RBH Speakers hit the door step today..

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Question for you all. If and that's a big if....I decide to run the Rythmik sub with these towers, any suggestions on the crossover set up settings on my Parasound P5?
I will be honest. I am playing some Steven Wilson (Raven that refused to sing} right now and the bass is so large in these I could almost benefit from turning it down a touch. I could do this with running the crossover set up on the P5. Never thought I could have this much bass out of a tower. Holy SH$T.:D
Just use the Rythmik with the Ascend monitors.

The SX-6300/R are good all by themselves w/o the subs.

I don't know if I told you this. But there is another guy from AVS who was going to get another speaker I have, but based on my opinion he ordered the SX-8300/R w/o even auditioning. Can you imagine the bass from those towers? :D

I told him that I would trade my speaker (you know) with him in a heartbeat if he doesn't like the SX-8300/R. I know I must be evil, but deep down inside, I hope he wants to trade. I am a bad boy. :D

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
The RBH aren't going anywhere:D... They sound different than anything I have listened too. Just a massive amount of bass and super detailed... So happy they were suggested over the others I was considering.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I wouldn't even really know where to begin. Night and day difference. They are both great. All I can say is the Sierra 2 is a bit more clear up top but the RBH is more detailed. And of course the low end is the best I have ever heard out of a tower. It's like comparing a sports car to a touring car. They are both great just totally different.
So the Sierra is the touring car and the RBH is the sports car in this scenario? :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The RBH aren't going anywhere:D... They sound different than anything I have listened too. Just a massive amount of bass and super detailed... So happy they were suggested over the others I was considering.
Darn. That's strike one for me. :D

I am on the batting again. This time it's the SX-8300/R. It will probably be strike number two for me (fingers crossed). :D

But there has got to be someone out there who doesn't like his SX-8300. I don't know. Maybe after strike number one hundred or something. :eek:

Speaking of trades, there is a guy on Audiogon who wants to trade his Martin Logan for my Revel Salon2. Please. No thanks. :D

But speaking of more detailed sound, back when I was comparing RBH T2 vs Salon2 vs 800D vs Orion vs 201/2, etc., I also thought I could hear more detail and clarity from the RBH T2. I was in denial, though, because the classic T2 are just not that pretty to my eyes. :D

But extremely detailed/high resolution sound to my ears.

I don't know if the T2 has more clarity than the SX-6300/R or 8300/R, but the T2 was extremely crystal clear. I mean the Salon2 and 802D2, etc., are also crystal clear to me. But the T2 are at least as crystal clear to my ears. I would think the 6300/8300 are as clear, but based on your description, I am wondering just a little.

Perhaps it is the room acoustics or minor placement.

Last edited:
ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I know the room is playing apart of what I am hearing. But both speakers are in the same exact spot. I can say that the RBH would be good for every type of music. The Ascends... not so much.
I think if I wanted to listen to some acoustic music the Ascends with sub would fit the bill.. I.E touring car. And if I really wanted to turn up my progressive rock... RBH. I.E Sports car.
You could get really intimate with the Ascends. You can get intimate and crazy with the RBH.

So there you go. I am keeping both sets of speakers. It's like having a wife and a girlfriend :D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Darn. That's strike one for me. :D

I am on the batting again. This time it's the SX-8300/R. It will probably be strike number two for me (fingers crossed). :D

But there has got to be someone out there who doesn't like his SX-8300. I don't know. Maybe after strike number one hundred or something. :eek:

Speaking of trades, there is a guy on Audiogon who wants to trade his Martin Logan for my Revel Salon2. Please. No thanks. :D

But speaking of more detailed sound, back when I was comparing RBH T2 vs Salon2 vs 800D vs Orion vs 201/2, etc., I also thought I could hear more detail and clarity from the RBH T2. I was in denial, though, because the classic T2 are just not that pretty to my eyes. :D

But extremely detailed/high resolution sound to my ears.

I don't know if the T2 has more clarity than the SX-6300/R or 8300/R, but the T2 was extremely crystal clear. I mean the Salon2 and 802D2, etc., are also crystal clear to me. But the T2 are at least as crystal clear to my ears. I would think the 6300/8300 are as clear, but based on your description, I am wondering just a little.

Perhaps it is the room acoustics or minor placement.
Time to sell your Salon2's and step up to a pair of 8300/R's :) The RBH's may not be as pretty but they will definitely give you more output not only in bass but in the midrange. Most companies simply don't get the importance of more piston area in the mids. It's one of the reasons why I'm such a fan of a properly designed MTM over a conventional 3-way.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Whoa!!! You mean to tell me and my virgin ears that the 8300R's at less than half the price (retail) knock out the Salons!?

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I believe him. The 6300/R has fantastic output. I could imagine the 8300 being huge!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Whoa!!! You mean to tell me and my virgin ears that the 8300R's at less than half the price (retail) knock out the Salons!?
Having personally heard both speaker systems various times at trade shows (though not in the same demo room), I'd choose the 8300/R's but your listening preferences may prefer the Salons which are still great speakers and much prettier than the RBH's. BTW the 8300/R's range from $5900/pr to $8900/pr depending on finish option which is close to the price of the Salon2's I believe.

Last edited:
ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Big difference in price too is why I chose the 6300/R.. $3600 retail or $5900.00...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Time to sell your Salon2's and step up to a pair of 8300/R's :) The RBH's may not be as pretty but they will definitely give you more output not only in bass but in the midrange. Most companies simply don't get the importance of more piston area in the mids. It's one of the reasons why I'm such a fan of a properly designed MTM over a conventional 3-way.
Gene, my goal is to sell all my speakers (Salon2, 802D2, Orion, KEF 201/2, Phil3, Funk sub, etc.) and have five RBH SX-T2.

I would get the SX-T2/R if I could hear the difference.

So just five RBH SX-T2 and no other subwoofers.

The pair of SX-8300 would be for the family room if I can sell the Phil3 or if someone would trade me his pair of SX-8300. :D

I have not heard the SX-8300 or 8300/R, but I can honestly say that the T2 sound better to ME (since everyone is different) than anything I have ever heard or owned.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Having personally heard both speaker systems various times at trade shows (though not in the same demo room), I'd choose the 8300/R's but your listening preferences may prefer the Salons which are still great speakers and much prettier than the RBH's. BTW the 8300/R's range from $5900/pr to $8900/pr depending on finish option which is close to the price of the Salon2's I believe.
I like the Salon2 & 802D2 a lot.

But the ability to actively bi-amp the SX-8300 and SX-T2s is a huge advantage to me.

For the treble and midrange, I would say it's a draw, although personally I would still think the SX-T2 has better treble and midrange. Subjectively.

With the Salon2, I still need subwoofers. No way I could do without subs. But with the SX-T2, I do not need other subwoofers FOR SURE. Unequivocally. Perhaps the same with the SX-8300s.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I can honestly say that having the RBH speakers have moved me into my first true audiophile sounding speakers.

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene, my goal is to sell all my speakers (Salon2, 802D2, Orion, KEF 201/2, Phil3, Funk sub, etc.) and have five RBH SX-T2.

I would get the SX-T2/R if I could hear the difference.

So just five RBH SX-T2 and no other subwoofers.

The pair of SX-8300 would be for the family room if I can sell the Phil3 or if someone would trade me his pair of SX-8300. :D

I have not heard the SX-8300 or 8300/R, but I can honestly say that the T2 sound better to ME (since everyone is different) than anything I have ever heard or owned.
Your INSANE! :) You've got some nice gear and it's so hard to get a good value on your resale unfortunately.

The T2 will likely have more bass capability than the 8300's but it should be pretty close however the T2/R would definitely outgun the 8300s in that regard especially if you slap a 1kwatt amp on the bass section :)

If your room doesn't have symmetric left/right sidewalls and is instead L shaped like mine, I'd recommend an MTM driver alignment (like 8300s or 8Ts) over the T system. I am trying to talk RBH into offering an RBH version of the 8Ts for a fraction of the cost and they seem to be interested in the idea. Fingers crossed.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
BTW the 8300/R's range from $5900/pr to $8900/pr depending on finish option which is close to the price of the Salon2's I believe.
The Salon2s retail for $22K per pair. They are commonly available from dealers for about $17K.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Your INSANE! :) You've got some nice gear and it's so hard to get a good value on your resale unfortunately.

The T2 will likely have more bass capability than the 8300's but it should be pretty close however the T2/R would definitely outgun the 8300s in that regard especially if you slap a 1kwatt amp on the bass section :)

If your room doesn't have symmetric left/right sidewalls and is instead L shaped like mine, I'd recommend an MTM driver alignment (like 8300s or 8Ts) over the T system. I am trying to talk RBH into offering an RBH version of the 8Ts for a fraction of the cost and they seem to be interested in the idea. Fingers crossed.
My room is rectangular and pretty symmetric.

Ooh, I would be interested in the top cabinet RBH version of the 8Ts or SX-8300. I already have 5 of the SX-1010N subs. So I just need 5 big time monitors. The SX-661 monitor is too small for me. Something like the SX-T1, except in MTM configuration.

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
With the Salon2, I still need subwoofers. No way I could do without subs. But with the SX-T2, I do not need other subwoofers FOR SURE. Unequivocally.
If you get five SX-T2s you might be right, due to the smoothing effect of so many bass sources, but with only two T2s I suspect their audible bass will be no better than the Salon2s, which are low distortion at 100db at 25Hz measured in my room. I think you also have to control them like subs, meaning adjusting their level separately, to get the effect you want.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you get five SX-T2s you might be right, due to the smoothing effect of so many bass sources, but with only two T2s I suspect their audible bass will be no better than the Salon2s, which are low distortion at 100db at 25Hz measured in my room. I think you also have to control them like subs, meaning adjusting their level separately, to get the effect you want.
Hence the active bi-amp of the subs cabinets. I would let Audyssey do sub EQ and use DEQ for the subwoofer cabinets. Thus, even a pair of T2s would not need bass. When I auditioned the T2s, it was only 2 speakers. No subwoofers required. The pair of T2s had better bass than my big SC Trinity subwoofer at the time. The 2 T2s were actively bi-amped.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Hence the active bi-amp of the subs cabinets. I would let Audyssey do sub EQ and use DEQ for the subwoofer cabinets. Thus, even a pair of T2s would not need bass. When I auditioned the T2s, it was only 2 speakers. No subwoofers required. The pair of T2s had better bass than my big SC Trinity subwoofer at the time. The 2 T2s were actively bi-amped.
When I auditioned the Salon2s, at two different dealers, I couldn't imagine needing a sub either. I put them in my odd-shaped room, placed for best imaging, and I needed another bass source to get satisfaction; EQ wouldn't have been enough. EQ does okay taming big peaks from room modes, but you can't really EQ-away deep suck-outs. You'll only know what you have when you place them in your own room, in their actual positions.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
When I auditioned the Salon2s, at two different dealers, I couldn't imagine needing a sub either. I put them in my odd-shaped room, placed for best imaging, and I needed another bass source to get satisfaction; EQ wouldn't have been enough. EQ does okay taming big peaks from room modes, but you can't really EQ-away deep suck-outs. You'll only know what you have when you place them in your own room, in their actual positions.
Probably. Some rooms would just need a little EQ, but some rooms may need a lot more help.

But I could easily use DEQ on the SX-T2 or SX-8300 (via active bi-amp). However, I cannot even use DEQ on the Salon2. And that right there is enough reason for me to favor the RBH over all other traditional towers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis