RBH Sound Owner's Thread

M

markl9

Audiophyte
IME, unless you are listening without subwoofers or your speakers simply do not have enough output to play at the volume you want, there is amazingly little to be gained by buying floorstanders (unless you just really like the look!). Accordingly, I don't believe switching to floorstanders will get you much of what you are looking for. The switch to the reference drivers might, and if you can borrow or buy (with return option) RBH bookshelfs with the reference drivers, that would be worthwhile. Compare them in your room first and then take them to your friends house to compare with his B&W's. To me, the ease of transporting the smaller speakers without risking damage makes avoiding towers worthwhile - like I said, I have never experienced a substantial change in sound between smaller and larger speakers when there is a sub in play.

But I am maybe getting ahead of myself! What was it you liked so about the B&W's? and which model does he have? Did you listen to your music or his (how familiar are you with the music you heard)?

Why aren't you considering buying the same speakers he has? It seems like that is you new objective - to meet or beat the B&W's.

I am a RBH fan, but once you've been around this hobby, you realize there is no one speaker brand that is the perfect solution for everyone. Personally, I would be equally happy with upper level speakers from Revel, Focal, or Salk to name just a few. They don't sound identical, but they do sound equally fantastic! The switch to the /R drivers is a easily heard improvement IME, but if that doesn't resolve the issue, you should move on.

Agreed. I think what I heard with the towers has more to do with my room and placement. Forgot to mention that my RBH bookshelves are located in a custom cabinet. And, my room is pretty big (>5000 cubic feet). I put the towers out to the side of the custom cabinet and the sound just "opened up" with a much wider and deeper sound stage. And, I was getting better imaging for sure. Anyway, that is why I'm considering the towers. Its nothing against the little RBHs. I hope to keep 5 of them at least (center, surrounds, backs). It was the B&W 683s (which I think were the predecessor to the current 600 series which is one of their less expensive models). I guess I could pull the small speakers out of the cabinet and put them on stands, but I did like the look of the towers in the room. Lastly, the WAF was good. I even got a comment from her about how good the system sounded (which is a first in many years of this hobby):

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Agreed. I think what I heard with the towers has more to do with my room and placement. Forgot to mention that my RBH bookshelves are located in a custom cabinet. And, my room is pretty big (>5000 cubic feet). I put the towers out to the side of the custom cabinet and the sound just "opened up" with a much wider and deeper sound stage. And, I was getting better imaging for sure. Anyway, that is why I'm considering the towers. Its nothing against the little RBHs. I hope to keep 5 of them at least (center, surrounds, backs). It was the B&W 683s (which I think were the predecessor to the current 600 series which is one of their less expensive models). I guess I could pull the small speakers out of the cabinet and put them on stands, but I did like the look of the towers in the room. Lastly, the WAF was good. I even got a comment from her about how good the system sounded (which is a first in many years of this hobby):
If you like the look of the towers and since you are willing to spend $5000, don't mess with stands, upgrade to towers with the /R drivers for your front 3 speakers!
But first, I would start with a test of placing your current speakers similar to how the B&W's were located. Maybe you have a couple of simple wooden stools or something for temporary speaker stands. Even dining chairs with a stack of books to get the tweeters up to ear height. You may have to spend a little time re-integrating your subs, but usually the location of the subs can stay the same.
This should establish if it is speaker location that makes the difference (I suspect it is). You definitely want to determine that before committing funds to anything!

M

markl9

Audiophyte
You should go with whatever sounds best to you.

Definitely audition every speaker you can.

Have you compared the RBH SVT (SV831/SV1212N) Towers vs the B&W towers?

I do have the SVT towers and SX-T2R towers if you are ever in in the OKC area.
Thanks. I agree and normally don't post "what should I buy" topics. I prefer to just go listen and make my decision based on what I am hearing. But, that is not possible with the RBH towers (at least for me). The closest dealer is a 4 hour drive and he doesn't even stock them. If I go this route, I just have to buy them and then return them if I don't like them. Anyway, really appreciate your suggestions. Those SV831/SV1212N towers look awesome.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks. I agree and normally don't post "what should I buy" topics. I prefer to just go listen and make my decision based on what I am hearing. But, that is not possible with the RBH towers (at least for me). The closest dealer is a 4 hour drive and he doesn't even stock them. If I go this route, I just have to buy them and then return them if I don't like them. Anyway, really appreciate your suggestions. Those SV831/SV1212N towers look awesome.
You have any pics of your room/setup?

M

markl9

Audiophyte
Two viewing options. OLED for daytime viewing, projector & screen for night time. There are about 17 windows in this room, so not your ideal theater setup, but it is a nice family room with a great view of the Colorado rocky mountains. Room is 25' x 24' with 12' vaulted ceiling

Attachments

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Two viewing options. OLED for daytime viewing, projector & screen for night time. There are about 17 windows in this room, so not your ideal theater setup, but it is a nice family room with a great view of the Colorado rocky mountains. Room is 25' x 24' with 12' vaulted ceiling
Wow, that's a pretty looking setup. :D

Putting any towers in there or putting bookshelf outside the cabinet won't look as clean, but I bet they will sound better outside the cabinet.

Probably a little compromise between SQ and Clean aesthetics.

E

Erod

Audioholic
For home theater, should these signature reference RBH speakers (with AMT tweeters) be toed in to the MLP, toed in less than that, more than that, or be set to play straight ahead?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For home theater, should these signature reference RBH speakers (with AMT tweeters) be toed in to the MLP, toed in less than that, more than that, or be set to play straight ahead?
@shadyJ might provide a technical answer. :D

I don’t toe my SVT towers (AMT tweeter) at all in my living room, but I sit about 18FT away and the towers are about 9FT apart.

It probably depends on how far apart the speakers are and how far you sit.

E

Erod

Audioholic

I don’t toe my SVT towers (AMT tweeter) at all in my living room, but I sit about 18FT away and the towers are about 9FT apart.

In my case, the MLP is 10 feet from the center channel (11.5 feet from the projection screen), and the speakers are 10 feet apart and 11 feet from me.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

I would guess for that model speaker, the most neutral response occurs on axis, so I would try them with the tweeter aimed directly at listening position, if the SV-61r is anything to go by.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
In my case, the MLP is 10 feet from the center channel (11.5 feet from the projection screen), and the speakers are 10 feet apart and 11 feet from me.
Toe it in so the tweeters are relatively on-axis with your ears.

E

Erod

Audioholic
I would guess for that model speaker, the most neutral response occurs on axis, so I would try them with the tweeter aimed directly at listening position, if the SV-61r is anything to go by.
One possible difference that may exist in that the AMT they are using now, which is square as opposed to the veritically oblong ones they used before during your review. I'm not sure if that has changed the beaming you measured around 5 kHz.

B

bingotem

Audiophyte
One possible difference that may exist in that the AMT they are using now, which is square as opposed to the veritically oblong ones they used before during your review. I'm not sure if that has changed the beaming you measured around 5 kHz.
Do you know if they are using the square AMT across the SV line now (less the largest modular tower/center), or is it swapped out because of your beryllium upgrade?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Do you know if they are using the square AMT across the SV line now (less the largest modular tower/center),or is it swapped out because of your beryllium upgrade?
The AMT of the SV831 and SV821C are unchanged.

The SV61R, SV661R , and SV661CR now have the Square AMT.

Reason:

1. Square AMT has similar Horizontal Dispersion to the previous AMT
2. Square AMT has better Vertical Dispersion to the previous AMT

Last edited:
B

bingotem

Audiophyte
Thanks for the reply. Do you know about the sv6500r tower amt? That is the most likely pair from rbh I'm looking at with the sv661cr in the center. Although I haven't ruled out the 831 yet.
I've been poking around the rbh website for some months now, seems a little weird the photos show the old amt. Maybe I'm missing something?

E

Erod

Audioholic
Thanks for the reply. Do you know about the sv6500r tower amt? That is the most likely pair from rbh I'm looking at with the sv661cr in the center. Although I haven't ruled out the 831 yet.
I've been poking around the rbh website for some months now, seems a little weird the photos show the old amt. Maybe I'm missing something?
It is odd they haven't updated the photo. The text description is wrong, too. It says it has a dome tweeter.

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
I have a question for all you RBH guys. Has anyone tried to lay the sub portion of a T2 or similar system on it's side? I ask because of my room layout I can't put subs in all four corners. (See the attached layout.) I was thinking the next best option was to use the rule of 1/4s layout but because of the width of the room (14'-10') and my screen size (115 or 123 scope) using the standard tower configuration would put the T2's into the screen. I would have to lay the subs on their sides and put the upper portion all the way to the outsides making an "L" shape if that makes sense.
The other dilemma I'm looking at is that I can't get a true 1/4 dimension on the back wall because of the door and step on the riser. The one nearest the door in particular would be about 18" or more off center as a guess. The subs for the rear would be HSU VTF3 MkII's.
PLUS by using the riser as a bass trap almost any placement of a sub on the riser would be on top of one of the vents. I'm not sure how that or any of my layout thoughts, for that matter, will affect the sound.
Thoughts?? Suggestions???
Thanks!

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis