Proper way to set subwoofer gain .

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I think what it is, is they have 3 or 4 frequency bands that are adjustable up or down via built in peq. How many and how much I'm not sure, but there aren't any kind of actual room correction capabilities involving a mic or anything if that's what you're asking.
On the app I believe from playing with it you can adjust 20hz up to 200 hz and change the Q and the amount of boost and save it for each sub as a pre set it does look interesting. Iam positive you can dial these in with rew and a mic . And for sure the avr has a 3 band you can adjust for subs in combination this would in the same with the high and mids in the avr too . Iam intrigued with trying this now I’ll get a mic and download the software.

Your correct on your assumption on the music I listen to a lot of acoustic and current indie rock newer music sounds very good as does acoustic and totally insane with deep organ like synths and mog type with the new center for movies it’s just incredible but for some selections of rock it’s like something is missing but on sacds Blu-ray music anything lossless it’s good but I know it could be better . Just drives ya nuts lol !

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Your correct on your assumption on the music I listen to a lot of acoustic and current indie rock newer music sounds very good as does acoustic and totally insane with deep organ like synths and mog type with the new center for movies it’s just incredible but for some selections of rock it’s like something is missing but on sacds Blu-ray music anything lossless it’s good but I know it could be better . Just drives ya nuts lol !
@William Lemmerhirt did bring up the type of music. Acoustic and your typical rock n roll don't have a ton of bass to begin with so you have to be careful what material your basing your impressions on too, so just keep that in mind as well.

You get that mic ordered up tho, and you'll be able to find out for sure!

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Acoustic and your typical rock n roll don't have a ton of bass to begin with so you have to be careful what material your basing your impressions on too, so just keep that in mind as well.
Best to use music that you're very familiar with and has good bass. Not necessarily just deep bass, but good solid bass. Some music just doesn't have strong bass. I still love Pink Floyd, but some of their stuff disappoints a little in the bass department for me. I'd have them more in regular rotation if they had better bass in more of their songs.

Led Zep, Sabbath, a ton of 80's metal and other stuff from that era lack in the bass dept, imo. I'd love to see a lot of that stuff remastered with better bass. I don't mean beat it over the head with a bass stick or anything. Just enough so you can feel it a little better.

*Edit: ^^ Going for the record, using the word "bass" the most times in one post... ^^ :p

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I may have missed this while catching up. But what is the actual musical/tv content? I totally agree that the mid room placement and normal room modes are working against Mark. But, if he’s watching law and order, and listening to Billy Joel, and Styx, or SRV, etc(seems I remembered mark mentioning classic rock), there’s not much for a sub to do. Now if we’re talking about stuff from the subwoofer candy thread, we’ll that’s different lol.
I listen to a lot of different media and stream lots of movies and watch a lot of concerts on Blu-ray use iTunes library for most music I’ve stored on there now I do understand that older recordings from the 70’s and 80’s can be lacking in quality that’s the nature of the recordings and format used . These work great on movies streaming or hard copy disc but after using these for a month now sometimes it’s like some mid bass and lower bass just isn’t sounding to be the right level compared to the rest of the program material
Now on like sacds and good quality recordings it sounds fantastic good punch clear and clean . After talking with you fellas Iam thinking Iam in the middle of a null or mabey two lol .

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I listen to a lot of different media and stream lots of movies and watch a lot of concerts on Blu-ray use iTunes library for most music I’ve stored on there now I do understand that older recordings from the 70’s and 80’s can be lacking in quality that’s the nature of the recordings and format used . These work great on movies streaming or hard copy disc but after using these for a month now sometimes it’s like some mid bass and lower bass just isn’t sounding to be the right level compared to the rest of the program material
Now on like sacds and good quality recordings it sounds fantastic good punch clear and clean . After talking with you fellas Iam thinking Iam in the middle of a null or mabey two lol .
Where're your crossovers set? Speakers large/full band or small?

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Best to use music that you're very familiar with and has good bass. Not necessarily just deep bass, but good solid bass. Some music just doesn't have strong bass. I still love Pink Floyd, but some of their stuff disappoints a little in the bass department for me. I'd have them more in regular rotation if they had better bass in more of their songs.

Led Zep, Sabbath, a ton of 80's metal and other stuff from that era lack in the bass dept, imo. I'd love to see a lot of that stuff remastered with better bass. I don't mean beat it over the head with a bass stick or anything. Just enough so you can feel it a little better.

*Edit: ^^ Going for the record, using the word "bass" the most times in one post... ^^ :p
I agree and very possible that’s what Iam finding in most older tracks like I said newer stuff is Farley exceptable but could be EQ’d better if I can find where . I did find out there are factory presets for movies and music and custom settings for you to change and save too this app does things you probably shouldn’t probably play with without a mic and a program to run lol

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree and very possible that’s what Iam finding in most older tracks like I said newer stuff is Farley exceptable but could be EQ’d better if I can find where . I did find out there are factory presets for movies and music and custom settings for you to change and save too this app does things you probably shouldn’t probably play with without a mic and a program to run lol
Oh I dunno. I think a guy could fart around with it by ear and mebbe make it sound a li'l better. You can always change it back if things get worse, right? A mic would let you zoom right in on it tho. I think you're beginning to see where it'd be pretty helpful now. With the right data it sounds like you can do quite a bit with the SVS app. It would appear it's better than I thought it was.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Small . everything right now 80hz eq set to flat .
That's exactly what I was gonna recommend if you had it much different. You could try using a higher crossover. Even if just until you get the mic and really dig in. I had those SVS Ultra towers crossed at 120 hz for a while because that's just where they sounded best. Any lower and I didn't have any mid bass. Drove me crazy too because they're capable of a lot more. I'm using 80 hz right now with the Sierra towers and is working really well. They play with my room a little bit better and I'm getting better at dialing them in too.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Oh I dunno. I think a guy could fart around with it by ear and mebbe make it sound a li'l better. You can always change it back if things get worse, right? A mic would let you zoom right in on it tho. I think you're beginning to see where it'd be pretty helpful now. With the right data it sounds like you can do quite a bit with the SVS app. It would appear it's better than I thought it was.
It’s got a lot of neat features on it and you can save 3 different eq settings in the custom presets too . The fellas I talked to said it’s the same feature set they use on those big ultras . I’ll have the house to myself tomorrow and I will experiment all day I mean you can go back to the factory settings with one touch actually you can set three for movies and three for music and custom set too .

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
That's exactly what I was gonna recommend if you had it much different. You could try using a higher crossover. Even if just until you get the mic and really dig in. I had those SVS Ultra towers crossed at 120 hz for a while because that's just where they sounded best. Drove me crazy too because they're capable of a lot more. I'm using 80 hz right now with the Sierra towers and is working really well. They play with my room a little bit better and I'm getting better at dialing them in too.
I usually run at 120 too I’ve thought about running them back up to 120 to give the subs a wider frequency to play I may try that it’s weird these just blend with my front stage so well for movies and really good recordings ya sit there and think crap it’s all in my head . With all these big towers and giant center you can get some really bizarre setting on calibration for crossover points it sets everything I own at 40 hz lol .

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I usually run at 120 too I’ve thought about running them back up to 120 to give the subs a wider frequency to play I may try that it’s weird these just blend with my front stage so well for movies and really good recordings ya sit there and think crap it’s all in my head . With all these big towers and giant center you can get some really bizarre setting on calibration for crossover points it sets everything I own at 40 hz lol .
Yeah, they all do that. In fact Audyssey usually sets my mains to large, and they're not full range speakers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So you've pretty much decided it then? I gotcha covered for the link. I bookmarked it a long time ago.

I think between your subs' peq capabilities and the ability to see right where to apply it you might be able to make some significant improvements.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This page has some info and links to more info. It does not have the most up to date, recommended beta versions of REW, but does have some links to useful info.

For the latest beta versions of REW go to AVNirvana.

Just click on the version that matches up with your pc. You'll need to sign up and make an account to download. It's no biggie. No more than signing up here.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
So you've pretty much decided it then? I gotcha covered for the link. I bookmarked it a long time ago.

I think between your subs' peq capabilities and the ability to see right where to apply it you might be able to make some significant improvements.
Thanks much when I get it I’ll play around and come back at ya with probably lots of questions lol !

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I definitely agree that you’re experiencing some FR issues. Every room has some, it’s just how it is. I was just curious about what you were listening to. Content is King, and while there is definitely quality bass lines and even good bass in some older recordings, it was treated differently than nowadays lol.
If you do get a umik I’m sure we’ll be able to get you closer than you see now. I think between the SVS and audyssey apps plus a distance tweak, you’ll be solid.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
You can limit what Audyssey does from any given frequency and down too, if you don't want your speakers eq'd above say, 120 hz it's super simple to do. Like I said, I like to use it in tandem with the mini, for adjustments above the (80 hz) crossover. If I really roll my sleeves up and go full on ocd I can get to within +/- 2 dB from 16 - 200 hz.

*Edit

View attachment 48964
Yes that looks nice. I've only used REW and MiniDSP for below 90 and largely just to integrate my famous mismatching subs :) What you have done there is well done.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The greatroom as well as the basement now as of a week ago have multiple subs being controlled thru a minidsp. That being said and before even using the minidsp, I set the AVR gain to 0 with the range going from -10 to +10 db on the AVR, and I set the gain on the subs to the 50% mark. I took measurements at the same location to ensure the outputs were equal in SPL. Now that the minidsp controls the sub, I use the AVR gain to increase bass SPL.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis