Queen Elizabeth - RIP .........

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I just read an article this morning that said she "wasn't doing well today." Wasn't expecting to see this so soon... She's been like the energizer bunny!
Alas...
The page turns on us all, eventually.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I just read an article this morning that said she "wasn't doing well today." Wasn't expecting to see this so soon... She's been like the energizer bunny!
Alas...
The page turns on us all, eventually.
We must have seen the same article earlier today. The words "under medical supervision" and "doctors were concerned for her health" stood out. They didn't seem to quite match the more concerning reports that members of her family were all headed to her castle in Scotland.

I took them as the usual British understatements. To us on the western side of the pond, it seems euphemistic to say it that way.

Regardless of how it got reported, Elizabeth II was Queen of England for 70 years. That alone is quite something. She represented unity and stability since 1952. That was especially important during the collapse of British manufacturing industries and the Troubles in Northern Ireland.

I personally don't care much for monarchy as a form of government, but that doesn't diminish the respect & admiration I feel for Elizabeth Windsor, the person.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
For better or worse, she reigned longer than most people on the planet have been alive. She was no small part of history. It should have been Camilla, shameless ol’ slag.;)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Yep, we have lived and witnessed history.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
One thing I've never fully understood is the American fascination with the British Monarchy. While I agree that Queen Elizabeth is seemingly a one-of-a-kind person and in no way do I mean any disrespect by what I posted earlier, I am continually flabbergasted by the inundation of news we see about the Royals.
Is it our Disney Princess culture? Is it some profound sense of loss of cultural identity that plagues us since flipping the bird to England in 1776?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Some humans fancy themselves gods. It’s a tradition thousands of years old. It doesn’t usually end well. Disney’s rehashing of fairytales hasn’t helped for sure. Watch that family tear itself apart now that “mum” has gone to rest. Wouldn’t rule out a little civil unrest, either. Some people don’t need much of an excuse to blow off steam these days. Keep an eye on Kate. She’s in William’s ear. Granny lived too long and father is getting on. It’s killing her to see Camilla in that seat. Stayed tuned for some “Game of Thrones” s#%t. Those shenanigans should hold until election time rolls around.;)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
To counter @Trebdp83 point - there are 12 current monarchies in Europe alone (including UK and Vatican) - How many others could you name without Internet? Do you know the family names of Grand Duke Henri? The deeper question @ryanosaur is asking (and I agree) is why Americans are so occupied with the British Royal family.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Oh, I love Morarchies bands. Wait, I think we are both off.;) Most Americans only speak English. So, there that. I’m aware of other monarchies. I don’t give a s#%t about any of them and think they should all fade into history. Too many Americans are obsessed with celebrity. How else do you explain the Kardashians? Everybody seems to want to be rich and famous for doing, well, nothing. So, the Royals appeal to them. Remember Princess Grace? Many women fantasize about hitting their number and marrying a Prince to this day.The US and UK are inseparable in many ways. But, that is for another thread. Elizabeth lived a long and productive life. It matters not if one approves of what she produced. We should all be so lucky to do as well at what we do for so long. My condolences to her family.

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
To counter @Trebdp83 point - there are 12 current monarchies in Europe alone (including UK and Vatican) - How many others could you name without Internet? Do you know the family names of Grand Duke Henri?
How did/do you know there are 12 current monarchies in Europe ?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
How did/do you know there are 12 current monarchies in Europe ?
While I knew of several others on top of my head, I did, however, use that exact article to get the count of 12. :)

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
While I knew of several others on top of my head, I did, however, use that exact article to get the count of 12. :)
I tried without the Internet and I had 11; I forgot about Monaco.
I also tried the ones outside of Europe; I found many but missed several others.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The big question:

Which version of 'God Save The Queen' will be played at the funeral?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I fear that other queen will recycle another one of his ancient hits for the occasion. My money's on "Your Song." " I hope you don't mind... I hope you don't mind... that I put down in the words...how wonderful you looked... when you wore your pearls.";)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis