[Question] Powering loudspeakers through a dayton 120 sub

M

mHo2

Audioholic Intern
An amp won't simplify your setup, an AVR will. I suggested something like the Amp100 because they can be found cheap and fairly easily, but an AVR is likely to be a more practical solution, though it may cost you a bit more. I agree with looking at Accessories For Less - I've bought from them many times and they are quite good.
Okay, well i'll look for an AVR in my local online used classifieds. I understand that an AVR would be simpler, but more expensive. Though that audio source amp would make setting up easier for me, so i do have a couple more questions.

On the right is where all of the connections would go, one set would come from the amp, to the sub, then another set would go out to the speakers.
Here is a terribly made diagram off of paint, of what i was hoping this setup to look like without an AVR (with doesnt really need a diagram):

Final(-ish) questions:
1. Am i being logical? would this set up work?
2. would i need more parts to get this setup to work? (i.e. a power amp)
3. would i be able to control volume of both the sub and the speakers from the amp? (i dont care about fine tuning options, just plain old volume)

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, that would work (nice job :) ). You could use the A speaker outputs to the speakers and the B speaker output to the sub and then it the amp would be able to control the volume. I forgot about that. I was thinking you would use the line output from the amp to the sub and I am not sure that output is inline with the volume control. You can obviously also control the volume with your computer.

One thing to note, the speaker level outs from the sub are fixed, not variable. The variable crossover on the sub's amp only affects the amp, so plugging the speakers into the sub may not give you the best results if that crossover point is too high. Some subs have higher crossover points for use with smaller speakers.

The CD player I am using has level attenuation, so I use that as my volume control for my little system.

M

mHo2

Audioholic Intern
Yes, that would work (nice job :) ). You could use the A speaker outputs to the speakers and the B speaker output to the sub and then it the amp would be able to control the volume. I forgot about that. I was thinking you would use the line output from the amp to the sub and I am not sure that output is inline with the volume control. You can obviously also control the volume with your computer.

One thing to note, the speaker level outs from the sub are fixed, not variable. The variable crossover on the sub's amp only affects the amp, so plugging the speakers into the sub may not give you the best results if that crossover point is too high. Some subs have higher crossover points for use with smaller speakers.

The CD player I am using has level attenuation, so I use that as my volume control for my little system.
Im not sure if my idea got mixed up, or i mis-read your post, but my idea was to run just from the 'a' output to the sub, (because it has a high-level amp in input) then run from the sub 'speaker' out to my speakers

http://junkies.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/sub-120c.jpg

if you squint a bit, you can see the labellings on the back of the sub. If that idea doesnt work, the line out might just work as well, if not it seems like i'd need an AVR.

Another thing is, the sub does actually seem to have a freq crossover control at the back, so that would be useful.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The way you have diagramed will work. What I am saying is, the speaker level outputs from the sub are FIXED, meaning when you adjust the sub's x-over, it will not affect the x-over point of the speakers, it will only adjust the sub.

M

mHo2

Audioholic Intern
The way you have diagramed will work. What I am saying is, the speaker level outputs from the sub are FIXED, meaning when you adjust the sub's x-over, it will not affect the x-over point of the speakers, it will only adjust the sub.
Makes sense, i would need a AVR or something else to get the crossover to change the x-over, that shouldn't be too big of an issue.

Many thanks for your help! (and everyone else who contributed!) May this thread die in peace, (and possibly confuse or help some other nooblings)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis