Questions about duals

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Hi fellow Audioholics! I'm wanting to add a second sub to my HT for the standard reasons. Being on a blue collar budget I'd ideally like to keep my spend under $300. With that being said, I'd like to hear product suggestions. Also, I've read, briefly, that non-matching subs are harder to calibrate using Audyssey MultiEQ XT, as it wind up have a detrimental effect on the response of one of the subs (I can't remember which). I need your collective knowledge, audio savants

Something to keep in mind is that I'd REALLY like to make this addition ASAP, but might be willing to wait for a matching sub (PB-1000) if it's absolutely critical.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Subs are expensive for a reason:

-You have a driver that needs to reproduce wavelengths larger than most rooms and at high sound pressure levels.

-A cabinet that often has more finished surface area than many tower speakers, and needs extensive bracing.

-And then it also needs to have a built in amplifier with multiple connection options and controls.

Sorry if that is pedantic, but I cannot over state the importance of quantity AND quality of bass.

It sounds like you have the beginnings of a great system, I would stay the course and save for a matching SVS. Your patience will be rewarded with GREATLY simplified integration!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hi fellow Audioholics! I'm wanting to add a second sub to my HT for the standard reasons. Being on a blue collar budget I'd ideally like to keep my spend under $300. With that being said, I'd like to hear product suggestions. Also, I've read, briefly, that non-matching subs are harder to calibrate using Audyssey MultiEQ XT, as it wind up have a detrimental effect on the response of one of the subs (I can't remember which). I need your collective knowledge, audio savants

Something to keep in mind is that I'd REALLY like to make this addition ASAP, but might be willing to wait for a matching sub (PB-1000) if it's absolutely critical.
The problem with non matching subs is that the performance of the lesser sub can bottleneck the good one. Lets say both are being send a strong 20 Hz signal, the good one will play cleanly but the lesser one can chug and just produce a bunch of distortion that will make the overall sound worse than if it hadn't been there at all.

What sub do you have currently?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd up the budget and watch for a used PB1000 or maybe a b-stock one at the SVS store....

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
The problem with non matching subs is that the performance of the lesser sub can bottleneck the good one. Lets say both are being send a strong 20 Hz signal, the good one will play cleanly but the lesser one can chug and just produce a bunch of distortion that will make the overall sound worse than if it hadn't been there at all.

What sub do you have currently?
I have an SVS PB-1000. I figure keeping it all the same is best, but I are plenty of descriptions of systems with multiple, but different subs. Are there subs out there at a lower price that will perform similarly down to 19hz?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I have an SVS PB-1000. I figure keeping it all the same is best, but I are plenty of descriptions of systems with multiple, but different subs. Are there subs out there at a lower price that will perform similarly down to 19hz?
It looks like the monoprice 10" THX Ultra has a similar performance profile, but it is equally priced, now lower priced. The Hsu VTF-1 mk3 is tuned just a little bit higher and is somewhat less expensive. But there isnt anything cheaper than these that digs as deep.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall

There are times when it might pay to be in a hurry in this arena...closeout sale, etc. but generally speaking, don't rush it. I've done that in the past and later wished I'd waited.

Obviously, saving for the matching sub is the direction I would go. As subs go, sounds like you have a really nice build going.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Ignoring budget for a sec... Size of the space in volume? Large single sub would be my vote. With SVS, don’t they let you trade up to a PB2000 and trade back in the PB1000? If so, that’s an option. Otherwise HSU or Rythmik 12in ported are great options vs SVS PB2000 12 in ported unless the space is big enough to require a 15... Monolith 12, I would bet will go on sale now and then and possibly be a great value. Not sure they are perfect but they shouldn’t be overlooked. The monolith 10 probably is a bit better than the PB1000 as well given the weight and excellent reviews, just they are new on the market ... Otherwise a b stock 2nd PB1000 if going duals unless you get a similar discount for buying the 2nd new... Quality bass is an investment for sure. You are on the right track since you chose SVS before. I’m just not sure they are the best value anymore vs the current competition. Good luck! :)

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Ignoring budget for a sec... Size of the space in volume? Large single sub would be my vote. With SVS, don’t they let you trade up to a PB2000 and trade back in the PB1000? If so, that’s an option. Otherwise HSU or Rythmik 12in ported are great options vs SVS PB2000 12 in ported unless the space is big enough to require a 15... Monolith 12, I would bet will go on sale now and then and possibly be a great value. Not sure they are perfect but they shouldn’t be overlooked. The monolith 10 probably is a bit better than the PB1000 as well given the weight and excellent reviews, just they are new on the market ... Otherwise a b stock 2nd PB1000 if going duals unless you get a similar discount for buying the 2nd new... Quality bass is an investment for sure. You are on the right track since you chose SVS before. I’m just not sure they are the best value anymore vs the current competition. Good luck! :)
My room is pretty small at approximately 1700ft³. I'm satisfied with the slam the PB1000 provides. What I'd like is better coverage. I got my first sub refurbished, from an authorized reseller, so I'm not sure if the customer bill of rights applies to me I kind of feel stepping up to the 2000 would just be more of the same in terms of the standing waves. The Monolith 10" intrigues me if only for the idea that it might have less distortion.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
My room is pretty small at approximately 1700ft³. I'm satisfied with the slam the PB1000 provides. What I'd like is better coverage. I got my first sub refurbished, from an authorized reseller, so I'm not sure if the customer bill of rights applies to me I kind of feel stepping up to the 2000 would just be more of the same in terms of the standing waves. The Monolith 10" intrigues me if only for the idea that it might have less distortion.
Distortion is not a good thing obviously. Are you reaching beyond the capabilities of that 10? If so, not sure adding a second one is the best move although you would run 2 at lower levels and maybe have less distortion. I have lived with bad subs before and I don’t want that for anyone.... I would not throw more money at a sub that is distorting... It is just distracting from your theater and music. I think you can sell the PB1000 easily after you replace it with a ported 12 or move it to a bedroom system. That monolith 10 I’m not sure is perfect either, I would go ported 12 and have more than enough rather than barely enough. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Distortion is not a good thing obviously. Are you reaching beyond the capabilities of that 10? If so, not sure adding a second one is the best move although you would run 2 at lower levels and maybe have less distortion. I have lived with bad subs before and I don’t want that for anyone.... I would not throw more money at a sub that is distorting... It is just distracting from your theater and music. I think you can sell the PB1000 easily after you replace it with a ported 12 or move it to a bedroom system. That monolith 10 I’m not sure is perfect either, I would go ported 12 and have more than enough rather than barely enough. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
No, I don't believe it is distorting. More of a theoretical question. I haven't had a movie push it too much, and keep the gain fairly low as I feel the room is giving it some gain. Being a noob, I don't know how to measure and verify any of this. I'm only using the ear test.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
There's an HSU VTF MK4 in my area for $300... condition is stated as "perfect working order". Any thoughts on this?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
This sound promising. I would go for it, as a single sub upgrade. (Dual subs should be identical). Maybe offer a bit under asking. :)

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That's a good sub and a fair price if its in good condition, so don't low-ball him. Grab it if you need a good sub in a low budget.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
This sound promising. I would go for it, as a single sub upgrade. (Dual subs should be identical). Maybe offer a bit under asking. :)
I have had my PB1000 for just a few weeks, and would really like to have duals, not just upgrade. I don't think I can return my PB1000 since I didn't get it direct from SVS. Also, don't really know how I'd get a matching HSU

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
That's a good sub and a fair price if its in good condition, so don't low-ball him. Grab it if you need a good sub in a low budget.
Thoughts on this being the second sub (pb1000) in a 5.2 If the weaker sub is the limiting factor, I'd be ok with that as I'm already really happy with my frequency response, but am looking for better dispersion.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I have had my PB1000 for just a few weeks, and would really like to have duals, not just upgrade. I don't think I can return my PB1000 since I didn't get it direct from SVS. Also, don't really know how I'd get a matching HSU
Hmm that VTF3 mk4 if in good condition is probably better than or equal to a pb2000 and a single one would work... As far as duals...my advice might be wrong to keep them identical and shady would know better (although identical is what everyone says), but I would think finding another vtf3 mk4 is a long shot unless you live in LA. If you truly love that PB1000, it’s probably much easier to find s second PB1000. By the way, it is perfectly reasonable to haggle on used gear without low balling and save a little bit. Good luck!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The PB-1000 would not terrible to mate with a VTF-3 mk4 because SVS tends to place strict limits on the amount of distortion they can produce. The SVS sub will not be able to produce that much bad noise. The only problem is mismatched tuning points below the tuning frequency of the highest tuned sub. Thankfully the VTF-3 with both ports open in EQ2 mode will have a very similar response and tuning point to the PB-1000. I have the predecessor to the VTF-3 mk4, I have some mk3s, and I adore the design, by the way. It is a large sub though, so make sure you understand how big it is before you pull the trigger.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis