Purchased an old Marantz amp with issues

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I bought this Marantz 1060 today for a song. I hope anyway. Worst comes to worst, I think I can sell the wood cover for what I paid. It has very heinous scratchiness in the pots that I hope just needs to be cleaned. When I take the cover(s) off, I'll post some shots so you guys can tell me what I have here. I am hoping it's never been opened.
I have a question before I start. I had an almost empty can of CRC QD Electronic Cleaner and a can of Deoxit D5. My plan is to use the CRC liberally then finish them off the more expensive Deoxit. Anyway, I went to Menards and bought what I thought was another can. Is this Electra Motive the same stuff and is it safe to use on the pots and other controls?

Attachments

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
It appears to be untouched. What do you guys think? Anything obvious from age or anything to be concerned about?
Don't go blasting that stuff everywhere! That is very harmful. It needs using surgically. What you need to do is spray a little on those contacts in the rotary switch. Now the most important thing is to get the contact cleaner onto the cursor of those potentiometers, and see where you can get some cleaner inside the potentiometers.

If it is as bad as you say, I might have to replace those pots for you.

More likely than not, this unit needs the restorers hands.

That is an early seventies unit and a classic of its type. Don't wreck it like most do, when they get a classic like that for a song.

People should really have to earn a collectors licence to buy units like that.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Well nobody piped in, so in the meantime, I sprayed into the pots, inside each. Also did the switches. I did not spray anything else. I did use a clean, new paint brush to loosen dust, then vacuumed where I could reach. I cleaned up the faceplate. It looks really good. The wood could use some touch-up someday.
I am letting the pots dry out for a little while before I fire it up. Here's hoping!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
That looks like a nice find. Hopefully the cabinet cleans up nicely but nothing a competent woodworker could not restore.

There are different types of DeoxIT, some more aggressive than others. The switches will be fairly robust but you should be careful with the pots as the carbon can wear off and then the pot needs to be replaced. I can't recall which brand is for what but I have seen YouTube videos on classic audio repair that explain which brand of DeoxIT should be used for what purpose.

Have a close look at the electrolytic capacitors and check for any bulges in the tops or leakage at the bottom. That's a sign of a bad cap that needs replacing. Some restorers will replace everything as electrolytics have a limited life, but the large filter capacitors on the power supply can last decades. You really need a capacitor tester that detects leakage and measures ESR to know for sure. If you don't see any obviously bad caps it should be safe to turn on and test, but most repair guys will use a dim bulb circuit at first to limit current and make sure there are no shorts that will damage the unit.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
It works beautifully now. Still have the covers off, but playing a CD through it. Great sound. Clean balance and volume. Bass, midrange and treble all work with no noise. This is way better than buying something "restored". Heck, if it wasn't done with proper parts, it woud likely lose the Marantz sound.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
That looks like a nice find. Hopefully the cabinet cleans up nicely but nothing a competent woodworker could not restore.

There are different types of DeoxIT, some more aggressive than others. The switches will be fairly robust but you should be careful with the pots as the carbon can wear off and then the pot needs to be replaced. I can't recall which brand is for what but I have seen YouTube videos on classic audio repair that explain which brand of DeoxIT should be used for what purpose.

Have a close look at the electrolytic capacitors and check for any bulges in the tops or leakage at the bottom. That's a sign of a bad cap that needs replacing. Some restorers will replace everything as electrolytics have a limited life, but the large filter capacitors on the power supply can last decades. You really need a capacitor tester that detects leakage and measures ESR to know for sure. If you don't see any obviously bad caps it should be safe to turn on and test, but most repair guys will use a dim bulb circuit at first to limit current and make sure there are no shorts that will damage the unit.
I do know enough to look for bulging or leaking caps and some other obvious issues. Fortunatly, I see none of that. I am not qualified to test components though. I can do easy stuff! ha.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

I always start units like that up on the Variac.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I am playing a DCC Beach Boys Endless Summer Gold CD through a pair of Minimus 7's with actual 2 way xovers installed. I have the bass turned up since they have only 4" woofers but wow! This amp makes them sound pretty great Hearing a lot of detail too. Can't wait to hook them up to my La Scalas and try a couple of LP's later on.

Attachments

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
And would it be actual Marantz "sound" or Superscope marketing for this model?
This one hasn't been restored. From what I hear, as far as the best sounding vintage amps, Sansui and Marantz are among the best or the best. Would you not compromise that sound with aftermarket parts? I don't have that kind of a discerning ear I don't think. But I'd always wonder if it was up to snuff unless it was done by a professional with authentic parts.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This one hasn't been restored. From what I hear, as far as the best sounding vintage amps, Sansui and Marantz are among the best or the best. Would you not compromise that sound with aftermarket parts? I don't have that kind of a discerning ear I don't think. But I'd always wonder if it was up to snuff unless it was done by a professional with authentic parts.
I'm just saying your Marantz is after the sale to Superscope, who started the campaign of the "audiophile" sound of Marantz that somewhat continues today for solid state gear (i.e. any "Marantz" "sound" was likely more based on their tube amps from before that). Aftermarket parts if of proper spec shouldn't be an issue and may be all that is available anyways. For solid state gear I wouldn't expect your amp to have a "sound"....that's really not desireable in an amp anyways.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Yeah, they are spring loaded clips. Seems fine. Better than some that are a plastic hole then a spring loaded metal blade secures it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I know. I'll return it.....not!
While not a particularly good reason to return it (as you should have known that's what you were getting when ordering it), but might be a point of actual need for "upgrading" an old unit like that.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis