RBH SV-61R unpacking and initial impressions

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That's what I wanted to do for this one, but nooooo. She didn't want to wait, and we found an amazing house in an incredibly competitive market.

But yes, my next house will have at least one room built to my specs :cool:
Yeah, when we were living in our previous house, I asked my wife if we could spend some money to add another room to the house to make it my dedicated HT room.

She said "hells no". Next thing you know we're building a custom house "just so I can have my dedicated HT room". :D

All you need to do is keep talking about your "dedicated theater" and next thing you know you're building your first custom house. :D

Everyone deserves to have at least one custom house. :D

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
True, but are definitely more prone to distortion when trying to get similar output
I agree on the fact that they distort quite a bit more than ported subs at high output. However, they won't bottom out because of the back pressure of the compressed air within the box.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I agree on the fact that they distort quite a bit more than ported subs at high output. However, they won't bottom out because of the back pressure of the compressed air within the box.
True, but you still won’t have the same output.
AND, bottoming out modern ported sub from SVS HSU and monolith and Rythmik would take multitudes of volume more than our OP is after. @shadyJ has tried to bottom the monolith line and couldn’t.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That's where multiple subs come in - so you don't require any one sub to output too much and they give you smoother bass throughout the room.
Right, and if I follow correctly, he will buy 2 eventually, and probably now if they’re cheap enough. so my reference is to 4 subwoofers(including his sunfires), which will take a LOT more space and might be its own problem. He’s also not focused on the whole room, only one or two seats. So, a well integrated single could do just as well.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Sealed subs can bottom out just as much as ported subs if there is no filter to protect them. Ported subs -with no electronic protection- are more vulnerable below port tuning frequencies, but the sealed air mass behind the driver of a sealed sub is definitely no guarantee of protection.

sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
Thanks again guys, great info here!

I'm sorry curious to see what the new tech can do in my room. But I'm a realist when my head hurts the pillow at night, and spending $1-3k on new sub/s is going to require it's own budget. (I have c quotes for bathroom and kitchen remodels sitting in my inbox now... None of them include work on the basement

I'm still working on getting the front 3 speakers rounded out (that focal 800cc center has got to go!). And with the sunfires putting in work right now, new sub/s will have to wait until after the 661r's get here.

Then sub/s

Then new display

Then I'll revisit the need for external amplification

The key is this... With all of your help, I am in a MUCH better spot right now than about a month ago!

Thanks again!!!

Oh and for the record, next sub/s will be variable, larger than 12", and have big W's

sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
Or at least, custom built HT/Listening Lab addition...

I'm thinking something like 17'x25'x11'

*starry eyes
...with x7 rbh svtr's for beds, each with their own ati amp, a pre-pro running the show, x4 svs ultra's in the corners, and x4/6
large 8" or greater drivers for the IC's. Of course an attached, dedicated equipment room, climate and humidity controlled, with x4 20A homeruns, and pre-run cabling terminated at wall plates in appropriate locations. Then we can talk about room treatment, and projectors, and screens, and furniture, and lighting, and control, and popcorn...

...lol, just thinking about it increases my amplitude

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
AND, bottoming out modern ported sub from SVS HSU and monolith and Rythmik would take multitudes of volume more than our OP is after. @shadyJ has tried to bottom the monolith line and couldn’t.
It is rather hard to get a ported subwoofer to bottom out when the enclosure is tuned at low frequencies below 20 Hz. The driver won't bottom out unless it is driven at frequencies below the Fb, when it no longer is loaded by the air within the ported box.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Sealed subs can bottom out just as much as ported subs if there is no filter to protect them. Ported subs -with no electronic protection- are more vulnerable below port tuning frequencies, but the sealed air mass behind the driver of a sealed sub is definitely no guarantee of protection.
In my opinion, unless it is badly designed, the sealed sub has to be driven pretty hard to bottom out.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It is rather hard to get a ported subwoofer to bottom out when the enclosure is tuned at low frequencies below 20 Hz. The driver won't bottom out unless it is driven at frequencies below the Fb, when it no longer is loaded by the air within the ported box.
Right. And coupled with the dsp built into the normal subs we recommend, I don’t see why this is an issue. The reason I posted that in the first place was because you mentioned bottoming out.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I'll just add that the 70% guarantee is for five channels only: https://www.marantz.co.uk/uk/support/pages/glossary.aspx
Good find! In any case, except for the all channel stereo mode, the possibility that as much power would be required for 7 channels simultaneously is remote. For example, in an action movie where a noisy object moves from the screen and front speakers area to the back surround speakers area, most of the power required would also switch from the front to the back relieving power demand for the front channels.

sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
Saturday's gonna be an exciting day!

New toys will be showing up.

x2 sv661r
x1 sv661cr

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's kind of running a little slow around AH lately.

So everyone is probably tuning in to your new HT system channel - free live streaming right here on Audioholics. :D

sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
Woohoo!

New toys!

Significant improvement in output!

Just ran a quick Aud cal from the app...impressive results with the bass management and overall integration.

The 661cr blows the old Focal 800cc out of the water. Clarity, balance, no wet blankets.

Now just gotta do some tweaking and save for new subs. The sunfires are holding up very well, but my rew graphs show that they definitely struggle south of 30hz.

All in all, I'm super happy! Such a visceral upgrade.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Congratulations! And nice job figuiring out what to do with that cabinet space! I like how you set everything up!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis