RCA cable recommendations

Aaron Kwekel

Aaron Kwekel

Audioholic
Hello.
What are some good budget rca cables? Going to be connecting a external amp to my denon 3700h this weekend.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I usually use Monoprice or Mediabridge. Want to get fancier with name brand cable stock and connectors with good construction reputations maybe BlueJeansCable or World's Best Cables (via Amazon, keep in mind WBC is poking fun at audiophile stuff here and there, too). No need to overthink it particularly....will the power amp be fairly close to the avr?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just for fun, some measurements of a silly expensive rca cable and a basic one:

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Highly recommend Worlds Best Cables reasonable price and very good components in there rcas no frills and crazy clams either just well made out of very good cable and RCA’s in about any length you need .

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I actually used to use Bluejeans for my interconnects. The heavy duty connectors, quality cable and are totally worth it. I am all XLR from pre to amp and to the sub now though, so I don't use them currently.

Aaron Kwekel

Aaron Kwekel

Audioholic
I usually use Monoprice or Mediabridge. Want to get fancier with name brand cable stock and connectors with good construction reputations maybe BlueJeansCable or World's Best Cables (via Amazon, keep in mind WBC is poking fun at audiophile stuff here and there, too). No need to overthink it particularly....will the power amp be fairly close to the avr?
Right underneath it.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Older threa, Does anyone have experience with Monolith RCA cables? They are resonably priced. I'm not convinced they are much different than anything else but the connectors are nice.

Do you try to stick with the minimum length possible? My AMP is under my AVR upstairs so 3ft works but if you have to pull out the AMP or the AVR, it might tug the RCAs out and not have enough "Give". That said all that extra cord accumulates back there for 6 footers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've used a few, no issues. I try and have some slack to allow moving things around a bit without disconnecting. Maybe a 4' instead of 6', tho.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Yeah 4ft is probably the sweet spot. They don't have 4ft. Frankly I have RCAs running presently and it works fine. Some are fairly cheap but it's probably one of those things that "if it ain't broke don't touch it". But I pick up some cables when they are on deal here and there and can save them for when I do pull the system out and replace them then I guess.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah 4ft is probably the sweet spot. They don't have 4ft. Frankly I have RCAs running presently and it works fine. Some are fairly cheap but it's probably one of those things that "if it ain't broke don't touch it". But I pick up some cables when they are on deal here and there and can save them for when I do pull the system out and replace them then I guess.
Dang, thought they had more shorter-length choices now that I go looking there. There's this 4' tho

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Thanks, will keep an eye on those. I have had good luck with Mediabridge sub cables, speaker wire, and banana plugs so sure these will do the job just fine.

Funny thing, I bought an amp a few years ago and one of the plusses of it was it came with ~6 blue jeans 3ft RCA cables thrown in. I don't know how but I've had some issues with hum on some of those where other cables have had less. I know those are supposed to be really good and they look really nice but not sure on the ones I got. It's possible it's something else so who knows. I'll keep using them where it makes sense and if I don't get any negative results. But will try a few other options as deals come up.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, will keep an eye on those. I have had good luck with Mediabridge sub cables, speaker wire, and banana plugs so sure these will do the job just fine.

Funny thing, I bought an amp a few years ago and one of the plusses of it was it came with ~6 blue jeans 3ft RCA cables thrown in. I don't know how but I've had some issues with hum on some of those where other cables have had less. I know those are supposed to be really good and they look really nice but not sure on the ones I got. It's possible it's something else so who knows. I'll keep using them where it makes sense and if I don't get any negative results. But will try a few other options as deals come up.
I've generally had no problems with rca cables, except for a Monster sub cable that had the hum. I haven't needed to buy in any in a while, have quite a collection going.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
While shorter RCA cables are better, it's not a big deal. More like, 3 feet is better than 30 feet.
At 30 feet, you need a RCA coax with a very heavy braided shield.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis