Queen Elizabeth - RIP .........

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I got that impression from years of your posts but, wait, "I don't think anyone is superior to Americans"? I can't believe you wrote that.

You've changed,man. You've changed. ;)

If only a minority of the colonists supported the revolution, it wouldn't have happened. While many didn't support it because they were worried about their livelihood of farming and businesses being disrupted or ruined, those same businesses were being hammered by the treatment of their goods by the Crown and the high cost for imports. They required trade practices that were completely unfair and led to many forms of resistance.

Where have I ever written anything about Britain in the way you're replying? They're so far from innocent that they're sitting with all of the worst at the same table.

Uh, there was no 'West Germany' during WWII- that claim must have come after the blame was being assigned.

Humans, eh- give them the opportunity to be good people and what do they do? Kill millions and blame someone else.
I don't believe I've changed at all. I've stated before that there is much that I admire about the US. Maybe my criticism of the American political right over the past few years gives a different impression.

Yes, it was a minority that supported the revolution. And, it was fought mainly by the poor, who had no stake in the outcome, on behalf of the colonial elites - a story as old as mankind. If you do a bit of Googling, you can find many references backing that up. Do you think a majority of Russians supported their revolution? I would wager that a majority didn't even know it was going on until it tore through their villages.

The UK certainly has much to answer for, regarding their imperial conquests. Just don't forget that the American colonists - as well as the Canadians - were part of that process. We can't just tut-tut at the nasty Brits - they were us.

You misunderstand what I'm saying about East/West Germany. While West Germany admitted their guilt and paid reparations, East Germany washed their hands of the whole mess and claimed innocence.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Sadly, a thread about the 'life' of Queen Elizabeth has turned into a pissin match..........

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I don't believe I've changed at all. I've stated before that there is much that I admire about the US. Maybe my criticism of the American political right over the past few years gives a different impression.

Yes, it was a minority that supported the revolution. And, it was fought mainly by the poor, who had no stake in the outcome, on behalf of the colonial elites - a story as old as mankind. If you do a bit of Googling, you can find many references backing that up. Do you think a majority of Russians supported their revolution? I would wager that a majority didn't even know it was going on until it tore through their villages.

The UK certainly has much to answer for, regarding their imperial conquests. Just don't forget that the American colonists - as well as the Canadians - were part of that process. We can't just tut-tut at the nasty Brits - they were us.

You misunderstand what I'm saying about East/West Germany. While West Germany admitted their guilt and paid reparations, East Germany washed their hands of the whole mess and claimed innocence.
FFS! Why did you take that "you've changed" comment seriously?

Some rich and wealthy will usually fight when they believe the fight is worthwhile but they don't need to enter battle to do something worthwhile. They can provide money, supplies, arms, housing, places to provide medical care and other things.

How would the poor afford the increased taxes and expenses imposed by the Crown?

Some of the original funding of the colonies originally came from the Crown- they had 'governors' who managed them, the colonists were required to do their share and if they didn't, were sent off. That lasted for awhile, but in the second half of the 1700s, when Britain was fighting some wars that had nothing to do with America, the colonies were taxed more heavily as a way to add to the war fund- read what the Founding Fathers had to say about that.

I haven't seen much that supports your ideas about the minority supporting the Russian Revolution and the Wiki link shows otherwise.

The American colonists weren't sent to vanquish the native people and weren't part of the British military.

WRT East/West Germany, you're referring to them being called 'East Germany after the Berlin Wall was erected? Germany was forced to accept blame and pay for reconstruction as terms of surrender but most of Europe hated the Jews, so why is it a surprise that East Germany "washed their hands of it"?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
FFS! Why did you take that "you've changed" comment seriously?

Some rich and wealthy will usually fight when they believe the fight is worthwhile but they don't need to enter battle to do something worthwhile. They can provide money, supplies, arms, housing, places to provide medical care and other things.

How would the poor afford the increased taxes and expenses imposed by the Crown?

Some of the original funding of the colonies originally came from the Crown- they had 'governors' who managed them, the colonists were required to do their share and if they didn't, were sent off. That lasted for awhile, but in the second half of the 1700s, when Britain was fighting some wars that had nothing to do with America, the colonies were taxed more heavily as a way to add to the war fund- read what the Founding Fathers had to say about that.

I haven't seen much that supports your ideas about the minority supporting the Russian Revolution and the Wiki link shows otherwise.

The American colonists weren't sent to vanquish the native people and weren't part of the British military.

WRT East/West Germany, you're referring to them being called 'East Germany after the Berlin Wall was erected? Germany was forced to accept blame and pay for reconstruction as terms of surrender but most of Europe hated the Jews, so why is it a surprise that East Germany "washed their hands of it"?
I give up. I'm tired of refuting your posts on the subject.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Back on subject, the BBC coverage of the Procession to Lying-In-State is very good. It's nice that you can pop out a mini-player on YouTube which overlays your desktop while working on other things. Not sure how long this link will be up but I'm sure plenty of Canadians will be watching.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Back on subject, the BBC coverage of the Procession to Lying-In-State is very good. It's nice that you can pop out a mini-player on YouTube which overlays your desktop while working on other things. Not sure how long this link will be up but I'm sure plenty of Canadians will be watching.
I watched the procession from start to finish. It just confirmed to me that nobody - absolutely nobody - does pomp and ceremony like the British. It was very moving and I was more affected by it than I expected. Being ex-military, I understand how difficult it would be to pull this off without a single misstep. Very impressive.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I watched the procession from start to finish. It just confirmed to me that nobody - absolutely nobody - does pomp and ceremony like the British. It was very moving and I was more affected by it than I expected. Being ex-military, I understand how difficult it would be to pull this off without a single misstep. Very impressive.
I also ended up watching the entire coverage and it was indeed very impressive. Considering how many people were involved, the logistics are mind boggling. It was quite the accomplishment, down to the laying of sand to better accomodate the gun carriage.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Just watched the Queen's funeral procession and funeral. The precision was once again, magnificent. Hundreds of representatives from Commonwealth military units participated and leading the entire procession, was the RCMP.

I hope the King makes the effort to thank the pallbearers, as they were outstanding. When one considers the hours they must have practiced, they must be exhausted.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
And James Bond's employ in 'Her' Majesty's Secret Service has finally come to an end...........

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

I hope the King makes the effort to thank the pallbearers, as they were outstanding. When one considers the hours they must have practiced, they must be exhausted.
Not to mention the weight and what was on top, the crown jewels.

ps. A historical event passing in our lifetime.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis