Purchased an old Marantz amp with issues

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Yes. Unplugged. I just tried it again, having things disconnected and unplugged since last night. "popping" was not accurate. It sounded more like static noise for a fraction of a second. Then touching the wires a second time and no noise at all. Probably normal.
I'm with Highfigh. Likely just some voltage left in the caps, which is normal.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I gave up on steel wool a long time ago- sheds too much metal and it can discolor. I use ScotchBrite-

View attachment 65625

The miter joints on the case of my Fisher need to be cleaned up and re-glued. Once that's done, I'll strip it and refinish with something, not sure what I'll use. I might French Polish it, like I did for a customer who has a Mac AM/FM tuner and small power amp.
Handy chart. I printed that for future reference, thanks.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm with Highfigh. Likely just some voltage left in the caps, which is normal.
Caps don't bleed off the charge naturally, so this is the result. First time I heard it, I thought I messed up when I was installing a car stereo- I used an analog multi-meter to check the speaker wires and since it used AA batteries, it was enough to charge the caps.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You mean, the springs relax and don't hold the wire as well? I have seen that. I have also seen the plastic on these and binding posts of various types crumble. I prefer metal posts with some kind of polarity indication to a plastic part that can break and springs that can lose their tension. Not a big fan of screws, either.

Picky, aren't I?
Yep same experiences. Been a long time since I had one wit screws....

highfigh

highfigh

Yep same experiences. Been a long time since I had one wit screws....
The older Sony receiver I took in for service has short chrome-plated binding posts and mine are the spring clips, but it also has the ability to connect three sets of speakers. This was from the late-'70s, when some people used more than one set and it has positions on the selector for Speakers C, B, Off, A, A+B and A+C. Also has an External Adapter loop, to prevent using the tape loops for EQ, etc.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Yesterday, I fashioned a fiber board with 4 female banana jacks and connected wires to 4 pins so I could more easliy accomodate my La Scala 8 gauge (yeah, overkill to be sure) speaker wires. The LS' inputs go directly into the inputs of the crossovers. I have those speaker wires terminated with fork terminals and banana jacks on the other end. Anyway, this makes it less cumbersome to hook up to the LS' to this amp.
So I just put on Deep Purple "Machine Head" LP and the sound is just pure beauty. It far exceeds what I was expecting. I put the bass at around 2:30 on the knob and it just seems like an out of this world 70's experience. These La Scalas actually do have good bass.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Yesterday, I fashioned a fiber board with 4 female banana jacks and connected wires to 4 pins so I could more easliy accomodate my La Scala 8 gauge (yeah, overkill to be sure) speaker wires. The LS' inputs go directly into the inputs of the crossovers. I have those speaker wires terminated with fork terminals and banana jacks on the other end. Anyway, this makes it less cumbersome to hook up to the LS' to this amp.
So I just put on Deep Purple "Machine Head" LP and the sound is just pure beauty. It far exceeds what I was expecting. I put the bass at around 2:30 on the knob and it just seems like an out of this world 70's experience. These La Scalas actually do have good bass.
I just love that screaming Hammond B3 organ and the walking bass line in Lazy. One of my favorite rock tunes.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I have the amp at about eye-level or slightly higher. I cannot easily see the control knob lines. So I cut up little pointers from electrical tape and Bob's your uncle. I have an eight inch Yamaha sub (I might upgrade that someday) on the floor hooked up via speaker-level. There is a long rca from my computer amp in another room going to the Marantz for tunage. You can see that wire on the wall. Anyway, it sounds fantastic.

Attachments

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Would it be better to hook the sub up independently from the "B" speaker outs? They call it "remote speakers" on this amp. At the moment the sub is hooked up the conventional speaker-level way. In to the sub, sub out to the speakers.
Better for sound or otherwise?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Would it be better to hook the sub up independently from the "B" speaker outs? They call it "remote speakers" on this amp. At the moment the sub is hooked up the conventional speaker-level way. In to the sub, sub out to the speakers.
Better for sound or otherwise?
It will make zero difference, but amount to the same circuit with a different length of wiring.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Anyone ever seen this confifuration before? With a center connection? I just bought this on Marketplace. On my way to snare it now. I obviously will not use the center connection.
1708191615552.png

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Anyone ever seen this confifuration before? With a center connection? I just bought this on Marketplace. On my way to snare it now. I obviously will not use the center connection. View attachment 65914
Never saw that connection. How do you know those subs are any good? I found it. That is an absolute POS. It is an 8" sub from a small surround speaker in a box. Absolute junk and not even worth the gas to go and get it. Always avoid junk, it is costly.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Thx for the ifo TLS Guy! I am cancelling going to get it!

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I did not bother to look it up! In his description he said it was a 10. No photos of the driver, which would have helped. I just told him what he is selling is an 8.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
My computer has an old floor firing Klipsch 10. It has speaker-level connections. I will trade the 8 that's in that room! That's a fine resolution. So glad TLS Guy set me straight!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis