Really Boring Stuff Only II: Return of the Boredom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
The truck was disabled with a blown brake line but the bleeder valve broke trying to open it so it is still closed. I bled it as best I could where the line goes into the wheel cylinder and I did that solo so there is for sure air in there. No matter, at least the system is sealed and I have a decent pedal so it's not disabled any longer ... but it wants more work.

I'll take it down to Eddie's, crank the heat and get to work. I'm incredibly slow at that kind of work but that's because I'm not on the clock. I let my ADD rule. It just occurred to me that I have a couple of different screw extractor kits and a cordless right angle drill and I might be able to get a couple of bleeder valves at the parts store or for sure at the junk yard. I am so glad you said something and made me think of this.

You guys from Nova Scotia are alright. :)
I think you just saved me some money too ... if it works. ;)

Oh ... and BTW ... stand on your brake pedal to force a blow out ... you know ... if you want to sort of make it explode in the next weakest place at a time of your choosing.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
The truck was disabled with a blown brake line but the bleeder valve broke trying to open it so it is still closed. I bled it as best I could where the line goes into the wheel cylinder and I did that solo so there is for sure air in there. No matter, at least the system is sealed and I have a decent pedal so it's not disabled any longer ... but it wants more work.

I'll take it down to Eddie's, crank the heat and get to work. I'm incredibly slow at that kind of work but that's because I'm not on the clock. I let my ADD rule. It just occurred to me that I have a couple of different screw extractor kits and a cordless right angle drill and I might be able to get a couple of bleeder valves at the parts store or for sure at the junk yard. I am so glad you said something and made me think of this.

You guys from Nova Scotia are alright. :)
I think you just saved me some money too ... if it works. ;)

Oh ... and BTW ... stand on your brake pedal to force a blow out ... you know ... if you want to sort of make it explode in the next weakest place at a time of your choosing.
I'm not sure I said anything that'll save you any money:confused:, but good luck with it nevertheless. If you're going to heat it up, don't forget to have a bleed path for the fluid - otherwise, you may find out where the next weakest point is. :eek:

I've been fortunate with my brake line blowouts - they all happened when I was already stopped, or going slowly - not while braking for a pedestrian.:eek:
(I don't jump on the binders for any animals - I'm not going into the rhubarb for any lower life forms, unless it's a moose or deer:eek:)

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan

Alex, if getting that broken bleeder out doesn't work, you can buy a new fully assembled wheel cylinder for under $20.
I wouldn't heat it, you will melt the inner seals and it won't get hot enough filled with brake fluid. Try some liquid wrench overnight and your EZ-out that you've mentioned.
Good luck with your project.
Ah, the memories of working on a car out in the freezing cold.:D

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Alex, if getting that broken bleeder out doesn't work, you can buy a new fully assembled wheel cylinder for under $20.
I wouldn't heat it, you will melt the inner seals and it won't get hot enough filled with brake fluid. Try some liquid wrench overnight and your EZ-out that you've mentioned.
Good luck with your project.
Ah, the memories of working on a car out in the freezing cold.:D
Right on Rick! I forgot about the seals.:eek: Of course, it depends on how close the heat is to any seals. Steel isn't all that conductive, so he may be able to get fairly close if he has to resort to heat. Of course, he'll have to monitor the nearest seal location for heat build-up. But, it is a risky venture, so I would agree with your recommendation of the liquid wrench first.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Of course, he'll have to monitor the nearest seal location for heat build-up.
Hey, good idea but this is gonna be a two man job ... the heating and the monitoring. Maybe you could come down and do the monitoring part. I'll do the heating. We'll do it blindfolded so as not to skew the observations of the observer (you). You just let me know when you think it's hot enough. :D

Seriously, I've carefully heated and liquid wrenched that stuff repeatedly in the process of loosening one bleeder screw and breaking the other. The wheel cylinders are only like $12 each and I have a life time warranty on the ones I have in there. The real issue is that I don't want to do all that work. That would easily take me part of a day to prep for and all of another day to do. Sh!t, I could probably turn this into a week long project if I wanted to turn the drums.

It's funny with these old trucks and rear brakes. The guy I bought my truck from took the bulb out of the dash board trouble indicator rather than fix the brakes so it had none when I got the truck. Even after fixing the brakes it took me a while to break down and finally replace the emergency brake cables to make it all work like it was intended. It's a standard so it's important. A friend of mine bought a similar truck off another friend of mine who was all happy when the State Vehicle Inspector told him that since he couldn't get the drums off to inspect the brakes he was just going to let him slide on that. So it didn't have any rear brakes either. So both of our trucks have been without rear brakes and without emergency brakes. Now both of these trucks have slipped out of gear and rolled down hills from being parked and left in gear. When it happened to my friend I laughed at him because he had been making fun of me for using the E-brake on flat land. He failed to use his on a incredibly minor hill and it very happily rolled to the nearest 4" thick oak tree and completely effed up his bumper. You know how some guys don't like to say 'I told you so'? Well that ain't me. It was even funnier because it had been filmed by a surveillance camera.

I'm going to check the weather site and at least go buy some plugs to get it ready for the heavy duty cold that is no doubt around the corner. That God (or global warming in Davemcc's case) it's not here now. :)

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Hey, good idea but this is gonna be a two man job ... the heating and the monitoring. Maybe you could come down and do the monitoring part. I'll do the heating. We'll do it blindfolded so as not to skew the observations of the observer (you). You just let me know when you think it's hot enough. :D

Seriously, I've carefully heated and liquid wrenched that stuff repeatedly in the process of loosening one bleeder screw and breaking the other. The wheel cylinders are only like $12 each and I have a life time warranty on the ones I have in there. The real issue is that I don't want to do all that work. That would easily take me part of a day to prep for and all of another day to do. Sh!t, I could probably turn this into a week long project if I wanted to turn the drums.

It's funny with these old trucks and rear brakes. The guy I bought my truck from took the bulb out of the dash board trouble indicator rather than fix the brakes so it had none when I got the truck. Even after fixing the brakes it took me a while to break down and finally replace the emergency brake cables to make it all work like it was intended. It's a standard so it's important. A friend of mine bought a similar truck off another friend of mine who was all happy when the State Vehicle Inspector told him that since he couldn't get the drums off to inspect the brakes he was just going to let him slide on that. So it didn't have any rear brakes either. So both of our trucks have been without rear brakes and without emergency brakes. Now both of these trucks have slipped out of gear and rolled down hills from being parked and left in gear. When it happened to my friend I laughed at him because he had been making fun of me for using the E-brake on flat land. He failed to use his on a incredibly minor hill and it very happily rolled to the nearest 4" thick oak tree and completely effed up his bumper. You know how some guys don't like to say 'I told you so'? Well that ain't me. It was even funnier because it had been filmed by a surveillance camera.

I'm going to check the weather site and at least go buy some plugs to get it ready for the heavy duty cold that is no doubt around the corner. That God (or global warming in Davemcc's case) it's not here now. :)
Careful you don't cut yourself on that sharp wit of yours... ;) It's simple - if you can't touch a spot where there is a seal, it's too hot for the seal as well.

All this talk of seals makes me want to go grab a club...but I digress....

I've carefully heated and liquid wrenched that stuff repeatedly in the process of loosening one bleeder screw and breaking the other.
Those two words seem to contradict each other.:D

The real issue is that I don't want to do all that work.
As I said before, I don't do much vehicle maintenance myself anymore. Just don't have the time for it. And if you don't want to, then take it to a garage.;)

I remember the first time I did my own brakes. I needed to replace the shoes and adjusters (seized solid) for the rear drums. To make sure I was putting everything back together correctly, I figured I'd take both drums off and use one side as a guide to ensure the other was correct. I borrowed a floor jack, jacked up the whole rear end and left it on the floor jack, as I didn't have any axle stands. Looking back, it was incredibly stupid, but hey, I was 20 and it was my first vehicle.

As I sat on the ground with my legs extended under the leaf springs, working away, a thought crossed my mind. Hmmm, if that jack collapses, both my legs will be crushed. So, I got up on my knees instead. Not two minutes later - crasho - down comes the truck. It was on grass, so there was no damage. But, I did break out in a cold sweat.:eek: I learned a lot that day...

I've done a lot of my own work since then, but haven't hurt myself - or a vehicle - since. However, 95% of my present DIY projects involve wood, glue, paint and power tools.

mperfct

mperfct

Audioholic Samurai
My right eye looks like a meatball floating in marinara.

I've never had a cold affect my eyes like this. Ever. Now it's twice in the last 6 weeks. At least I feel ok.

Alex, good luck with your brakes. I've decided that working on my car sucks. I used to be a gear head, now I just open my wallet and rejoice in the time I freed up. Guess that makes me a wuss.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan

I've never had a cold affect my eyes like this. Ever. Now it's twice in the last 6 weeks. At least I feel ok.

Alex, good luck with your brakes. I've decided that working on my car sucks. I used to be a gear head, now I just open my wallet and rejoice in the time I freed up. Guess that makes me a wuss.
I'll have to skip the Italian food until I can get that image out of my mind.

majorloser

majorloser

I had $200 in gift certificates to spend at Emotiva, so I just ordered an XPA-5.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
XML Into

For those of you who know XML this should be self explaining

For thos who don't know syntax of XML, I'm sure you can find out

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan

Very sorry to hear about this, hope you get well really soon !

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I just open my wallet and rejoice in the time I freed up.
I open up my wallet and moths fly out. :rolleyes: :D

Not two minutes later - crasho - down comes the truck.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. That's the second time I have ever heard of a jack failing. The other guy wasn't as lucky. It was a very bad week for him. It started off with getting juiced by high voltage at work from touching a ceiling grid that one of the sparkies had accidentally lit up. That blew him off a scaffold. It didn't really hurt him but he got a mandatory paid week off from work ... in which he decided to work on his car. :eek:

Hey, it's right there on page 1 ... life sucks ... and then you die. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis