RBH Sound Owner's Thread

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Really? It's been a few years since I talked to the guys at Emotiva, but when I was working with them to figure out a unique solution for a customer, I found their customer service to be most excellent. Kind of like many of the other smaller audio companies, it'd go straight to a real live person who was intimately familiar with the products. In my case, the guy helping me was one of their product designers/engineers. Perhaps that's changed since, which would be a shame, but I just haven't heard anything about poor customer service until your post.
I'm just relaying what the general consensus is from around the forums. That's awesome that you had a good experience. Wish it was like that all the time, but to be honest, you're the first person that has said they had great customer service from them. I too, was interested in them a year or so ago until I kept seeing the negative stuff about customer service. Gene has mentioned that he loved his Emotiva amp until it broke and Emotiva would not help him at all. Others on here have said the same thing when they owned an emotiva product. I know it's not a huge sample size and the 10-15 people on here that have criticized them don't speak for the thousands that are happy with their product, but I will just caution a potential buyer if someone asks about them. No hate, just caution.

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
I'm just relaying what the general consensus is from around the forums. That's awesome that you had a good experience. Wish it was like that all the time, but to be honest, you're the first person that has said they had great customer service from them. I too, was interested in them a year or so ago until I kept seeing the negative stuff about customer service. Gene has mentioned that he loved his Emotiva amp until it broke and Emotiva would not help him at all. Others on here have said the same thing when they owned an emotiva product. I know it's not a huge sample size and the 10-15 people on here that have criticized them don't speak for the thousands that are happy with their product, but I will just caution a potential buyer if someone asks about them. No hate, just caution.
Gotcha. Guess I haven't paid enough attention to that lately. That's a bummer.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
New registrant, first post and definitely not an audhiophile (yet!) - so please be patient.

My new SVTRs are on the way ( two SV-831Rs atop two SV-1212NRs). I am going to need a new amp to help drive these 4ohm speakers as my Harman Kardon 7200 receiver is rated for 8 ohms. I am considering an Emotiva XPA-2 Gen3 2 Channel amp to drive them. Any words of wisdom for me?

While it is just outside of my budget I could consider two monoblocks (XPA HC1) there are also a few amps on eBay/Audiogon available if they are better - Rotels, B&K Reference 200.5, Aragon 2005.

Thanks in advance,

The Buddha
My SVT towers are in my living room (23x24x13) open to formal dining, foyer, kitchen.

I am using the Yamaha RX-A3080 AVR to power my SVT along with a single RBH SA-500DSP amp.

You don’t need a lot of power for them to sound 100% awesome, unlike some other speakers that people claim “open up and sound better with more power”. :D

Do your SVT towers have the internal crossovers for the SV-1212NR subs? IOW, did you buy them as “SVTR” towers or did you buy them as separate “SV-831R + SV-1212NR” cabinets?

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
My SVT towers are in my living room (23x24x13) open to formal dining, foyer, kitchen.

I am using the Yamaha RX-A3080 AVR to power my SVT along with a single RBH SA-500DSP amp.

You don’t need a lot of power for them to sound 100% awesome, unlike some other speakers that people claim “open up and sound better with more power”. :D

Do your SVT towers have the internal crossovers for the SV-1212NR subs? IOW, did you buy them as “SVTR” towers or did you buy them as separate “SV-831R + SV-1212NR” cabinets?

Andrew, when you upgrade them "old" :p RBH speakers I got first dibs on them!:D
505104FA-CA83-44DD-86CC-8A7C9A8923EE.gif

Last edited:
B

BuddhaBoy

Enthusiast

Thank you for your reply. I bought them with the internal crossovers. I have been reading Gene's posting and he recommends not trying to drive 4 ohm speakers with receivers rated for 8 ohms, hence the move to buy a power amp. I have owned my HK 7200 for 16 years now and will upgrade at a later time but till then I think going with a power amp may be the route to take.

Based on Movie2099's response I see that a Parasound NewClassic 2250 v.2 Two Channel Power Amplifier is available in my budget range but it does not come with balanced XLR inputs, any thoughts on that versus the Emotiva?

Thanks again for your guidance,

The Buddha

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you for your reply. I bought them with the internal crossovers. I have been reading Gene's posting and he recommends not trying to drive 4 ohm speakers with receivers rated for 8 ohms, hence the move to buy a power amp. I have owned my HK 7200 for 16 years now and will upgrade at a later time but till then I think going with a power amp may be the route to take.

Based on Movie2099's response I see that a Parasound NewClassic 2250 v.2 Two Channel Power Amplifier is available in my budget range but it does not come with balanced XLR inputs, any thoughts on that versus the Emotiva?

The Buddha
I think your current AVR or similar (300 Watts x 2Ch into 4 ohms continuous) is good enough.

If there is any chance you will be getting a Pre-pro or AVR that has XLR outputs, then I would get an amp that has XLR inputs.

AFAIK, the Yamaha RX-A3080 is the only current AVR in the world that has XLR outputs for front L/R.

If none of the above, then it doesn’t matter if the amp has XLR or not.

As for Emotiva, Gene has “quit“ Emotiva and so have many of us. Like we have “quit” cable. :D I wouldn’t touch EMO with a 10-foot pole. :D

If you want more budget brands, Outlaw and Monolith are options.

But if my SVT towers were SVTR with internal XO for the SV-1212NR, I would still just use my Yamaha RX-A3080 AVR w/o using any other amps. And I sit 18FT away from my speakers.

Your HK-7200 AVR should have similar power to my RX-A3080 (300 Watts x 2Ch 4-ohm).

How far do you sit from your SVTR?

Last edited:
B

BuddhaBoy

Enthusiast
I think your current AVR or similar (300 Watts x 2Ch into 4 ohms continuous) is good enough.

If there is any chance you will be getting a Pre-pro or AVR that has XLR outputs, then I would get an amp that has XLR inputs.

AFAIK, the Yamaha RX-A3080 is the only current AVR in the world that has XLR outputs for front L/R.

If none of the above, then it doesn’t matter if the amp has XLR or not.

As for Emotiva, Gene has “quit“ Emotiva and so have many of us. Like we have “quit” cable. :D I wouldn’t touch EMO with a 10-foot pole. :D

If you want more budget brands, Outlaw and Monolith are options.

But if my SVT towers were SVTR with internal XO for the SV-1212NR, I would still just use my Yamaha RX-A3080 AVR w/o using any other amps. And I sit 18FT away from my speakers.

Your HK-7200 AVR should have similar power to my RX-A3080 (300 Watts x 2Ch 4-ohm).

How far do you sit from your SVTR?
Thank you again - please accept my thanks for all the education I am receiving. I looked up the manual of my HK Av7200 and it apparently does not drive a four ohm load. I am now leaning towards the Monolith 2 channel based on your suggestion.

The Buddha

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you again - please accept my thanks for all the education I am receiving. I looked up the manual of my HK Av7200 and it apparently does not drive a four ohm load. I am now leaning towards the Monolith 2 channel based on your suggestion.

The Buddha
Well nothing wrong with getting new amps for your awesome new shiny SVTR towers of power.

But most AVR companies will air on the safe and conservative side and say their AVRs are only rated for 8 ohms. S&V Magazine actually tested the HK AVR7300 and got about 300W x 2Ch into 4 ohms.

But absolutely nothing wrong with wanting new toys for your new boys. :D

E

Erod

Audioholic

The Buddha
Look at the Anthem STR amp for those two channels.

P

ParleyW

Audioholic
Excellent choice for speakers! Personally, I would skip the Emotiva. Not saying it would be a bad overall product, but it's been said Emotiva has terrible customer service and if that product breaks or has issues, you're pretty much better off just purchasing a new one. I would look at Monoprice amps. Way better customer service and made from a better company. You could also check out Outlaw amps, ATI amps (which makes Outlaw and Monolith amps), Rotel, Parasound or Anthem is good. Can't go wrong with any of the ones I listed. But I would suggest staying away from Emotiva.
I found a lovely one from a guy I know from eBay. Crestron CNAMPX-7X200. I believe ATI makes this as well as Outlaw, Monolith and a few others. $600 free shipping including a 24 volt adapter so it works as a standard amp. My RBH SX-T2/R based 7.2 all 4 ohm, so it’s 300 wpc x seven. Words fail me fellas. Beautiful sounding monster.

B

BuddhaBoy

Enthusiast
Look at the Anthem STR amp for those two channels.
Thank you Erod.

There was a shipping delay and the speakers are finally coming home in the next hour. One unfortunate thing, I bought the Monoprice Stereo Amp and it came with a faulty right channel and I am having to ship it back. I am currently eyeing a Parasound NewClassic 2250 v.2. Any thoughts on this product?

E

Erod

Audioholic
If I have the SV-661Rs for my LCR, are the SV-61R speakers a good option for the front wides? They don't need to be the exact same model to blend perfectly together, do they?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If I have the SV-661Rs for my LCR, are the SV-61R speakers a good option for the front wides? They don't need to be the exact same model to blend perfectly together, do they?
The SV-61R would be great for front wides or any other surround use.

Do you have in-ceiling Atmos or just the surround wides?

E

Erod

Audioholic
The SV-61R would be great for front wides or any other surround use.

Do you have in-ceiling Atmos or just the surround wides?
I have a 9.2.6 setup installed, but I'm waiting for the AVM70 to make it go.

Just expanded from 7.2.4. everything in place except the processor

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have a 9.2.6 setup installed, but I'm waiting for the AVM70 to make it go.

Just expanded from 7.2.4. everything in place except the processor
Jeez. 7.2.4 isn’t ENOUGH for you? :D

I am completely happy with my 5.2.4 RBH system. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis