Queen Elizabeth - RIP .........

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
All though she was a pretty fascinating woman. Loved by many, she surely has left a legacy. I ran across this. One has to wonder.

Screenshot_20220909-221412~4.png

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
They regret the Revolutionary War? ;)
So, you don't actually know why that happened. Read some history, especially the part where the British raped, pillaged their way around the world and had three Civil Wars. BTW- the British fired the first shots.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
What is not apparent in that list of European monarchies is how much of the regents powers have successively been curtailed since early 1900, in general.

We are democracies and think of us that way. Having a hereditary monarch as head of state is problematic for a democracy, though, however like a formal figure head they are reduced to. So I am a republican, but have not always been so.

As a little dig towards US right leaning persons saying that USA is ”not a democracy but a Republic”: Substituting Republic with monarchy would brand as what you are over here. (A general comment, not directed at you Alex).

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Somewhat agree, but the same musician in another popular song had words like these:
Dude, come out from your closet and admit you’re a monarchist. :p

As a Norwegian I appreciate very much how important our king was to us during WWII and after. That, in part, explains why the Norwegian had so much more legal power than the Swedish one in modern times.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
As a Norwegian I appreciate very much how important our king was to us during WWII and after. That, in part, explains why the Norwegian had so much more legal power than the Swedish one in modern times.
That goes back to my other question: How many people living in the USA are aware that Norway has King?
I know, I wasn't until I started to look into this

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
As a little dig towards US right leaning persons saying that USA is ”not a democracy but a Republic”: Substituting Republic with monarchy would brand as what you are over here. (A general comment, not directed at you Alex).
To be honest, especially while GOP is in control, USA rule very much resembles Plutocracy.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
25 years ago (31 Aug 1997) Princess Diana died in a horrific car wreck. She had been recently divorced from the then Prince Charles over marital infidelity.

They had been married in a widely televised royal wedding ceremony in 1981. By 1987 rumors of scandal had erupted. Then Queen Elizabeth and her husband Philip tried to reconcile the two, without success.

During 1992-93 the UK press was awash with stories of their failed marriage, including reports of leaked tape recorded phone conversations. The resulting scandal over Charles’s extra-marital affairs was big news in the UK. It all reflected negatively on Charles, Diana, and the royal family in general – but especially Charles.

Separated in 1992, divorced by 1996, Diana died a year later. Her funeral was as widely televised as her wedding 16 years earlier. In the next years, the reputation of the UK’s royal family and the monarchy in general was under a dark cloud. By the time Charles married Camilla Bowles in 2005, the royal family had begun a slow but sophisticated public relations campaign to recover their lost favor with the public.

25 years later, as the new king, Charles spoke, eulogizing his mother, saying “Thank you”. When I heard that particular comment, it made me think of the 10-15-year-long PR effort at rebuilding the reputation of the royal family after that sordid chapter. Charles was the main beneficiary. Since he became king a few days ago, I’ve heard no mention at all of Princess Diana and the disastrous aftermath of his divorce and her death.

dates & facts found in this Wikipedia page:

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
So, you don't actually know why that happened. Read some history, especially the part where the British raped, pillaged their way around the world and had three Civil Wars. BTW- the British fired the first shots.
You do realize, of course, that until the declaration of independence, the colonists were British. And, surprisingly, the raping and pillaging in America continued afterwards.

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
Since he became king a few days ago, I’ve heard no mention at all of Princess Diana and the disastrous aftermath of his divorce and her death.
On 'BBC World' Princess Diana is mentioned in the overview of Queen Elizabeth's life.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
You do realize, of course, that until the declaration of independence, the colonists were British. And, surprisingly, the raping and pillaging in America continued afterwards.
The British outlawed slavery in the colonies with the Slavery Abolition Act in 1833, so the American Revolution prolonged slavery in USA with over three decades.

highfigh

highfigh

Yes, I know- don't insult me just because you think everyone is superior to Americans. They were British subjects, having their asses taxed off with no recourse because they weren't represented in Parliament. You might want to look into more of the reasons they revolted.

Don't act as if Canada is innocent.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Prince Andrew, Duke of York, and his ex-wife Sarah, Duchess of York, have been appointed Royal Dog Wardens. They will take the late queen's corgis. This may very well be her last accomplishment as queen. It settles two problems – what to do with her dogs – and how to get her son Andrew out of the Jeffrey Epstein-scandal doghouse.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That goes back to my other question: How many people living in the USA are aware that Norway has King?
I know, I wasn't until I started to look into this
I'm vaguely aware that a lot of nations still have King/Queen figure heads. I just don't keep up with who they are.

I also am aware that a lot of countries are doing away with the figure heads because they no longer server a purpose. I can't remember who, but I know that one European country did away with theirs in the last decade.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, I know- don't insult me just because you think everyone is superior to Americans. They were British subjects, having their asses taxed off with no recourse because they weren't represented in Parliament. You might want to look into more of the reasons they revolted.

Don't act as if Canada is innocent.
If you feel insulted, that's a choice. I don't think anyone is superior to Americans. Where did you get the idea that I thought that?

The reasons for the American Revolution included taxation, but not exclusively. @Trell was joking, but you took it seriously. The reality is, only a minority of colonists supported the revolt and an equal number actively opposed it. It was as much a civil war as a revolution. Many thousands left for Canada afterwards.

My beef with your comment was that it referred to British "raping and pillaging" as if it was done by a different group of people. It reminded me of the old GDR denying any responsibility for the crimes of the Nazis, claiming that the Nazis were all in West Germany.

And no, Canada isn't innocent, which isn't something I stated, or even implied. Thanks for the strawman.

highfigh

highfigh

If you feel insulted, that's a choice. I don't think anyone is superior to Americans. Where did you get the idea that I thought that?

The reasons for the American Revolution included taxation, but not exclusively. @Trell was joking, but you took it seriously. The reality is, only a minority of colonists supported the revolt and an equal number actively opposed it. It was as much a civil war as a revolution. Many thousands left for Canada afterwards.

My beef with your comment was that it referred to British "raping and pillaging" as if it was done by a different group of people. It reminded me of the old GDR denying any responsibility for the crimes of the Nazis, claiming that the Nazis were all in West Germany.

And no, Canada isn't innocent, which isn't something I stated, or even implied. Thanks for the strawman.
I got that impression from years of your posts but, wait, "I don't think anyone is superior to Americans"? I can't believe you wrote that.

You've changed,man. You've changed. ;)

If only a minority of the colonists supported the revolution, it wouldn't have happened. While many didn't support it because they were worried about their livelihood of farming and businesses being disrupted or ruined, those same businesses were being hammered by the treatment of their goods by the Crown and the high cost for imports. They required trade practices that were completely unfair and led to many forms of resistance.

Where have I ever written anything about Britain in the way you're replying? They're so far from innocent that they're sitting with all of the worst at the same table.

Uh, there was no 'West Germany' during WWII- that claim must have come after the blame was being assigned.

Humans, eh- give them the opportunity to be good people and what do they do? Kill millions and blame someone else.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis