispenser like function of tapping it, but pretty sweet that it holds that much bird seed.

Okay, okay...here's the video. :) (I still have to write the review for Amazon, and then it takes about a day for it to post.)

So, will you go check out my faucet review now? :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis