Purchased an old Marantz amp with issues

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
The Klipsch 10" sounds freaking great in there. Played some tunes loud and it sounds crystal clear with plenty of bass. One go-to song to test a system for me is the remastered version of the Beatles "Old Brown Shoe".
That sub doesn't have speaker-level out, just ins. That's fine with this amp of course.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
My computer has an old floor firing Klipsch 10. It has speaker-level connections. I will trade the 8 that's in that room! That's a fine resolution. So glad TLS Guy set me straight!
FYI, a true subwoofer only has speaker connections for INPUTs. For those that do not have line level subwoofer outputs on their receiver, you can connect the speaker terminals to the subwoofer instead. Any time you see multiple speaker out connections on a subwoofer, it is part of a cheap surround package.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
FYI, a true subwoofer only has speaker connections for INPUTs. For those that do not have line level subwoofer outputs on their receiver, you can connect the speaker terminals to the subwoofer instead. Any time you see multiple speaker out connections on a subwoofer, it is part of a cheap surround package.
I purchased my Yamaha 8" YST-SW215 as a stand-alone sub 25 years ago and it has ins and outs. It is now connected to my computer amp. I have seen other subs, usually, or always older ones that have them and were also not sold as a surround package. I would never, on purpose purchase a sub from a cheap KMART selling surround system. I was duped by the JBL brand on the sub I almost bought. Funny thing is is that it didn't dawn on me that I didn't need to buy one anyway, after trading the subs room to room. TLS Guy saved the day big time there. Although had I arrived there and looked at the driver I would have seen that it was not a 10" and would have passed. That is if the driver was exposed. He didn't have good photos.

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I purchased my Yamaha 8" YST-SW215 as a stand-alone sub 25 years ago and it has ins and outs. It is now connected to my computer amp. I have seen other subs, usually, or always older ones that have them and were also not sold as a surround package. I would never, on purpose purchase a sub from a cheap KMART selling surround system. I was duped by the JBL brand on the sub I almost bought. Funny thing is is that it didn't dawn on me that I didn't need to buy one anyway, after trading the subs room to room. TLS Guy saved the day big time there. Although had I arrived there and looked at the driver I would have seen that it was not a 10" and would have passed. That is if the driver was exposed. He didn't have good photos.
The ins and outs are connected together internally. Some companies add a set of outs for convenience. You can either run two sets of speaker wires from the amp to the speakers and subwoofer, or run one set to the subs and another from the subs to the speakers. Amounts to the same thing electrically. When you have more than a left and right out, then something else is up. Glad to hear it worked out in the end. The used market can be a crap shoot.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
The ins and outs are connected together internally. Some companies add a set of outs for convenience. You can either run two sets of speaker wires from the amp to the speakers and subwoofer, or run one set to the subs and another from the subs to the speakers. Amounts to the same thing electrically. When you have more than a left and right out, then something else is up. Glad to hear it worked out in the end. The used market can be a crap shoot.
That makes perfect sence. I did not know that!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis