Really Boring Stuff Only II: Return of the Boredom

Status
Not open for further replies.
GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I decided to save for the 'ultimate' HT or 2 channel system for the basement. The wife is happy with what is upstairs and makes a "You're an idiot" face every time I mention getting new gear.
So, I've started to do the demo in the basement for my system. Removing the drop ceiling tiles, I found some mold and took care of it. Used silicone to seal where there may have been moisture getting. Took out a few more ceiling tiles and saw some odd looking tape around a water line for an outside spigot. I was like a deer in headlights. I knew it was asbestos and I would drop dead of mesothelioma within the next hour or so.

Ran upstairs grabbed the phone called the EPA for my region and they gave me the number for a ;lab in my area. I moistened the tape, cut a sample and took it to the lab last night. They said they would have the results by 9am today.
It's 10:15 and at this point, I would rather smell Alex's fart than wait any longer for the diagnosis...

I know some of you are electricians and carpenters, Huh, Tangled Up in Blue lyrics? I don't how you guys do it. You must come in contact with this stuff and worse everyday.
I wouldn't panic. If it was intact, with no loose fibres, there isn't much of a hazard. In fact if it's sealed up and left undisturbed, I would leave it that way. It's when you have to disturb it, that the hazard is created. Loose fibre insulation - that's another story.:eek: I'd have that remediated.

...makes a "You're an idiot" face every time I mention getting new gear...
She must know my wife.:rolleyes:

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I decided to save for the 'ultimate' HT or 2 channel system for the basement. The wife is happy with what is upstairs and makes a "You're an idiot" face every time I mention getting new gear.
So, I've started to do the demo in the basement for my system. Removing the drop ceiling tiles, I found some mold and took care of it. Used silicone to seal where there may have been moisture getting. Took out a few more ceiling tiles and saw some odd looking tape around a water line for an outside spigot. I was like a deer in headlights. I knew it was asbestos and I would drop dead of mesothelioma within the next hour or so.

Ran upstairs grabbed the phone called the EPA for my region and they gave me the number for a ;lab in my area. I moistened the tape, cut a sample and took it to the lab last night. They said they would have the results by 9am today.
It's 10:15 and at this point, I would rather smell Alex's fart than wait any longer for the diagnosis...

I know some of you are electricians and carpenters, Huh, Tangled Up in Blue lyrics? I don't how you guys do it. You must come in contact with this stuff and worse everyday.
I worked on the Pizzeria Uno in downtown Boston and they just told us that certain pipes were wrapped with asbestos and that we shouldn't be knocking them around. It's only a problem if you disturb it by cutting it. Nice knowin' ya ... :D

I don't care if I die from what somebody says I have to do for money but I don't want to die from something I did to myself so I don't eat at Pizzeria Uno anywhere ever ... and I don't f^%& with the white pipes unless it's for money. Having it abated is more dangerous than leaving it be.

You should probably move the wife and kids out before they fall victim to your meddling. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Hey, should we ask the admin's to send Rescue for him? :D

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan

Good Luck!

Unfortunately, some of the scare tactics the EPA uses is to guarantee them a steady stream of income, and to appear useful and helpful.
An example of that is what they did to the automotive repair shops and the brake industry.
After forcing repair shops to buy thousands of dollars worth of asbestos removal and storage devices, and forcing the brake industry to reformulate their friction material.
Which subsequently raised the price of brake pads and the price of the hourly repair rates for consumers. Only to find out it wasn't harmful when used as brake pad friction material.
It was discovered that asbestos becomes harmless dust during the braking process.
Link to an interesting read: The Asbestos Story The EPA, the US Government and the Media Doesn't Want Told

A personal experience:
My parents have a house that was built in1901. Many years ago my dad and I removed the asbestos insulation from the steam pipes, during a new furnace install.
We simply wore dust masks and are all healthy and living to talk about it.
The trick is to leave it undisturbed and seal it. Or, If you remove it yourself wet it down with water and a pump sprayer (to prohibit dust) and dumped directly into sealed garbage bags.

I understand you want to do what's safest for your family. The bureaucratic wheels are now in motion, and you may wish you could un-ring that bell.:D
If buy chance it is asbestos, the remediation expense may force you to choose between a basement HT or a clean basement.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
a basement HT or a clean basement.
A basement is no place for a HT. It should be the focal point of every home. :rolleyes::p

In all seriousness overreaction is always the way we respond to dangerous chemicals. I remember a fuel additive that was supposedly cancer causing later found to not be being banned.

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
i just saw a video of matt34's infinity subs... i have to go change my pants now.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
I got he report back and it is asbestos. The report was a little hard to read, but from what I could make of it the sample I gave them has 21% asbestos and 79% other fibers. If I'm reading the report right the type of asbestos is white, chrysotile asbestos, which is different than the blue asbestos that is known to be a health risk.

I'm going to talk to the lab Monday to get a better understanding of all that was in the report, then I'll go from there.

Thanks for all the replies.

Good Luck!.
Link to an interesting read: The Asbestos Story The EPA, the US Government and the Media Doesn't Want Told

A personal experience:
My parents have a house that was built in1901. Many years ago my dad and I removed the asbestos insulation from the steam pipes, during a new furnace install.
We simply wore dust masks and are all healthy and living to talk about it.
The trick is to leave it undisturbed and seal it. Or, If you remove it yourself wet it down with water and a pump sprayer (to prohibit dust) and dumped directly into sealed garbage bags.

I understand you want to do what's safest for your family. The bureaucratic wheels are now in motion, and you may wish you could un-ring that bell.:D
If buy chance it is asbestos, the remediation expense may force you to choose between a basement HT or a clean basement.
Rick, thanks for posting this link. The article helped me to stay calm was very informative.

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
never EVER date a passive-agressive, tri-polar model with depression issues and a personality disorder. they will make you lose all trust for anyone of the male gender, give you haunting nightmares and when you finaly give up on them and block them on facebook they will make other accounts just to try and lure you back. its not fun

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
When i said Rick, thanks for posting this link, I of course meant, Alex, thanks for the informative and calming post.
I didn't really think it was asbestos to begin with and of course took the opportunity to have some fun. Now I feel like I was maybe a tad insensitive to your situation. I'm glad Rick had some real info for you ... even though it was just what I said with wayyyyyy more words. :D

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
That's the only kind that I'd have a chance at. Dang. Now I'm just plain out of luck.
trust me, your better off single.... it will hurt alot less and save you alot of money on therapy...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
trust me, your better off single.... it will hurt alot less and save you alot of money on therapy...
Fair enough. I am jealous, though. I was stalked by a bitter, depressed, aggressive-aggressive, fairly unintelligent, and unattractive woman. I miss her. It was the most attention an unrelated woman had ever given me...

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
Fair enough. I am jealous, though. I was stalked by a bitter, depressed, aggressive-aggressive, fairly unintelligent, and unattractive woman. I miss her. It was the most attention an unrelated woman had ever given me...
one day you will find the right stalker... or she will find you i suppose :p

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
When i said Rick, thanks for posting this link, I of course meant, Alex, thanks for the informative and calming post.
I think what you really meant was: "Rick, thanks for posting this link, Alex, thanks for the informative and calming post, and GO-NAD!, you can pi** off and die because your post was of no help whatsoever, you have a stupid name and I'm not even going to post that, because I'd rather just ignore you."

:D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I think what you really meant was: "Rick, thanks for posting this link, Alex, thanks for the informative and calming post, and GO-NAD!, you can pi** off and die because your post was of no help whatsoever, you have a stupid name and I'm not even going to post that, because I'd rather just ignore you."

:D
Don't you have a system to calibrate? :D :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis